Guest viewing is limited

TKR Two New Knees!

I will apologize on the front end. This is going to sound so benign for those of you who struggle with sleep.
8:30-5:30 with only a few restless moments. Feel better this morning. I honor you folks who's sleep is disrupted and deprived. Again another one of those things that no one tells us about other than fellow BoneSmarties. This actually makes me really angry. With my cyclothemia/BPIII had I experienced the level of sleep disruption many of you talk about I would have ended up hospitalized with a manic episode. I plan to talk to my OS about this on 1/5 when I see him next. Does anyone know / have statistics or research on the level of sleep disruption or is all information anecdotal?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think the attendants can give you ice during the flights and were you able to get seats without someone in front of you? I imagine you can do this with a handicap tag. I'd also let the airport know you'll need transport from connections.
 
That's a good idea about the flight attendants giving you ice. Might take some empty zip locks in your carry on for that purpose. I'm sure you plan on getting up and making some laps on those planes once the seat belt signs come off.
 
Here's an article with lots of useful hints about flying:
Flying soon after surgery

Plan to get to the airport in plenty of time, because from now on it will take longer to go through security. My knees always ring the bells and I have to go through the X-Ray scanner, or else be patted down. Sometimes you have to wait for a female security officer to do the pat-down.

If you're traveling with someone, ask them to go through security before you, and to keep an eye on your bags while you are being patted down. I always send my husband first. He gathers up my bags with his own.
If you're on your own, ask to be able to keep your bags in sight while you are checked.
 
Coming clean. I thought I was progressing nicely as far as pain goes. I SLOWELY cut back on my Tramadol beginning last week. Over the last three days my R knee ROM has decreased and it got really achy and very stiff. Interestingly it does not look or feel swollen just incredibly stiff and quite uncomfortable. My sleeping has also not been great. Today I decided to go back to the 6 hour Tramadol/Tylenol protocols and I feel like a new woman. I hate being on narcotics! But I actually feel much better. It will be interesting to see if sleep is better tonight.

Thank you all who have given suggestions on flying. I've arranged assistance at the airports. My OS wants me wearing my DVT sleeves and also on 325mg ECA BID the day before, day of and day following the flight. Our flights are fully booked. I will plea for mercy with the flight crews. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to upgrade to a higher class.
 
I'm glad you decided to go back to what was working for you. I'm glad you called the airports to arrange transportation, it will make things much easier.
 
@KarriB I wonder what my OS is going to say when I ask for more Tramadol? He was a bit surprised I wanted a refil at my 3 week check-up. Today has been better so pain may be the issue but it is now a different pain. Is there any "typical" for the duration the protocols are needed? With the first knee Tylenol alone was perfectly adequate during the day at week 3. I did take 50mg Tramadol at bedtime because the L knee would ache when I tossed and turned during my sleep.
 
There is no "normal" with a TKR recovery. You get what you get. Don't feel at all guilty about taking your medications on whatever schedule works for you. It is extremely ambitious of you to attempt a trip like this so early in your recovery. You need to take every opportunity to make yourself more comfortable. Be sure you have plenty of meds with your for the whole trip. It would be impossible to get a refill while in Hawaii. Also be prepared that your surgeon may not be thrilled to hear that you're taking the trip. If you get too much grief from your surgeon about the meds, try your GP. Sometimes they are more understanding when it comes to pain management.
 
Hopefully he'll give you enough to get you through your trip, but I know in Pennsylvania they've really cracked down on pain meds. If he won't you can do as Jamie suggested and ask you GP.
 
@Jamie @KarriB my OS is OK with the relocation to Hawaii. He knew about it in the staged planning phase. My GP wouldn't give me any Rx pain meds even after the TKR was scheduled. The "crackdown" is in full force here in the Chicago area. My heart goes out to those with chronic pain. Not having pain relief pushed me to the surgery along with other issues. The good news. My hubby works in Springfield IL. When he moved out of his corporate housing he found his Tramadol (plenty of it) from when he broke his arm this fall. For a fractured radial head he got 120 pills! Problem solved....
:yes!:
 
Great! Sometimes things do work out!
 
Just read through this thread. Machu Picchu indeed! Interested to hear that others have struggled to read their way through recovery as this has been my experience too. Same with writing.

Wow, Hawaii sounds like a good place to continue your recovery! I hope the journey isn't too arduous.
 
Today's reality. My well planned easy two 4 hour flights to Hawaii has become a 21 hour ordeal. I've learned something. My resilience is ZERO! Our plane was delayed at the gate for three hours, I started sobbing! Right there in first class! Even though I am having a straight forward uncomplicated recovery I am DRAINED. Physically, emotionally and my reserve coping capacity. My hubby keeps saying - keep your eye on the prize! It's the only way I can cope right now. Neil Diamond BLASTING in my headphones finally interrupted the crying jag.
I want to be me again.....
 
Energy drain is palpable well into 3-4 months and you're just a little over one month. You planned an ambitious journey for this early in recovery, but I'm sure you'll forget the trip when you see the swaying palm trees.
 
@Red's Mom Give yourself a break. You are doing awesome. I have been following you cause you are doing so good. Have fun on vacation. Relax and enjoy. Another thing we have in common-Neil Diamond-love him. Going to see him in May and i'm going to dance the whole time on my new knee.
 
Even with "good knees" flight delays can send anyone over the edge! Give yourself a break and focus on how you will be able to relax when you arrive.
 
Oh my goodness that sounds horrendous! Even without a TKR most folk would cry. Besides, tears are so very functional and a great form of relief, even aside of all the feel better chemicals they release. Press on toward the goal to win the prize. It'll be worth it!

Are you nearly there yet?
 
Oh no!
That's a harsh wake up call to the totality of how we're affected by such a major surgery. Emotional, physical, psychological.
Here's to smooth sailing for the rest of your trip.



Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
[Bonesmart.org] Two New Knees!
After 27 crazy and exhausting hours we have arrived at recovery destination #2. Were all set up. This is where I will continue on my recovery journey. Yesterday was the epitome of IODIC. Shame on me! I want to thank EVERYONE of my BoneSmarties for the encouragement and support. I would have been a frustrated, disillusioned mess without you all. To Josephine, Celle and other staff members you are amazing!

@Josephine I tried to set up a monthly donation through PayPal but I don't think it went through, advise please...
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom