THR Val’s Recovery

That’s really interesting about the icing and perhaps the reason why it’s not pushed here in the UK. I am going to a group physiotherapy session at the hospital on Wednesday so I will bring it up with the physiotherapist.
There are so many people on this forum that advocate icing, it seems hard to believe that it is the wrong thing to do when it obviously brings relief from pain.
 
I Iced a lot more this time round and both the hospital
And the recovery place I went to recommended it. It was normal for the knee patients and this was an NHS hospital. 5 years ago and same hospital this wasn’t the case.

Andy Murray went to the same recovery home I went to and bought his own icing team in!

Icing really helped re the pain and with getting off the morphine. Muscles around my hip are healing fine.

The wrap around packs from Amazon that you can strap around your hip are great.

Fir reassurance you may want to check with your surgeon and physio but I think icing is much more accepted now.
 
Well if it’s good enough for Andy Murray….. I’ll have a look at the packs you suggested on Amazon.
 
Holy cow - there is actually a debate about using Ice? I did not know that. I'm going to go back into my cave of ignorance and get a fresh gel pack out of the freezer...

Essex Girl - looking forward to your next update and if you've joined us on "Team Ice" or stayed on "Team Inflammation Good".
 
Well if it’s good enough for Andy Murray….. I’ll have a look at the packs you suggested on Amazon.
He bought in his own team and ice machine! But the recovery place I went to had ice machines and we used them after physio or when we wanted. I then bought the strap on gel packs from Amazon and they have been brilliant. I really do think they helped with the recovery and helped me get off the strong meds.. 4 months on, if I overdo the exercise I still use them. .
 
Good Morning All,
Could I request to change the title of my thread to “ Val’s Recovery” please?
 
Hi Essex Girl/Val. I had hip no 2 done in Essex....and had to fight and argue for the ice in hospital but got it in the end...and, yep, it's good. I did not see Andy Murray there but I am sure he was also an NHS patient. Good luck with the fizzio terrorist. I found them to be very pushy but as soon as I could get in a pool, just to walk, that really helped. Good luck with your recovery, it takes time and patience and most of your questions can be answered on bonesmart. And a Merry Christmas to you.
 
Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well.

I’m now 7 weeks out and think I’m doing quite well but have a few little niggles. I’m out and about and walking without crutches and driving again ( hurray!).
There is one particular thing though that is causing me pain and wondered if anyone else has experienced something similar. I’ve noticed that when I’ve done quite a bit of walking ( example : yesterday went Christmas shopping at the shopping centre for about 3 hours), the next day my foot on operated side gives me serious pain. The pain is underneath on the arch of the foot. This has happened on several occasions now. I’m guessing it’s the way I’m walking but I don’t know how to remedy it. I’ve tried consciously walking the “ heel/toe” way but this doesn’t come naturally to me and I have to really concentrate to do it.
It doesn’t seem to make a difference what shoes I’m wearing as I’ve worn my Sketchers trainer type shoes and my loafers and the foot pain occurred with both.

The other little niggle is the area around the scar is still quite sore and tender (although visually healing very well). I can’t sit or lay on it and sometimes when I’m driving and have to sit on it a bit, it’s quite uncomfortable.

I suppose seven weeks is still early days and perhaps I’m just expecting too much too soon.

Thanks for reading, my fellow hippies:)
 
Hi! Maybe a small cushion between your hip and seatbelt to stop rubbing and use a tennis ball to roll across the bottom of your foot when you get home - it untenses the muscles.. Just a few thoughts.. Hope things get better soon.
 
I’m guessing it’s the way I’m walking but I don’t know how to remedy it. I’ve tried consciously walking the “ heel/toe” way but this doesn’t come naturally to me and I have to really concentrate to do it.
I had a similar issue during my hip recovery and was told it was my body trying to adapt to the new alignment of my leg.

Prior to surgery, as our hips deteriorate, our bodies make adjustments to ease the pain. These changes are subtle and, because they occur slowly, we don't even notice that we are favoring the leg or limping or splaying our foot out to the side. We live with that bad alignment for so long that, when the hip is fixed and our alignment is corrected, all the surrounding tissue has to "relearn" what to do.

It does get better with time and heel-toe walking is one of the best things you can to do for yourself. Yes, it does take concentration and practice. My best tip is to slow down and step purposefully. If you practice it for a few weeks, it will begin to feel more natural.
 
That actually makes perfect sense, benne68. I think I need to concentrate more on my steps. Thinking also that perhaps I should go back to using one crutch for support when I’m going to be walking for a longer time.
 
Yes, by all means, use a walking aid, if your gait is better with it!
 
I asked about the scar at my last appointment.
Mine isn't sore and is healing well.

My surgeon said to use bio oil( in my case ) and use two thumbs to make little circles up and down the scar to massage and promote healing. Two thumbs isn't possible so so I use thumb and fingers to break up the hard tissue underneath.
Gently with pressure.. not vigorously .

I do that twice a day every day and never leave my scar "dry" always hydrated.

My scar is healing well and in the early weeks I had sensitivity and wasn't comfortable.

Icing helped the swelling underneath.
 
So yesterday I stayed home and took things easy, but this morning when I got up my foot was hurting just as much. I’m currently sitting with a bag of frozen peas under the arch of my foot.

Of course, I’ve googled the symptoms and “plantar fasciitis” seems to fit my symptoms, but i can’t find anything that says this could be a problem following hip replacement surgery. There are insoles you can get to put in your shoes but I’m not sure this is something I should be doing. I’m thinking I might ring the PT team at the hospital, I went there last week and was discharged but was told I can ring them anytime if I’ve got any concerns.

I’m really upset that I’ve got this pain in my foot as recovery was going so well.
 
Hi! Glad things are going so well! I replaced all well loved shoes after surgery as they were not comfy anymore. I read here where tread patterns from prior to surgery could be from compensation. This may help and you get new shoes! My surgical foot is still swollen. Plantar fasciitis is not fun.
 
If you do have plantar fasciitis Get a frozen bottle of water and roll back and forth with your foot for several minutes a day, also tennis ball can do the trick as well.
As far as ice vs no ice during recovery: once again how each of us recovers is our own personal journey. We suggest treatments that helped us but might not help next person.
You need to find out what works for you.
 
I iced the arch of my foot with a bag of frozen peas ( will try the frozen bottle of water next) and it has definitely helped the pain.
 
I developed plantar fasciitis with my left foot post-op. I attribute it to walking with the wrong shoes without enough arch support. The frozen water bottle helps and I had to roll it often. Look into calf and achilles tendon stretches, easy to do leaning on a wall or chair.
 
Sorry you had it too, Eman85 but reassuring that I’m not the only one. Did you buy any type of arch support to put in the shoe? That’s what I’m thinking but don’t want to do the wrong thing for my new hip.
I will definitely have a look at the calf/archilles tendon exercises.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom