THR Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!

Hi @Michegon - I can cross my legs at the ankles, even at the knees. BUT if I lie down and bend my knee I can only press my leg OUT so far although I can go farther than I could pre-op and it doesn't hurt. The OS said that I will not be able to go further and should not try. My back is too bad to do the ball stretch -retrolisthesis etc etc so I have to be careful. I am happy being able to bike and can put up with the stiffness afterwards as it doesn't last too long. I can't wait to find out what it is like one year post op! Must be great. It is good of you to post so long after your own op. Thanks for caring!
 
Journal Update: On June 22 I walked for 30 minutes on uneven ground through long grass. BIG MISTAKE!
It was too uneven and set my hip and leg to complaining for two days. I had to double up on the tylenol for a bit and I think that makes my ears buzz. Lesson learned.
Cheers!
 
Good reminder @Granny Di - things can still catch you out, can't they? Don't you have snakes to worry about over there, in your long grass? I had a brief stumble the other day (tripped over a sprinkler, it was still dark when I was dog walking) and gave myself a fright but absolutely no pain. I do feel lucky!
 
@Great Aunt Janet -Yes we have snakes but not to worry as they are non-poisonous garter snakes -well it would hurt if one bit you but they disappear quickly and are rarely seen. I looked up Longreach and you really are in the outback. Is there just cattle farming or is there mining also? Not many trees or much water there but the sunsets are spectacular. I used Google Earth and looked at the photos posted. There are so many places to visit and just not enough time or money.:sad: Glad you didn't fall and hurt yourself. It is scary until we are all healed. Stay safe!
 
@Granny Di
I know what you mean about uneven ground. I tried walking the hills in my neighbor and I would be down for a nap and sore all over the very next day. That is when I started driving to a flat area where I can walk. Take care! Remember to rest. :)
@Great Aunt Janet
So glad the sprinkler in the dark didn't knock you down~ we have so many things to think about when we move our bodies don't we?! I worry a bit about getting back to life and moving or twisting wrong and causing injury. I hope that worry passes.
 
@Granny Di Hi. The bike ride sounds like fun. I used to try to ride but always seemed to get flat tires - usually when going downhill at high speed - and I got tired of crash and burn. I did do the "sit in chair pedal thingie on the floor" at PT today - didn't really like it but the seat on the stationary bike didn't look very enticing. Maybe next time.
Sounds like you're doing awesome!

Patti in Vail AZ
 
I walked for 30 minutes on uneven ground through long grass.
What seems impossible one day is usually easy when you try it again. Please don't be discouraged. You are still building muscle strength.
 
Thanks for the encouragement @Jaycey. I have been having/fighting negative thoughts lately but on a positive note I got into my kayak for the first time and even better I was able to get out - without falling in the water!
Cheers!
 
Hey @Granny Di ~ thanks for my chuckle for the day!
:kayak:
I have a friend who is a high left leg amputee; she and her husband are avid kayakers and horseback riders. The "getting out" would be my worry.

Patti in Vail AZ
 
@Granny Di
I think fighting negative thoughts has to be a normal reaction to our recovery process. Even though we all experience it doesn't make it any easier. I keep looking forward to the day I forget which hip was replaced. But it does feel like forever doesn't it? We are where we are. Sending virtual hugs your way.
Kayak~ I couldn't do it with two good hips! Go girl!
 
My my @Granny Di - kayaking already! Brilliant - I love a bit of paddling myself, and we do have a couple of very basic kayaks for when it eventually rains and the rivers fill, so it is great to know it is do-able. I used to fall in pre-op, very undignified. So I think I will practice some moves to get myself ready. Inspired! :)
 
@Granny Di congrats on the kayak! Sounds like you are gaining adventures daily. I started out patient PT last week and have rejoined my swim class. Another first was driving. It is nice to regain mobility even at turtle speed. Lol.
 
I was away for a week visiting the grandchildren at their cottage -13 of us in all -5 kids swimming, fishing, boating and I was exhausted when I got home so I am enjoying the peace and quiet. I can only do so much before I get tired and sore.
Today was my second day without tylenol and by supper time I was hurting so had a pill. I saw my chiro today about my bad back (retrolisthesis and anterolisthesis) and he doesn't seem to be able to or want to do anything to help me. I am disappointed and may have to see someone else. I sure don't want back surgery.
Our old dog collapsed this morning when we were walking and I had to get the car to pick him up. I can sympathize with the poor old guy. We are getting a puppy at the end of July. Something to look forward to -I think.
:puppysmooze:
 
@Granny Di
Oh my goodness! You are an awesome Granny~ it sounds like your week was great. I do understand that wonderful feeling of getting back to home sweet home and rest though. No wonder you needed a pain pill!
As for your chiro~ was he not wanting to help because you are still recovering from major surgery? Maybe it's a matter of healing a little longer?
I'm so sorry your doggie isn't well and how worried you must have been having to go get your car to bring him home. Sounds like a new pup will brighten your days as you spend time with your old doggie. :dogsniff:
 
@Granny Di wow you had a very busy week. I have not found any activity yet that does not cause some sort of muscle ache, burn, throb in either my new hip, my back and or knees. The difference is that it does seem to get better with time and ice. It is not constantly in one place. Today it is at the top of my incision on the outside of my leg. Each time at PT I address with her whatever is causing pain. She assures me it is not the implant but the effect of my muscles and tendons. Sometimes I get frustrated over how long the recovery is. i know each recovery has it's own timeframe but somehow I feel like I should be able to do more. Strength and endurance are elusive for me. I hope you can find some relief for your back. Hugs
 
Back
Top Bottom