THR Two years of building the courage, finally on the other side!

@subie2021 I suppose I shouldn't let it bother me so much, but it actually did ruin my day. I wasn't prepared to hear I wasn't progressing "on time". And that I'm "falling behind". Who is she to make that determination? Everyone in my surgeons office, including my surgeon, think I'm doing great. They are well aware of how bad I was before the surgery.

@beachgal I'm seriously considering not taking her calls again. I start outpatient PT next week. It's the same therapist I used for my knee before my hips forced me to quit. So he's very familiar with my second horrible hip as well as my arms & the challenges they create. I know with 6 weeks of outpatient PT looming the worst (pain) is yet to come as I try to rebuild atrophied muscles. I sure don't need her or anyone discouraging me with a "time frame".
I really still can't get my head around her change in attitude toward toward me when I told her I was still using a walker. What am I supposed to do? I've tried taking a few unaided steps & I have. But it's only a couple. They are short & painful. Not normal strides. I cannot go beyond 3 or 4 without falling on my face. Really ridiculous & I don't understand it.
 
Sorry she was so rude,I personally would call her boss and file a complaint against her, you can see your primary doctor anytime you want, she can follow up with you for your comfort and well being. With the hip,you don’t need extensive therapy but going they will be able to watch your progression. Best of luck on your new hip.
 
@tazzy13 originally I was not planning to to continue PT beyond in home after surgery. I decided to go ahead & do so specifically to have access to all their equipment and TENS machine. All of it will help me rebuild my atrophied legs quicker. If I was a "normal" patient with strong legs, arms & a good second hip believe me, I wouldn't go to out patient. Especially now after this experience. And assuming my legs are stronger and I'm walking, when it's time to get my right hip done I will not do any PT beyond in home!
 
I’m really sorry to hear about how you’ve been spoken to. It’s really horrible and does take some getting over. She’s definitely in the wrong.

I was daft last week and got carried away with the physio getting me to do what turned out to be way too much. I think we know our own bodies and how much is okay to do.

I was really fit three years ago before the pain stopped me doing anything apart from short walks. When I started with the physio before my op I had no strength at first and had to really imagine myself doing the exercises. He said that’s absolutely right and the brain can remember what I used to do. Muscles have a memory too so with that and the brain you’ll get there in the end.

It’s such good advice on here and really if all it takes is a year to get fully better then every day is one day nearer to that goal.
 
@Brookeer before today I was very confident. And proud. It took me a very long time to convince myself to get this replacement. I did so with the support of the Bonesmart community. I was terrified of dislocation because I'm very overweight and secondly I was terrified of a difficult rehab. I'm no longer so frightened of dislocation. The new hip is much stronger than I anticipated and almost totally pain free. But the pain in my right hip, arms & weak legs are making rehab just as daunting as anticipated. But still, my "little" gains, which are huge to me, made it all worthwhile. Even though I know it will get even harder at outpatient next week, I was looking forward to continued progress. And I can already feel my legs getting a little stronger. Again, even though it's only a little, that "little" is huge to me.
Why this woman would tell me I'm not progressing in a timely manner is beyond me. Is that some kind of bizarre incentive technique? Is there some Medicare requirement for rate of recovery or something? All I know is it caught me totally off guard and really took the wind out of my sails.
 
Well, let me just say this…my Daddy never spoke that way to me and, at my age, I will not be disrespected as that lady spoke to you. Ever.

Having said that, you don’t want to throw out the baby with the bath water so pick your battles. In home PT, under your control and comfort level may be a blessing. At your pace. With your friendly but firm reminders of all the various situations you are dealing with. So what if it takes longer? What else is more important than assuring you have the best possible outcome with the highest comfort level possible? PT does NOT have the be painful. You can slowly work into a tolerable routine that suits your lifestyle.

I’d be dang sure my GP was well-informed about all aspects of this recovery, too. He’ll be there when the ortho team is finished and it’s important that he had all this in your medical records. No doubt about it.

Sorry for all the Southern expressions woven into this reply but it’s how we roll when we steel magnolias get ticked off.
:cheers:
 
It sounds to me like you're doing fine. Having access to equipment is nice but it's still very early in your recovery to think about any strenuous exercise. It sounds like you want mobility and walking was the best way for me to retrain myself how to walk properly post-op. My muscles didn't need any more strain than the weight of my body and walking slowly and deliberately. It's sad that any health care professional talked to you like that, but it seems others have had similar bad experiences. I don't understand them not wanting you to see your GP, your OS is taking care of your hip your GP has the rest of you and all of your records.
 
I'm seriously considering not taking her calls again.
This women has no clue - please don't speak to her again. She has no idea of your own situation. There is no timeline for any of this recovery.

Don't try walking unaided until you feel totally confident. Rebuilding strength when you have limped around for quite awhile just takes time.
 
Wow, How disrespectful.
You and you alone determine what you are ready or not ready to do.
I haven't had any PT and walking just fine. It took time and I did get discouraged some days but it all came together just like everyone here said it would.
You do you.
 
@Brookeer before today I was very confident. And proud. It took me a very long time to convince myself to get this replacement. I did so with the support of the Bonesmart community. I was terrified of dislocation because I'm very overweight and secondly I was terrified of a difficult rehab. I'm no longer so frightened of dislocation. The new hip is much stronger than I anticipated and almost totally pain free. But the pain in my right hip, arms & weak legs are making rehab just as daunting as anticipated. But still, my "little" gains, which are huge to me, made it all worthwhile. Even though I know it will get even harder at outpatient next week, I was looking forward to continued progress. And I can already feel my legs getting a little stronger. Again, even though it's only a little, that "little" is huge to me.
Why this woman would tell me I'm not progressing in a timely manner is beyond me. Is that some kind of bizarre incentive technique? Is there some Medicare requirement for rate of recovery or something? All I know is it caught me totally off guard and really took the wind out of my sails.
You should be proud of yourself. Just having the operation itself takes courage and you seem to me to have a really good mindset.

I worked in theatres for nearly 30 years and have met many people like the nurse you talked to. No empathy. Text book knowledge.

They haven’t got a clue what this is like and I can say that as being on the ‘other side’ is really quite different and daunting. It makes you vulnerable too and we need encouragement not criticism.

I was terrified of having the op which was crazy when you think how many I’ve been a part of. But being a patient is a whole new experience.

The surgeon was really horrible with me at my last consultation. When I said I was struggling working with the pain he shouted ‘well what are you spending your money on?!
He was downright nasty to be honest. I’d have gone to another surgeon but I knew he was good at his job so I just had to take it.

He wouldn’t normally be so rude but he knew what my job was and didn’t hold back. It still upsets me when I think about it. He was so offhand consenting me too. Didn’t even look at me. Thankfully he was nice post op.

So you’re not alone being on the receiving end. Many a time at work we’ve wished patients would complain about rude staff but sometimes it’s easier to focus on healing than getting upset complaining.

You’re doing the right thing for you. Planning to take it slowly and feeling a bit stronger is working for you so just carry on as you are.
 
My Mexican surgeon tells all his recovering patients, Escucha su cuerpo (Listen to your body).

He did my husband's THR in Feb. and mine in August. My husband's recovery was quick and not painful....lucky him! I have pain threshold of 2 year old and my recovery had plenty of ups and downs the first month and lots of discomfort at times.

When I stopped comparing my recovery against my husband's, I built up my self-confidence and was in less discomfort. Followed my own timeline.

One size recovery does not fit all. Listen to your body!
 
My feeling is that people like the woman that disrespected you, as she did, should be reported. Hopefully a reprimand will stop her from upsetting and discouraging another in a vulnerable state of healing from major surgery. Through her actions she's shown you who she is, BELIEVE her and refuse to engage with her again...unless she offers a heartfelt apology. I'm sorry you had that experience. Hopefully today is a good day!
@Abbylayla
 
@Jaycey I'm definitely not speaking to her again. I'll just let it go to VM. And I will let my surgeon know how crappy she made me feel and unjustly because I AM progressing from where I started. And I'm seeing my primary Friday. No idea whatsoever why she would discourage me from that. I don't remember it being an issue when I got my knee replacement.
 
@Layla I'm going to let my surgeon know about this at my next follow up. He is the Director of Orthopedics at the hospital. I'm sure he will be none too happy. I do feel better today but still shocked it happened. I've spoken to her a number of times previously. All good. Compliments on my progress & determination. Started that way yesterday, until I said I was still using a walker. For reasons I cannot understand that triggered something & the conversation took a different direction. I took a week off between in home & outpatient PT. She actually said I couldn't do that. Wanted me to call the therapist & schedule a session for Thursday. Imagine that? Me? Someone who didn't do any therapy for a knee replacement and have a perfectly functioning knee. Even my in home therapist said you'd never know I didn't have Intensive PT on my knee.
What the heck is wrong with these people??
Earlier I pur the walker in front of me about 4 feet & "walked" to it. Was it pretty? No. Was it easy? No. It resembled the difficult, unstable, unsteady steps my year old great niece takes as she's learning to walk. But I too am relearning to walk & rebuilding the muscles needed to do so. I have not been able to take one single unaided step in two years! Previously when I tried it was like my feet were nailed to the ground. So I'd say my 4 little ugly baby steps ARE progress. And it's huge to me! I'm really glad I had her on speaker phone so my spouse was witness to the whole thing.
 
@beachgal I lived in Louisiana two years. Town named "Sulfur". Deep in Cajun country, 90 miles east of Houston. Also spent a ton of time in NOLA. I love the south, the people, customs, dialect AND oh the food!!
 
You're not even a month post op into a recovery that can last a full year, even longer for some. A mere 27 days ago you endured major surgery. Your four unaided steps are to be celebrated for the milestone it is on the journey back to living. The recovery process takes time and many are still noticing progress into their second and third year post op! In the entire scheme of things this is very early days for you. It takes patience, but you will grow stronger and steadier on your feet with each passing month.

As long as your OS is okay with your progress, I would ignore negativity from anyone else. Remember that it is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

Happy Tuesday!
@Abbylayla
 
My knee hurts also. Hoping for cortisone. Voltaren helps.

Best of luck. Ordeal = adventure.
 
@Layla The only advice that makes total sense to me, as well as logic, is the Bonesmart method. Going back to my knee replacement, the "no pain no gain" mentality made no sense. I'm formally a high level athlete so I kind of get what's good exercise or PT and what's just plain stupid. And I'll be very blunt, for every therapist I've known over the years 7 or so out of 10 I'd say were off their rockers. But the good ones were beneficial.
I've been laid up a long time. I'm not going to be back to normal in the same time it would for someone who went into surgery in really good shape, like my brother in law who was back to normal in a month or so. His hip also was not as bad as mine or for as long as mine. He was still very mobile before surgery and using all his muscles. Big difference from my situation. I've known my surgeon a long time, long before I even knew he was a surgeon. We are both boaters & were on the same dock. He was kind of the "Marina Surgeon" as he took care of all of us. So yes he is well aware of all of my issues & immobility. And he is happy with where I am. His xray tech who has seen me at my worst remarked to my spouse "look at her go" the 1st time he saw me using a walker just two weeks after surgery!! My surgeon is a none alarmist kind of guy. Extremely skilled and realistic. He's told me multiple times not to let PT scare me. Told me the 90 degree rules while important should not overwhelm me. Honestly I do believe the only reason I'm going to outpatient PT is probably because the hospital he's affiliated with insists on it because last November he told my spouse I only need to walk. No PT. Sooooo
But I'm not even sure what this woman's title is. I do believe she said she was a nurse. Not sure of her link to PT. I will most definitely find out though. Its really a shame because I had an amazing experience in this hospital for both my knee & hip. Great care. Very compassionate and personable. I even took as many names as I could gather to include in an email I want to send to the CEO to let her know what a great experience I've had there. It's about the quality of the people. They deserve recognition. I'm a manager. I get it. Then there's "that one".
 
I've been laid up a long time. I'm not going to be back to normal in the same time it would for someone who went into surgery in really good shape, like my brother in law who was back to normal in a month or so. His hip also was not as bad as mine or for as long as mine. He was still very mobile before surgery and using all his muscles.
This is why we caution against comparing our healing journey with the recovery of others. Not everyone goes into THR in the same condition, physically, health wise or even emotionally. Understanding this takes off the pressure of following timelines and reaching mileposts. Slowly but surely you'll get there.
 
Back
Top Bottom