THR Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!

I went to the fracture clinic to have the OS check my leg length at 12 weeks. I had to go for another X-ray and then he pulled my legs, straightened them out and said one leg was a 2 cmd longer than the other. From reading the bonesmart literature I knew that this is not an accurate method so I questioned him politely "Oh is that an accurate measurement?" He replied that it was and gave me a prescription for shoes with a lift in one. I am very disappointed. He also said that the sciatic pain on my good leg is caused by the stretching of the nerve during surgery on the op leg. I didn't realize that could happen to the good leg- I knew it could happen to the operated leg. Sheesh! So I don't know what to do next. I guess I will see my GP and get his advice.
 
Hi Di - your OS doesn't sound like he had a very inspiring day, does he? I wonder if any surgeons ever read the contents of this forum?

I agree with @Sullivand - it is worth pursuing answers that you feel confident about and can believe in - maybe your GP or maybe a good PT or chiropractor?

By the way, thanks for sending the completely delicious 40mm of rain we had last night. Bless. Smells lovely here this morning! :)
 
@Granny Di can you use a lift insert in your shoe? I am sorry about your sciatica...horrible pain. Hope you can get some answers. My left (operated leg) is longer now too. I go to PT next week and I am going to get them to measure. I had a lift insert from when I was in a boot with Achilles. I know you have to be careful because all of it is connected. I can tell the difference in leg length when I walk without aids, which causes me to limp. I hope we can get this sorted out. Hugs
 
Thanks to you all for your encouraging and good advice. I am sure it will all work out but I know I am not going to wear a big ortho type shoe - stubborn soul that I am. I haven't even looked at the prescription he gave me.
With exercise over a long period of time my body will heal. That's my mantra - body heal thyself - but the next time I tell a doctor one of my symptoms and that doctor says that he has that too I am going to scream.
:gaah::tantrum::headbang::tantrum2:
 
I wear crocs all the time here at the cottage @sunbunny -easy to slip on and off and to insert an insole into. Yes Dr Scholl's is what I was thinking IF my legs don't start agreeing with each other. We don't have fire ants here but I have heard they can be dangerous. We sure have lots of mosquitos now and need a good heat wave to burn them off. Every time the dog comes in he brings in a cloud and we zap them with the electronic rackets. Great way to get rid of pent up anger!
 
I went to the fracture clinic to have the OS check my leg length at 12 weeks. I had to go for another X-ray and then he pulled my legs, straightened them out and said one leg was a 2 cmd longer than the other. From reading the bonesmart literature I knew that this is not an accurate method so I questioned him politely "Oh is that an accurate measurement?" He replied that it was and gave me a prescription for shoes with a lift in one. I am very disappointed. He also said that the sciatic pain on my good leg is caused by the stretching of the nerve during surgery on the op leg. I didn't realize that could happen to the good leg- I knew it could happen to the operated leg. Sheesh! So I don't know what to do next. I guess I will see my GP and get his advice.
Granny Di.....I'm going to tag @Josephine to comment on what your therapist has told you. It doesn't sound quite right to me as a reason for the pain you're experiencing. Also, at only 3 months out from your surgery, you might want to think twice about using the lift. More than likely your body is still adjusting to your new hip and it's quite possible that your pelvis still has some work to do there to get balanced to your new normal. I'd give it another 3 months and see how you feel. If you use a lift too soon, your pelvis does not have the ability to make those adjustments. One other thing....have you purchased new shoes following your surgery? You should. Your old ones have wear patterns consistent with your old hip's alignment. Even a slight problem with the wear pattern can cause back or leg pain once your hip is normalized.
 
Great info Jamie. I did not know this. @Jamie I definitely had the pelvis tilt. My hip joint was buried. I also like Diane have a slightly longer left leg, no limping with walker, slight limp wth cane and limp with just me. Should I stick with walker to retrain the pelvis? Thank you...see onside PT on Tuesday. PA was no help..said sure use a lift, Dr. Scholls makes them. Not very scientific as I have L5 unstable disc too. Do not want to mess it all up. I had a very bad gait with limping prior to replacement. Much improved now. Nine weeks out. Sorry for hijacking with questions. But have similar issues.
 
You need to stay with the walking aid that allows you to walk properly with good long strides and no limp. If that's a walker, then use it until you find that you can master crutches or a cane with no limp. Only then is it okay to switch. And then you would work on your gait with that new aid. Same process in moving from crutches to cane or to nothing. Not everyone uses all the walking aids available. For example, I'm a real klutz with crutches and never really liked a cane with either of my knees. I stayed with a walker until I was pretty much able to walk with nothing. There are no rules here for time with walking aids. It's what works to enable you to walk with a proper gait. Limping is never a good thing for you.
 
Thank you @Jamie! I will purchase new shoes as you have advised. I have been wearing crocs and sandals mostly with trail running shoes for trail walks. I was walking well without pain or limping for quite a while when the tendon snapping occurred and after that the sciatic pain when I bear weight for the first few steps and then as long as I straighten up with super good posture the pain down the leg is gone.
In my mind I was thinking I need more time for my body to adjust and I have taken it easy for over a week except for a few bike rides and normal household yard activities.
I need new sneakers anyway. Thanks again for your advice.
 
After being pretty lazy for days and not doing the exercises my physiotherapist prescribed I went for a walk today - 43 minutes on the cottage sand trails with my ski walking poles it's a bit hilly- good long stride and very little tendon snapping trouble. No tylenol yesterday or today and I feel good -no pain yet. Right leg numbness is almost gone -it comes back when I am overworked I think. Yep you have to listen to your body and work in the rest and recoup times for sure.
 
He also said that the sciatic pain on my good leg is caused by the stretching of the nerve during surgery on the op leg.
Well, he's right and he's wrong. Of course it's not caused by the stretching of the nerve during surgery! That's on the other leg. But it is caused by the LLD left after the hip replacement. The pelvic tilt can create muscle spasm in that leg which can irritate the sciatic nerve. I suggest you see a chiropractor who can work on the muscle spasm and nerve irritation.
 
He said that the sciatic nerve branches and as he stretches the nerve on the op hip the branch going down the good leg gets squeezed. I don't know if that is right or not but I think it has more to do with all of my back problems and poor posture to accommodate hip pain than the nerve getting squeezed. I had the same pain before the surgery but on the bad leg.
Anyhow I will get better -I am sure of it. I think I will see my chiro to get his opinion.
 
Thanks @Sullivand. The pain is not that bad and time heals -I hope.
Yes @wcgirl -That's lil ol me hiking in Patagonia last November when I blew my hip. Notice I am leaning on the sign? haha... I could not do the last 3 hikes and had to "ride" wheelchairs in the airports coming home. Very disappointing.
 
June 20th update record for myself-I managed to bike the 12 km park road in 50 minutes with my main caretaker. That is a slow time for us but I have lost a lot of strength and cardio so baby steps, baby steps. I can put my knee to my chest now which I have not been able to do for years. The OS said I would not be able to sit cross legged ever as it might dislocate. I don't know how to describe that position? Anyway I think I am making progress but my back was sure stiff after the biking. At least I can do it! :bicycle1:
 
@Granny Di Hi, Congrates on the bike ride! I'm a couple weeks till 1 year time. What's neat about healing is that you find out new things every day' I just read your post and i can cross my legs with a little help with my hands. But i don't feel the pressure of the hip wanting to go pop out. I still have the feeling i have to protect my hips at all costs. Stretching over the physio ball will help your back.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom