TKR Two New Knees!

@Cratchit yes rising trot is posting trot. I'm so glad you ask about the emotional side of being back on. Yes, I have experienced many of those feelings. The night before my first ride I was scared. I'm still anxious about going out on trail, going to do a very small trail ride tomorrow with a friend and her dead broke horse. I hope I can sit a spook or two. When I first went back I had the worry "if I come off and get hurt it will be such a setback, I'm not sure I could cope with having to heal again". Those feelings have subsided but there is something under the surface closer to the surface than before that this sport can be dangerous.

This week I think I've overdone it. My knees have been achy since last night. I took some Tramadol and Tylenol tonight so hopefully I'll sleep well. It is my hamstrings that are cranky behind my knees. The knees proper are quite fine. I hope your electrocutions stop soon! I've only had a few of those and they are shocking!

Happy 4th of July Independance and retirement day!!!!! I love being retired and getting to choose how I spend my time.. do you think you will go back to work before retiring? I hope you will start riding it is great therapy for the mind, body and soul!
:horseriding:

It's good to know your holding your own on this long and twisting journey! It was good to hear from you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that your daily focus isn't primarily on your knees @Red's Mom are you doing as much stretching as you were? I would definitely stretch after each ride. Sorry that those pre-teen knees of yours were acting up!

When I took a fall on a trip (4 hours from home) and busted 3 ribs, I couldn't do anything for several months. I couldn't believe the pain just to breath... when I finally was back on my horse, I had purchased an equestrian riding safety vest. I had tried to ride - canter - without it and I just kept thinking of crashing and burning again and didn't want to go through the pain. I had no confidence unless I had that vest on. I wore it all year but I could canter and trail ride as long as I had it on. After a year, I actually trusted myself and my horse again (and the dang thing was hot!) and I no longer wear it. Long story short - yes, this is a dangerous sport - I try not to think about that - but yes, you will get over all of your trepidation as your knees continue to heal I believe.

Enjoy that short trail today if your legs are up to it - you may just need the day off! I think someone gave me the ODIC advice earlier this week, hint hint,

@Red's Mom do you have a recipe for your Golden Milk? Sounds like it works and want to get ingredients in just in case!! :D

@LRKO .... you may notice that I've moved your post as your question quite likely might have taken another member's recovery thread off topic. It's certainly a legitimate question, but the right thing to do when going off topic like this is to go to that person's thread to ask the question. Red's Mom should see your question here since you tagged her and hopefully will respond for all to see.

@LRKO This might seem like a lot of work but it turns into a restful evening ritual.

There are many recipes this is my favorite:
8-10oz milk of choice. I like almond
1" cube of fresh ginger diced
3" cinnamon stick
5-10 peppercorns
1T turmeric paste (cooked turmeric)
1/2t ground cinnamon
1/4 - 1/2t ground cardamom
Put everything in a pot you don't love (turmeric stains) bring to a simmer, simmer for 10 minutes
Pour through strainer (over sink) into non stainable mug.

Stir in
1t fat (butter, ghee, coconut oil or almond oil your choice, I use butter)
Honey, molasses or agave to taste

This mix is great for inflammation and sleep.
If this recipe is too spicy reduce the ginger first. The pepper is needed for the turmeric absorption.
If it is too bitter reduce the turmeric to 2t.

Turmeric paste:
In pot you don't love combine 1/4C Tumeric and 1/2C filtered water. Cook over low heat stirring constantly until it turns into a peanut butter like paste. Add more water if it isn't smoothing out. Cook for 7-9 minutes let cool and store in glass jar in fridge for up to 1 week. Warning this paste will stain everything!

Enjoy the ritual......

@Red's Mom[/USER] I`m sure I`ll experience similar emotions when I get back on board, whenever that may be. I actually always found rising trot to be very beneficial for my knee - I guess it maintained my ROM! Dudley, my little Highland Pony was cut late and sired 12 progeny, one of whom is due to foal next month - and I have first refusal! The temptation is huge but realistically, it is way beyond my capabilities and experience. Plus, I have to acknowledge the limitations of my TKR in terms of the practicalities of looking after a horse. Interestingly, the pic below came up as a memory on my fb feed. I had to smile as I was in the process of trying to pull Duds` up and he was having none of it. In the end I just thought 'stuff it' and went with him. Oh my goodness it is the most outstanding and exhilarating ride I have ever had, right across a mile and a half of golden sand, through the river and onto the other side. That little powerhouse left a lot of TB`s standing! I cried with sheer joy when I dismounted!

Those days are probably over now for all the fears you cite above. My original injury was due to an unscheduled dismount and that fear is always at the back of my mind. Plus my knee is nowhere near what I thought it would be at this stage so I`m battling disappointment too. Onwards and upwards though, early days as yet - it certainly is a long and twisting journey!

Roll on the 4th July - true independence!

Dudley XBay Ride.jpg

@Cratchit what a great equestrian picture two of those horses have all 4 feet in the air that looks like an amazing ride I can totally understand why you cried when you got off!

Josephine, Celle, KarriB

When can I go soak for hours at the Korean bath house? I miss my long hot soaks! The king Spa is walking distance away and I have a membership. I remember what happened with the hot tub in Hawaii and don't want a repeat of that!

Remind me what happened and when it happened?

Also, can you not use multiple tags, please? Users with mobile devices report that it makes it very difficult for them to access a post very well as the get in the way. Also your friends who have previously posted to you will be watching your thread so there's really no need for them anyway. I have deactivate those tags.

We did make an announcement about this no so long ago Use of multiple tags or alerts in posts

You swelled up, right? How do you do in a hot bathtub?

@Cratchit what a great equestrian picture two of those horses have all 4 feet in the air that looks like an amazing ride I can totally understand why you cried when you got off!

It`s great, isn`t it?! I`m in the middle trying to pull up but realising the futility of such a move! There`s often been discussion regarding whether all four hooves are off the ground at some point during full gallop - well here`s the evidence!

@Josephine I think the last hot tub soak was on January 25-27. My R knee, then around 8 weeks old got swollen, achy, stiff for 48-72 hours. I'm "dying" for a good hot soak! I only shower at home, my tubs aren't big enough to soak. A friend is in town and has invited me to the Korean bathhouse this Tuesday. That's weeks 15/19. At this point in time except for stiffness on awakening my knees are quite . I suppose I could ice after soaking but that would quickly put an end to the relaxation! Am I far out enough now for a good soak?

KarrieB. Correct! I don't tub bathe at home. After the experience in Hawaii my knees haven't seen any heat! What are your thoughts?

January 25 was about 4 weeks post-op. You are now 3½months post-op. I'd say try a hot tub but only for about 10-15 minutes tops.

When can a girl soak for an hour?
I think that's a "how long is a piece of string" question.

If you're OK after 10 minutes and don't swell up in the following 24 hours, try 15 minutes the next time. If all goes well, gradually increase the time by small increments, but do leave 24 hours between soaks, so you can monitor the effects.

My house is all showers, no tub. But if you have a tub try it out with some hot water and glass of wine :wink: to see how the knees feels.

:horseriding:
Checking in at 16/20 weeks. Life is pretty normal these days! The only knee thing that persists is stiffness first thing in the morning and when I sit for too long. I was able to go and soak at the spa for a limited time. My energy is better and my stamina is slowly improving. I'm also feeling healthier and my flexibility is returning. My bionic knees are stronger and more flexible than the originals. I am very happy that I no longer live in pain. I can now say I'm glad that I have two new knees! Occasionally I still overdo something but the resolution seems quite rapid often overnight with just ice no elevation.

The recovery journey is difficult but for those of you in the midst of it you will get better, life will be better! Have patience and always be gentle with yourself.

One of the things I enjoy and that help my back and neck issues is a hot soak. My wife and I had intense discussion when remodeling the master bath. I have a 3.5x5 soaker tub that I kept. I am looking forward to using it again, as well as going to the pool and the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back