TKR Two New Knees!

@Josephine. My surgeon and his PAs. Made a pretty big deal out of it too! "Keep totally out of the sun for 12 months"
 
I was told to be careful since the skin could burn easier there. I've experimented last week during my cruise and I can report that the scar did not burn any more than the rest of me would have. (I used SPF 50 sunscreen).
 
:scratch: I think it's probably being over-enthusiastic about it! Though perhaps doctors in the UK don't have to worry about that!
 
I kept SPF 50 on my scar for the first year as I like to swim outdoors.
 
Here in NZ, where the UV rays are particularly strong, we are advised to be particularly careful to protect new scars from sun burn. SPF30PLUS is recommended.
 
Hi, I have just read this whole thread and you are very inspirational. I do have something to add regarding the pain discussion. I had bilateral knees the same day as your newest one. I had absolutely no pain in one and excruciating pain in the other because they said my regional block was not working correctly in that leg. I was told by the physio that you can not feel 2 pains at once. That whatever the dominant pain is is what your brain deals with. Once I had my regional blocks removed and my legs were on a " level playing field", the pain profile changed and the opposite leg was the one that hurt. This leg has continued to be my "bothersome" one. From my limited experience, this has appeared to be a very simple, but clear description of what I felt.
Sorry to take the thread back a few weeks, but I thought it was apt.
 
Oh, it sounds like you are doing so well and having a marvelous time! I'm ecstatic for you! You certainly don't sound like you are bragging at all - just enjoying some time with your knew knee! Always good to hear the hope :flwrysmile: Happy happy joy joy!
 
@Red's Mom I'm so happy you're feeling better and having a fantastic time in beautiful Hawaii.

It is inspiring for those of us still in the "basic" stage. It gives us something to look forward to. Please keep sharing :egypdance:and have an awesome day!
 
Another couple of milestones... I can drive again! I can "bounce" a crying baby while standing! (Haven't been able to do that for 4+ years!). Still haven't tried the beach maybe soon. I'm only using Tylenol except at bedtime, being off the pain meds feels good too. There is light! I hope my BoneSmarties are seeing light I. Their tunnels!
 
@Red's Mom - you do know we're all living and enjoying life vicariously through your adventures, don't you?! 'Brag' away or, as l see it, just keep on enjoying your vacation and telling us all about it - it's so encouraging!

:swim: :swim: :swim: :swim:
 
@Red's Mom,

@Cratchit is exactly correct! You are the font o' hope for the rest of us! Thanks for coming back and sharing all these new milestones - it would be east to forget about posting when you are finally getting your life back. After all, it's like customer service - you always hear more complaints than you do praise.

So happy you are doing well, and thank you for your beacon of light. BTW - I already told hubby that next leg, we are going to Hawaii to recover! Lol
 
We certainly don't have to worry about sun protection for our scars here in Scotland! Apart from anything else my knees would never be exposed to daylight in the first place!
 
@Red's Mom ... did you ever get the problems ironed out with your donation to the forum? If not, please send me a PM that has your real name and address so I can research it.

The warning about the sun is all about burning on a new scar. That tissue is new and more tender (think baby skin) and can more easily burn. You don't have to stay out of the sun but just be sure to use a good sunscreen on it.

Hope you continue to do well. I love that you are recovering in paradise!!!
 
Honesty is always the best policy. OMGOlly. Can anyone tell me how many little muscles get used while driving? Or was it bouncing that beautiful baby? I think it was driving since its only my R leg complaining. I had a MISERABLE night. Hard to believe a drive to the shore and back total 70 minutes max could have done this! My butt, my IT band and many areas of my calf have been screaming since midnight! I had to get up, walk, stretch and then finally give in and take a Tramadol at 1am and 5am! It's just before 7 here and I'm out of bed because I just couldn't stand the aching!!!

This recovery isn't a straight path even when things are going really well!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Two New Knees!
Toes above nose island style!
 
@Spex10 Hindsight advice. Practice/pretend drive for a few minutes a day at home. Those little muscles are so angry today!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom