TKR Two New Knees!

Glad you finally made it. Hopefully smooth sailing from here. I actually had a really cool dream about Hawaii last night. Hopefully your trip will be as good as my dream
 
I'm hoping you're now resting and relaxing under ice in a hotel room (or apartment) with waves in your ears!
Sorry to hear about the delay, super glad to hear about the first class upgrade!!
Enjoy your sunny vacation and update if and when you can [emoji227]
 
Hi Miss Hawaii!! Hope that Macho and Picho have settled down into their new nest and that they are enjoying their view!
 
Oh, I am so jealous of Hawaii! My hubby and I went to maui for our honeymoon, and it was BY FAR the best vacation I have ever had. One of those that just can't be topped!

Please don't feel badly for feeling emotional. That was a long and arduous trip - and I've learned that emotions (post TKR) are triggered at the drop of a hat. I had a meltdown tonight because I forgot to put sugar in some biscuits I was trying to make from scratch - DOH! How ridiculous is that?

Eh, even a smooth, uneventful recovery doesn't mean that there's no pain, discomfort, or traumatic impact.

Hugs and enjoy recovering in Hawaii!
 
Just checking in with an update. Machu & Picchu are crabby here in Hawaii (silly knees). I'm sure it's just that I'm a bit more active and there are a lot of stairs to navigate and no more commode riser. So..... Back to the every 6hr Tramadol 100mg and Tylenol 1000mg routine. Yesterday I figured out how to sunbathe, ice and elevate simultaneously! Somehow here in the sun this backstep doesn't bother me as much! I'm going to give it 4-5 days then try to alternate 50mg Tramadol doses. The never ending goal of comfort. The good news is I've cooked a couple of simple meals (the kitchen here is very small much less walking then at home) and I CAN READ AGAIN!!! Tomorrow is my 10 week and 6 week milestones. I'm looking forward to the pool and hot tub.
 
Good to hear you're in paradise and resting, icing, elevating again!
 
To all the BoneSmarties and investigators out there, the mantras work!

As I approach weeks 11/7 I do see the light at the end of the tunnel. My strength, ROM and stamina are increasing ever so slightly on a daily basis. It's time to look at recovery week by week. Over the last week I've been able to walk up and down stairs like a big girl, regain my balance independently when I tip, my ROM feels better but I can't measure it guessing I would say 130+/115 or so definitely functional, I ride the stationary bike 10 minutes at level 4-6, I'm doing a bit of cooking, laundry etc. I'm still icing and elevating for 6 hours a day early AM, mid day and at bedtime. Still on Tramadol and Tylenol 3 x day and Celebrex every other day. Slowly weaning the dose down. I hardly know my L leg is replaced The beach is this weeks goal!
 
I'm glad to hear things are going so well. hawaii is a great place to continue your recovery.

Be careful when you go to the beach. Walking on sand is hard on new knees. The hard sand isn't so bad, but the soft sand will be a real challenge for your knees.
 
Sounds great, redsmom! Thanks for the up date and words of encouragement. I did try to keep my beach walking down to once a day to keep my natural knee happy.
 
I am so happy for you. You are doing great!!! You are an inspiration. Continue to enjoy Hawaii and your progress.
 
@Celle I am a bit nervous about the beach! We're going to try one this week that doesn't involve much sand walking but I will abort if it's too much. Bought new walking shoes today! Thanks for all your support!

@jaschembra cant wait to ride together! Ar you having a good week?

@mbrown thsnks for the ongoing encouragement

@RMasano you'll be up and running soon!

@KarriB your ongoing support means the world to me!
 
@Red's Mom So...how was the beach? Hope you are really being able to enjoy your time in Hawaii with your family and friends. All is good here. :)
 
I'm not posting this as a brag but as an encouragement for those of us staring into the tunnel trying to see the light.

I didn't think open ocean snorkelling would be on my trip this year, that was discouraging to say the least. My girlfriend (since kindergarten) Shelly, ever the adventurer, half mermaid, found a spot here with both a ladder and a hoist to get folks with disabilities in and out of the water at Mahukona. I trust Shel more than I trust myself. She promised to just tow me around "all you'll have to do is breath and enjoy the fish". I was panicked that my fins would torque my knees and be miserable. Shel promised she would take them off if they hurt. End of saga.

Got in water Tuesday swam gently for 1+ hour with no problem AND no repercussions the next day! My newer knee/leg did get tired after about 50 minutes and Shel, as promised, towed me around and to the ladder. I was able to climb up no problem.

Wednesday we swam a bit harder out to a cleaning station for almost 2 hours, I didn't need any help. I was tired in the evening and really ready for bed at 9 but overall again no major repercussions! I wouldn't try a beach or lava entry at this point in time but knowing I can get in and swim with the beautiful fish and the sea turtles has put a BIG ray of sun on my healing!

I hope for each of you reading this a day with just a little light in your knee replacement journey tunnel!
 
It's great to hear that you are enjoying yourself in Hawaii. Doing something that is 'normal' helps to make us feel like we have rejoined life again. I hope you continue to enjoy your time there.
 
@Josephine can you explain why I have to protect my incision form the sun?

@Celle same request for you.

I now have two white stripes on my legs, a small price to pay for my almost pain free knees but not too attractive here on the island!
 
Who told you that you had to? First I've ever heard of it.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom