THR Two years of building the courage, finally on the other side!

Saw my primary today. She thinks I'm doing great. We went over the My Chart notes and that woman from the hospital did call my surgeon to report that I was not progressing fast enough, still using a walker & used pain meds. My surgeon replied that I was progressing fine & I had a lot of issues to deal with besides my replaced hip which was healing & rehabing very well. And that he would be in communication with my out patient therapist once I started. My primary physician thought it was comical how my surgeon blew her off in a very professional manner. My primary was not happy with this woman at all & kept shaking her head. I won't be taking any further calls from nurse ratchet.
 
@Abbylayla Well done for knowing your limits and sticking to them. PT and OT are a tickbox exercise. If your hip isn't ready then you were right in speaking up.
Biggest pain is my knee.
Your knee gets grabbed and manhandled during the procedure. Don't be surprised if you start to see bruising in the next few days. Ice the knee as well. All will ease fairly quickly.
I agree. It was the only place I found a yellow bruise later. Made me wonder what went on during surgery.
 
Saw my primary today. She thinks I'm doing great. We went over the My Chart notes and that woman from the hospital did call my surgeon to report that I was not progressing fast enough, still using a walker & used pain meds. My surgeon replied that I was progressing fine & I had a lot of issues to deal with besides my replaced hip which was healing & rehabing very well. And that he would be in communication with my out patient therapist once I started. My primary physician thought it was comical how my surgeon blew her off in a very professional manner. My primary was not happy with this woman at all & kept shaking her head. I won't be taking any further calls from nurse ratchet.
I'm sick that you even received that phone call. I just saw my OS for my first postop visit today (3 weeks), and there was no discussion of "deadlines." When I asked about PT, he said, "For now, just rest and walk. Your body will give you lots of feedback, so listen to it. There is no one-size-fits-all result, and don't let anyone tell you there is."

You're doing just fine!!!
 
So "That woman" called last week. I did not answer nor did I call her back. So far, have not heard from her again.
I started out patient PT Monday. Did a lot more than I anticipated. Even some leg exercises on the equipment. Worked harder than I have literally in years. Worked up a sweat. Was in extreme pain yesterday & canceled today. Sitting here feeling like a wimp & worried PT might think I'm not committed! But I tend to get over zealous and VERY hard on myself. I'm not sure if I was given more of a workout than expected for evaluation purposes or if it's just the norm. But I was able to do all but one. I don't really think it was too much though since I am unable to walk unassisted this is not the "norm" and I'm actually willing to power through considering the reward is walking again. I am to a point in recovery where I do need to be more open to "no pain no gain" to an extent. Funny thing is, the one joint that doesn't hurt? My new hip! Gotta love it. Something interesting, my thearapist watched me walk with my walker. Then took it & raised it a couple of notches & told me to walk again. The difference was striking. I walked "normally". Much better stride, faster & more comfortable. So I've been walking around less efficiently all this time and no one else has been able to figure that out? Unbelievable
 
Worked harder than I have literally in years. Worked up a sweat. Was in extreme pain yesterday & canceled today. Sitting here feeling like a wimp & worried PT might think I'm not committed!
I think it's wise you canceled. Hopefully with icing and lots of rest, you'll recover quickly. I believe there is a polite way for you to express to the PT that while you're committed, you want to work at your own pace so you don't have to recover for days afterward and cancel sessions because you're in pain. If the PT isn't willing to accept that and work with you on those terms, maybe you two aren't the best fit and you can find another PT to work with. Don't fall for the "no pain, no gain" unless you enjoy existing in a state of discomfort / pain all day.
Encouraging news re: the walker height affecting your mobility for the better.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving, Abbylayla! :wave:
 
Hi @Abbylayla I had a physio for the first hip who insisted that I did a bridge type exercise after 2 weeks which had me in awful pain for days. The next time I saw her/them they had me on a trampoline , after which I could barely walk. I should have said no, but did not know enough. When they phoned me to ask why I hadn't come to the next session I think I mentioned that I thought they were know nothing amateurs, but politely as I could, actually not politely at all, that's no fun.
After this new hip went to see physio after two weeks who wanted me to a bridge type exercise..Guess what .. I said no, politely. He appeared to be a bit annoyed...not seen him since. I am 9/10 weeks post op now. I walk. If I do anything that hurts I stop. I managed a 3 mile walk the other day, 2 miles with cane, 1 mile freestyle. Don't be panicked by these people, say no. And don't worry if recovery takes some time, some people recover quicker than others.
Happy Hanukah, Thanksgiving, Diwahli and Christmas
 
And @Abbylayla it should have stayed in left field. They wanted me to gently bounce up and down but had no leg muscle so just stood there with my leg in spasm. I was not polite. They had 6 people on 6 different pieces of equipment but all of us at different stages. However, I said something unpleasant as to their organisational skills and intimated they were charlatans and quacks (or words to that effect) but they had no time to reply as another inmate fell off the walking machine...it transpired he was a 10 days out from his THR. My second hip...different hospital..
 
I honestly don't know how to react to your bizarre PT experience. Mine wants me to work hard but your experience is totally out there! That's a story for the ages. A trampoline? I absolutely cannot wrap my head around that as a serious method. More of a SNL skit....bouncing around on a trampoline weeks out of TKR. I'm quite sure my surgeon would lose his mind hearing that.
 
Another part of the equipment was a box like a toy chest which they wanted you to sit on and get up from without using your hands. I passed on that one, it was quite low. I met someone else who had had a TKR in the same hospital but she only lasted one exercise before telling them to put it where the sun don't shine and that's a quote. They also had a swimming pool but as I was an NHS patient in a private hospital I was not offered this service. Anywho, they probably got you to dive off the 10metre board.
 
Holy cats, @Abbylayla -- I am very glad you opted to take a rest. I know you started out with a lot more going on than many of us but a lot of these PT folks seem to employ a "one size fits all" program. I was so fortunate that the guy who came to my house for PT was not one of those, and if anything caused even the mildest of twinges, he backed off. Part of the program, it seems, is being very straight with these people and telling them what you are willing and able to do. If they can't handle it, well, you now have practice with that horrible person from the hospital. Just Say No!

@DK63, I can't even imagine the trampoline during my healthy days. I was asked to do bridges during my most recent PT and for me, they were easy. But the leg lifts? No way! Just goes to show you, every hip is different.
 
With my #1 THR, I couldn’t do the clamshells. With my #2 THR, my muscles ached with most everything so I’d do PT one day and rest the next or something similar. It sorted out after about a week but just underscoring that everyone and every procedure heals differently. Listen to your body!
 
So "That woman" called last week. I did not answer nor did I call her back. So far, have not heard from her again.
I started out patient PT Monday. Did a lot more than I anticipated. Even some leg exercises on the equipment. Worked harder than I have literally in years. Worked up a sweat. Was in extreme pain yesterday & canceled today. Sitting here feeling like a wimp & worried PT might think I'm not committed! But I tend to get over zealous and VERY hard on myself. I'm not sure if I was given more of a workout than expected for evaluation purposes or if it's just the norm. But I was able to do all but one. I don't really think it was too much though since I am unable to walk unassisted this is not the "norm" and I'm actually willing to power through considering the reward is walking again. I am to a point in recovery where I do need to be more open to "no pain no gain" to an extent. Funny thing is, the one joint that doesn't hurt? My new hip! Gotta love it. Something interesting, my thearapist watched me walk with my walker. Then took it & raised it a couple of notches & told me to walk again. The difference was striking. I walked "normally". Much better stride, faster & more comfortable. So I've been walking around less efficiently all this time and no one else has been able to figure that out? Unbelievable
Adjusting your walker! It dawns on me that I set up my walker. Do you recall how your therapist determined the right height for you? Based on posture? Your height?

So glad you finally received that common sense and essential help, Abbylayla! You've sure dealt with some looneytune therapists. I like your ability to self-protect and advocate.
 
Do you recall how your therapist determined the right height for you? Based on posture? Your height?
Try this and see how yours measures up, Merrimay -
Stand inside the walker and relax your arms at your sides. The top of the walker grip should line up with the crease on the inside of your wrist.
 
@DK63 I've got some crazy PT stories but you need to write a book. That trampoline story alone beats all. In my mind that simply defies logic. Not to mention could have resulted in serious injury to you.
@Merrimay the therapist measured my walker the way Layla described but slightly higher. It made huge difference. Why in the world others didn't measure it that way boggles my mind!
@Woodstockhip this has been quite a ride to say the least! I've really come across some whackadoos to say the least. I can't help but wonder how many of them truly know what in the world they're doing. I'm very happy I chose not to go to PT yesterday. I really struggled with pain. Took an Oxy at 10:30pm to take the pain edge off so I could sleep but it didn't do a thing. Had to take another at 12:00 to feel any effect. Something I've never had to do before. 5mg could not touch that kind of pain. But today I'm doing much better. Icing again. I think I may even take a short walk before it gets dark. You know, I wouldn't even bother with PT but I really want access to the gym equipment they have as well as the TENS machine. But I can't feel like that after ever session. Hey I've been living in pain that ranges from mild to severe for a number of years but the severe end is almost exclusively weight bearing so I can sit down to get relief. Yesterday was total body severe aching, throbbing with no escape by getting off my feet. My PT script was for 2-3 days/wk. I chose 2 but if my body is not ready for even that I will drop to 1 and walk, walk, walk in place of the 2nd day. I have a follow up with my surgeon Monday. I'll see what he says as well. This whole thing is just so frustrating and I put some of the blame on myself as well. As a former competitive athlete my mindset is stil that I can do it all. I've got to give my body time to catch up to my mind. Dumb dumb dumb!!
 
@DK63 I've got some crazy PT stories but you need to write a book. That trampoline story alone beats all. In my mind that simply defies logic. Not to mention could have resulted in serious injury to you.
@Merrimay the therapist measured my walker the way Layla described but slightly higher. It made huge difference. Why in the world others didn't measure it that way boggles my mind!
@Woodstockhip this has been quite a ride to say the least! I've really come across some whackadoos to say the least. I can't help but wonder how many of them truly know what in the world they're doing. I'm very happy I chose not to go to PT yesterday. I really struggled with pain. Took an Oxy at 10:30pm to take the pain edge off so I could sleep but it didn't do a thing. Had to take another at 12:00 to feel any effect. Something I've never had to do before. 5mg could not touch that kind of pain. But today I'm doing much better. Icing again. I think I may even take a short walk before it gets dark. You know, I wouldn't even bother with PT but I really want access to the gym equipment they have as well as the TENS machine. But I can't feel like that after ever session. Hey I've been living in pain that ranges from mild to severe for a number of years but the severe end is almost exclusively weight bearing so I can sit down to get relief. Yesterday was total body severe aching, throbbing with no escape by getting off my feet. My PT script was for 2-3 days/wk. I chose 2 but if my body is not ready for even that I will drop to 1 and walk, walk, walk in place of the 2nd day. I have a follow up with my surgeon Monday. I'll see what he says as well. This whole thing is just so frustrating and I put some of the blame on myself as well. As a former competitive athlete my mindset is stil that I can do it all. I've got to give my body time to catch up to my mind. Dumb dumb dumb!!
A former competitive athlete! Do you suppose your PTs expect you to still be one? Then they're the dumb ones!!

Thank you for your feedback on adjusting my walker. Off to test it now, Abbylayla.
 
Back
Top Bottom