TKR Two New Knees!

It's inevitable that you're going to get the blues at some point. But I'm sorry the sweet hubby wasn't so sweet today! Hopefully tomorrow will be a little better. :yes:

Today, breakfast in bed and my favorite brownies from a bakery where you have to stand in line, I think he got the message[emoji6]
 
That'll larn him! :heehee:

Seriously, though, I'm sorry you're having a "down" day. Don't try to stop it, because tears are healing, too.
I'm glad you realised that unstable emotions and the blues are a part of this recovery - and you know that they will come to an end, as you continue to heal.

It's quite right that, with two new knees in a relatively short while, you have been hit with a double whammy. Both your body and your mind have had a lot to deal with.

Keep on resting and pampering yourself. Sometimes tact isn't a husband's strong suit.
We're here to listen, if you want to vent, or need a shoulder to cry on. We understand, because we've been there. :friends:

It's so good to have my bionic friends out there in the cyber world cheering me on! Today is better and hubby is trying his best to be sweet. Breakfast in bed and the best brownie on this side of the pond!


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Glad you're having a better day. Breakfast in bed and brownies can help any day I'm sure. :) I read your post to my hubby so he knows what to expect (to hear and to do, lol)
 
Glad you're having a better day. Breakfast in bed and brownies can help any day I'm sure. :) I read your post to my hubby so he knows what to expect (to hear and to do, lol)

Julie, days are continuing to get better and better! The first two weeks are the biggie! Enjoy your holidays and keep us informed as you receive your new knee!
 
Day 17 and finally things are going better! All the muscle spasms have worked their way out and the pain is well managed on the Tramadol/Tylenol protocols. My ROM is 106-110 and smooth, extension -2 improved from -4 two days ago. I feel like we're making progress now. Off the norco my brain and emotions are improving too! Maybe there will be a Christmas this year after All!
 
Glad you're having a better day. Breakfast in bed and brownies can help any day I'm sure. :) I read your post to my hubby so he knows what to expect (to hear and to do, lol)

Julie, be prepared to be VERY patient with yourself. I think your a go getter like me and it's difficult to put the brakes on for several months. Get your mind wrapped around being quiet. I binged watched Good Girls Revolt, Indian Summer, The Crown, Orange is the New Black. I am still unable to knit or read novels. Stock up on some magazines! Amazon prime has some great shows!
 
It was months before I could read and I loaded up my kindle before surgery. In rehab I tried every genre possible, so couldn't read. As a teacher and lifelong reader it was very hard for me. My family got me an Appletv so I could watch Netflix because all I could do was watch tv and nap in the middle of whatever was on.
 
It's a weird thing that brain fog, when it was happening and still now, I don't understand what would cause it. Just had no desire to do things I found enjoyment in. Remember getting a puzzle out and only putting a couple pieces together and there it sat for days before I went and put it away. T.V was the only thing that I could do for hrs on end. Netflix series are a great way to pass the time.
 
Good to know @Red's Mom (did you know there is a redsdad???). :heehee:
Yes, I am a go getter but I am prepared to hunker down in my nest for the winter, plus. I don't understand why that is about reading and thought provoking tasks. My mom had the same issue - she didn't even want tv for a long time. I would just put the classic country music on for her and that would help her fall asleep

I have Netflix too.

I had my first dream- I was post surgery. I'll post it on my thread.
 
My BFF would have this problem after surgeries or when hospitalized. I'd say, "perfect time to relax, read a book", she'd say she can't read. Well, now I get it.
 
It was about 6 weeks post op before i could concentrate long enough to read a book.
 
I think sometimes our husbands worry, just like we do sometimes, that we will never improve. It scares them to see us not up and doing the stuff we usually do. I noticed some frustration in my husband and I think that was why. Now that I am feeling much better and am up and making dinner, going shopping (without the electric cart), etc., he feels a lot of relief. He seems more at ease and a lot happier. I'm sure they also feel that too much lying around isn't good for us. I'd suggest printing out the activity progression post to have them read.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Two New Knees!
Had my 7 and 3 week checkup today with OS. Everything looks great! My L leg (7 weeks out) feels almost "normal". My R leg at three weeks is still somewhat uncomfortable but managed with the Tramadol/Tylenolroutine. An interesting tidbit from my OS. When I asked him why this knee was so much more painful his thoughts were that when the L one was done I still had arthritis pain in my R. With the second one that pain no longer exists so possibly the surgical pain just has more pathways to fly up. Interesting concept. That being saidthe good news is that I'm continuing to get better day by day. Here is today's X-ray of Machu and Picchu
 
When I asked him why this knee was so much more painful his thoughts were that when the L one was done I still had arthritis pain in my R. With the second one that pain no longer exists so possibly the surgical pain just has more pathways to fly up. Interesting concept.
Well, I've never heard that one before! I hope he was joking.

It is possible, though, that your second knee needed more work during the surgery, which would have meant more handling of the tissues and possibly a slightly longer operation. And sometimes, there just is no obvious reason.

It's not unusual for one knee to have a very different recovery from the other, even though they both belong to you. That's why we advise people not to compare knees.
 
I don't know Celle. I think he was being sincere. Said this happens very often with BL hips.
 
Yeah, but I can't believe it. The neural pathways for pain are the same ones for arthritis pain and post-op pain.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom