THR Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!

@Granny Di

You are so right! We may be getting older but it beats the alternative. Since I have been lucky enough never to have had surgery before, I was sure I was going to die on the table. But I made it and I was on a natural high for a week just to still be here and see the sun rise! That's the nice thing about texting and email and message boards like this. We can always refresh our memories!
 
We are off tomorrow to pick up our puppy -a female Chesapeake Bay Retriever- our 4th Chessie and I am excited!
She will be so much work but worth it. Our poor old Chessie is 13 and needs a younger gal in his life.
Will be gone about a week. Take care of yourself!
 
Hi @sunbunny !
We got home today with the pup and she is the cutest Chesapeake Bay ever but we hated spending the hottest days of the summer in the car. Five nights away and hours driving is not good for the old hips. I have the hardest time standing up and getting those first few steps in which has made me realize (and accept) from the pain that the "good" hip has to go too. :sad:
She seems to be a perfect pup so far - I cannot put a picture up for some reason.
Thanks for asking Sunbunny -how are you doing?
 
We have a baby in the house which means waking up at sunrise, frequent walks, feedings and belly rubs.
Introducing Whoa Nelly the Chesapeake Bay.
[Bonesmart.org] Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!
[Bonesmart.org] Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!
 
Puppies are so much work! Our older Chessie is 13.5 years so it has been a long time since we had a puppy. She gets the new hip working.:doggie::dogwalk::puppysmooze:
 
@donor @Sullivand @sunbunny - I'm way too old for a pup! She yelped at 2:30 am, 5:30 am and 7:00 - I am so tired and there is so much to do around here but I am too tired. Too tired to do my walk and exercises -of course "He Who Wanted a Dog" sleeps on his "1,2,3 go!" command while I lie awake. Grrrr!
"Why the hell did I agree to this?" I ask. Then Nelly the Chessie comes into bed and smothers me with licks and playful nips and I can't stop laughing.
 
Good luck with your puppy. She is adorable. I've enjoyed watching our grand puppy growing up. Have yet to meet her!
 
Recovery Report: Start of Week 20
Just in case someone might be interested in where one grandmother is at 20 weeks.

After a week of travelling and not doing regular routine exercises but lots of chasing the puppy, some easy swimming with the grandkids kinda stuff I got back to biking - two days in a row! Baby steps!
1. I can walk without a limp once I get going - longest distance was 6.5 kms although shopping at Costco felt longer.
2. Longest bike ride was about 15 kms in one hour (Last summer I could do 40 kms easily.) So don't compare yourself to me as I was fairly fit for age 68 last year -unless of course you are a fairly fit 68 year old.
3. My knee hurts -it feels swollen and tight and I need to stretch the muscles but I haven't been doing it.
4. When I FIRST get up from sitting everything seems to hurt -my groin on both sides, my lower back, pain on weight bearing on both sides. But after a few steps and standing erect the pain goes away except for the weight bearing on my good side. So my conclusion is I need a new hip on the left side. Groan! :yikes:
5. I have a lot of back issues that I need to look after with some gentle stretching. Soon!
6. I put on my husband's water holder belt and it fit! Yikes! Time to get serious about the weight control and I am on Day 2. Cottage living is hard on the waistline.
7. I can't get up and move fast enough to keep the puppy from peeing on the floor. :snork:
8. I get depressed thinking that I will never get back to where I was pre hip op.
9. I still need tylenol -I tried to go without it but there is still pain so I take 3 a day usually.
10. My right leg is still one cm longer than the left.
But I am alive and I have a really good life. It could be worse! Knock on wood!
Thanks for reading this- if you lasted this long- you are tough!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Granny Di
I am not tough and I am interested!! It still amazes me how different every one is in their recovery. The pain does unfortunately imply that second hip is needing doing but maybe some thing else?
best wishes from London to Ontario!
 
@copsham -you are such a personality here - I see you on so many threads and you are helpful and so positive.
I don't know how you do it!
Well I know my back pain is part of it but I do not want back surgery. I will try another hip though.
In Canada we have to wait our turn for hip ops and they seem to take the people who are in the most pain. I may have to tell a fib. :secret:
 
@Granny Di pretty much the same for me, except you have much more distance and endurance. Still in PT and I am walking much better without the cane but I really have to concentrate on the gait as old habits will take over. I notice I am a bit unsure on lateral movements even though I practice. My right hip as not kicked in with pain but more of a deep ache. Always love your updates. You are my guide post! We just got back from the lovely mountains. So relaxing but so much to do at home. Take care and hugs.
 
@sunbunny -I am hurting in every joint this morning and I think/hope it is the damp weather. Like you I see so much that should be done but I find it difficult. Puppy chewed my iPad charge cord so I have to go to town to replace it and also do a wash and get groceries but I don't have much energy. We were up at 5:30 with the puppy!
She is sleeping through the night now though.
You keep working on that gait -it will come as you get stronger. I would love to visit those mountains -I haven't travelled much in the USA - Florida panhandle, Alaska, California, Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire a bit. Doubt we will be going anywhere for a while with 2 dogs.
You take care too! Hugs back at you.
 
The pain yesterday was from kidney stones - the heat wave, sitting in the car for long periods and not drinking enough -I should know better duh! I think they have passed now.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom