THR Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!

Happy Belated Birthday @Granny Di ! Don't know how I missed it. I am so sorry your back and other hip is acting out. I too have been so frustrated with not being able to do what I think I should be able to do. But do not mess with your back. I learned that lesson the hard way. We will have to cool our jets and listen to what our body will tolerate. Also for me what is allowed because of restrictions. No bike for me as it breaks the 90 degree...I can rock on the pedals...lol....stuff can make you so mad that well..you know! lets hope that each day and week will bring new successes. Hugs the you!:loveshwr::flwrysmile:
 
Your biking and walking adventures sound amazing @Granny Di Di - I think I would have been a LOT more hesitant to get on my bike if it involved sand and bears - arrghh! I just have to look out for caravans (tourist season, but they are VERY welcome :) ) and suck down the odd fly. Staying on the tarmac too.

The distance you are walking is wonderful. I think I am going to get out there shortly and see if I can do the town yet/walk for an hour. I have my hiking pole and I think I will take it to keep me straight and getting narrow. Ha!
 
Well I am in a funk -the first deep funk since the operation -and I am struggling to get out. Usually I can talk myself up or my husband can but it isn't working now. My op hip is good but I have sciatic pain on the other side.
I see my OS June 16th to measure my leg and make sure they are the same length. Maybe if the rain stopped I would feel better.
 
:roseshwr:@Granny Di so sorry to hear about the sciatic pain. It quite takes your breath away. I can understand how frustrating and debilitating this pain can be especially with all the effort gone into the recovery of our bodies and gaining mobility. Sending hugs, thoughts, and doing a sunshine dance for you. Lol...maybe a sunshine wish. I have an appointment Friday with the PA. I need to get answers about the restrictions because dislocation is a constant source of worry for me. Have you moved into your cottage yet? You always are so full of sunshine and optimism. You can solve this! :console2:​
 
Oh yes, @Granny Di, Di - sunshine would definitely improve things for how you feel overall, and I just looked at your weather forecast, and it looks like Thursday and Sunday are all-day-outside-days for you and your pineal gland. As for the rest: usual prescription of chocolate, back rubs, patting pets and perhaps a game of dirty Scrabble with your loved one. It won't get rid of the pain, but should keep you busy.

:SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile:
When IS your summer in that part of Canada? Is this the El Nino that gives you too much rain and us none? They have been predicting it for a while. If so, we could both be in trouble, so I hope Sunbunny's sunny dance works! Invest in sou'westers. I will go for parasols.
 
I knew you two @sunbunny and @Great Aunt Janet would get me laughing. Is dirty scrabble what I think it is? Must try that!
The worst thing we did was bring TV to the cottage so we no longer play scrabble. We used to have a running score for the summer and now baseball is on tout le temp. More french for you Janet. The long range summer forecast is for rain and cooler temps -same as last year -not good.
It gets warmer in July and the skeeters only come out at night then.
We were cleaning up the garage yesterday, which squirrels invaded this past winter demolishing tons of pine cones leaving a huge mess and the bending to sweep up really did me in. Walking I can do so I will stick to that but it is hard as I hate the mess. Thanks for the pep talks! I need to avoid chocolate as I have gained 5 pounds suddenly! Yikes! We moved to the cottage mid May - we are only 25 minutes away from our house - crazy huh?
I saw these bears on my way into town recently. They are huge! Our daughter lives in Lima Peru so I know the southern seasons are the opposite to ours. OOPS Bears wouldn't load.
Signing off with a smile! Thank you!
 
@Granny Di and @Great Aunt Janet thanks for the laugh this morning. Ooh. Dirty scrabble. My hubby and I play a game called Hand and Foot and no Janet it is not a funky petting game! Lol.It is a card game similar to Canasta. I actually am in a card club of 12 that play. That is if I can ever sit on this new behind more than an hour. Baseball is on here too...College World Series. On another thought...do you have any memory of actually being able to get into cabinets, closets, and drawers below our waist? I know there is good stuff there! Just last night I gave thought to using my grabber and emptying a cabinet for make up remover. I know it is there. When I set myself up for this surgery I moved supplies for a month or so. Little did I know that the saga will continue. Diane squirrels are a thorn in my side. They eat the bird seed and have demolished several bird feeders as well as rooted flowers. I have a squirrel proof finch feeder that they have not conquered yet. Song bird feeder is not so lucky. Wishing you gals a great day. Hugs:loveshwr::flwrysmile::egypdance::old:​
 
[Bonesmart.org] Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!
Two big grass guzzlers on the side of the road
 
@sunbunny & @Great Aunt Janet - The sun came out and I went for a walk in the provincial park that is close to our cottage with our Chessie and a neighbour dog who visits regularly and really that was all I needed to get feeling better along with your funny cheerful posts.
I do have trouble bending down and crouching - or rather getting up! I moved rugs pre surgery and can't find two of them. They must be under something and I am not bending down to look. I cleaned out my kayak today as a mouse had left messages (as GA Janet would say) and I don't think I will ever be able to get into it again and if I do I won't be able to get out. I was too afraid to try. This muffin top that has attached to my middle isn't helping either.:kayak:
A cottage neighbour who had THR two weeks ago came by for a visit and that cheered me up too. His femur fractured during the surgery -made me realize I am lucky to have it all go well.
We will keep on healing!
Cheers!
Diane
 
Do those bears really (just) eat grass @Granny Di? And look at that grass, couldn't take my eyes off it, what the roos and emus wouldn't give for a square metre of that here! That's all that rain you've had.

I agree with you and @sunbunny about the getting down to bottom drawers, although I am managing it better these days, using the golfers reach still as I still have the 90 degree restriction for another 3 weeks (can't wait, but how do I start to bend more then? scary). I can get down on to my knees if I have to, using golfers thingo again, but there is a lot of grunting to get up again safely - but at least that means I can find my dropped contact lens before the dog eats it!
:dogsniff:
The TV thing is the bane of my life too. My husband just loves watching all sorts of stuff, but I always feel I am missing out on something better when I sit there all evening (unless it is Elementary, or Fortitude maybe). When we first moved here, our TV arial needed replacing and we didn't get it done for about 5 months - it was bliss! Read heaps of books and went for walks, played music. So civilised. And of course watching TV requires the dreaded sitting.

Info for you board/card players (much too brainwork for me!) - dirty scrabble simply requires that every word put down is agreed to be 'dirty'. After a while, it's as much about how you say it as what it is you say. Makes me laugh anyway, and even though it may not cause a romp at the end, it does remind me of the eating scene in Tom Jones, with all those lascivious looks. Anyone else remember that? :eyebrows:
 
@Great Aunt Janet - I do remember the eating scene in Tom Jones - much preferable to watching actual sex scenes IMHO. I will have to try the dirty scrabble if I can get the TV off for an evening.
I haven't done the physio exercises for a few days - quite a few days actually but I am doing enough. Our cottage is on a gradual slope but going up and down to the lake (Icounted 60 steps) several times a day is enough exercise for me along with the general cleaning up, trying to garden and shopping - I shopped on my own yesterday and it was tiring loading all the bags of groceries into the car. I am really out of shape but trying to staying positive and looking long term at getting back to where I was pre op.
This morning we had a big bull moose come out across the lake and I got a good movie of it before it went back into the bush. I love being at the cottage! Sun is shining! I'm out of the dumps!
Have a great day!
 
Doesn't the sun make you feel good, Di? Although we have a few dark and stormy looking things over us today and everyone is praying for rain. You had moose - would love to see one of those! - and I had big kangaroos staring at me and the dogs whilst we walked today (s'all OK folks, they're on leads, not gonna run after you) - we have so much wildlife in town right now, all looking for food.

I agree with you about the not needing the physio because of all the normal day to day stuff you are doing - because that makes me feel less guilty for not doing my exercises too! Well, I am cycling about, walking here and there, and all over our big site at work, stairs and all... but I haven't lifted a leg in anger (PT) for days and days, and keep wondering if that is OK. After all, I just want to use my legs for living normally, don't I. Feels OK!
:happydance:
Have a lovely weekend - and we will both hope for the weather we need!!!
 
The weather has changed for the better so I did a bit of gardening today. @Great Aunt Janet I agree with you about just wanting to do ordinary stuff. I remember when my hip was jammed years ago and the PT was forcing it to move as if I was a ballerina. I said Whoa Buddy! I just want to be able to walk, ski and ride -not do the splits.
He made it worse and I never went back.
I just noticed that my leg is not so numb anymore. Another bit of progress -the old bod is doing its stuff.
Some day I will get to Oz and see roos in their natural habitat.
Have a great weekend all!
 
I biked today and I am still alive and in one piece. YAY! 12 km in 40 minutes on a paved road in the park which is not flat but not hilly either - just right for a recovering hippy. So that's my baseline and I will try to improve my time and lengthen the distance. I am so excited! My caboose is a little tender though. :heehee:
I don't want to discourage anyone - on Monday it will be 12 weeks since my surgery -but I was in very good shape before I blew my hip hiking in November - so it is easier for me to get back to biking and walking than for a more sedentary person.
I am so happy! :wave:
 
Sheesh! Not discouraged - very, very encouraged by your form! I am off to garden group (well, cake eating group, truth be known) this morning and will bike over, and then go and visit a friend on the pushie in the afternoon as well. Still won't get to 14km but will think of you and try hard. :)
 
When I first started this journey so many years ago, I had hopes of riding a bicycle, something I haven't done for years. I did a lot of PT before I realized it was my hip that was causing my trouble. Can an old dog return to old tricks? I so happy to be walking without pain or walking device, albeit slowly -- 8 wks Monday.
Kudos to you @Granny Di and @Great Aunt Janet for your cycling prowess! :bicycle2:
 
@wcgirl - Eight weeks is very early in this damn recovery stuff but it seems like forever. We just have to keep at it slow and easy and try to stay positive. Not that easy to do, especially in our sixties. I too let it go on too long taking meds that really did nothing to keep it from getting worse and only disguised the pain. Keep on trucking -you can do this!
 
Back
Top Bottom