THR Val’s Recovery

Hello everyone, hope you’re all doing well.

I am now a little over 6 months post surgery and have been doing really well, walking normally with no pain. However, over the past few days I’ve noticed some discomfort in my butt cheek ( incision went part way up the cheek) and in my left hip where the scar is. It is uncomfortable when I sit and sometimes it’s a very painful stabbing sensation. The thigh is still swollen a bit and the pain/discomfort there is like a deep, muscle or tissue pain. The area still hurts to touch, like a deep bruising feeling and I still can’t lay on that side. I’m just wondering why this has suddenly started to hurt after all this time, I thought I was past that phase now.
Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.
 
I’m not sure if I’ve done this right, I already have a thread with the above title. I posted on there yesterday but haven’t had any responses yet so am wondering if I’ve done something wrong? Sorry!
 
Hello @EssexGirl,
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.
 
Have you increased your activity recently? This can cause pain to crop up. Are you icing and elevating? That should help with the pain. You can always contact your care team to see what they say.
 
Soft tissue problems can occur in the months well beyond your surgery. It can stem from muscle weakness, problem with your gait, or sometimes it just “happens.”

Is there anything that helps with the pain or is it constant all the time? I agree that because you are experiencing both pain and swelling, it would be good to get an appointment with your surgeon for an evaluation.
 
Good AM Essex,
Have you done something different or increased any type of activity?
These aches & pains crop up here & there, if I've learned anything about hip recovery it's that it can be challenging at times no matter how far along you are in the process.
I'd ice area and relax for an afternoon & see if pain subsides. Usually one day of chilling out does help.
Keep us posted!
 
Good Afternoon All,
Haven’t posted for a while but feel the need to check in today. I am now 9 months post TLH replacement but am still having considerable discomfort around scar area. It is a deep bruised pain ( hard to explain properly) inside the area which means I still can’t lay on that side and if something knocks against it I am in so much pain. Even having a handbag on my shoulder which rests against my hip is painful. Sometimes one of the cats might jump on it and I nearly hit the roof with the pain! The hip doesn’t hurt when I walk, I don’t limp and I can walk a fair distance. It’s just this deep “hurt” when something touches it.
Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!
 
Please read this article and see if it sounds like what you are experiencing. If it is similar, a visit to your GP may help.
 
Thank you Jamie, I have read the article and I think this might be the problem I’m having. I’ve actually now made an appointment with my surgeon (not until September unfortunately) so hopefully he will be able to diagnose the symptoms.
 
That’s great. Please let us know how things go. If this is the problem, a cortisone shot may go a long way to ease your symptoms, but it can be a while before things resolve completely, so you’ll need to keep on top of it. It can take 6-10 weeks to heal and during that time it’s best to limit your activities, rest, and ice so as not to cause further irritation.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom