TKR Two New Knees and Hot to Trot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Toni,
So happy to hear all went well :) with all that scar tissue removed, you should feel so much better.
Do you have to follow the " mantra"? I so look forward to only good news from now on :yes: rest up :sleep:
Thinking of you always :console2:
Diana....June sunbeams :SUNsmile:
 
I'm so happy to see that you are home and have answers to your problem. You must be so relieved.
i'll catch up with every one later as the back is still flaring up.
Take care of yourself
Wanda
 
Hi Toni,

Glad to hear you had a good hospital experience. It really makes a difference!

I had open surgery to remove my extensive scar tissue, as did skigirl. She advised me to take it very slow and easy. Control swelling is the most important thing. Do not push to bend or straighten a hot angry knee. I used my compression hose but cut the foot out to make it easier to get on. I would ice and elevate, then put the hose on. I also wore them under my clothing sometimes.

Just really take it easy. Ankle pumps, heel slides, careful walking heel/toe. Add things gradually and don't be in a rush.

I wish you all the best. Please post your questions and help will be on the way!

Be well,

Dawn

Ps: hi Pumpkln, thanks for tagging me! Hope you are well!
 
I also had scar tissue removed from the front of my knee. I was very careful not to stress the knee. My OS assured me that if I tried to over exercise a hot, inflamed knee, I would cause more scar tissue to grow, So I really took it easy the first 8 weeks. I did leg lifts, heel slides, clam shells and I "mobilized my patella" several times a day.

I was surprised by the amount of pain I had the first week---by the second week, it had gone away. I used crutches for a week or so. Mostly, take it easy, don't do anything right now to stress that knee.

I probably spent almost three weeks on the couch, reading. I kept the knee elevated and iced. By the end of the three weeks, my knee was much improved--no swelling and no pain. My pt still would not let me do much in the gym. At eight weeks, I began to strengthen the knee.
 
Dhare63 skigirl. Thank you both for sharing your advise!! My knee is much, much stiffer after the scar tissue removal than it was after the whole replacement! I am laying on the couch with it elevated and iced all day. The only time I walk is to the bathroom. Today I made one trip to the kitchen, and that was it. I do not want to have this scarring return?

My husband says he thinks it was because the PT I had worked me to hard, way too soon, and I agree. That's NOT going to happen again. I am taking it easy, and not doing anything but gentle heel slides, ankle pumps,icing, and elevating. My knee does not want to bend past 50 degrees right now, and that is just fine with me. That tells me there is a lot of swelling in there, and I am not going to make things worse.

It is sore, and stiff right now..much more sore than when I had the original replacement. The small incision ports are sore and sting a bit. They are bandaged up real well. I was told I could remove the bandaging after 48 hours and put small band aids on them. Then I can remove the stitch in each one myself if I want to this weekend according to my OS. My husband said he will do it for me.

My OS said he put the stitch in each incision to keep the pain meds he injected in the knee compartment and tissue from leaking out, knowing I had a two hour drive home. I have to admit, it did a great job. I had no pain at all on the way home, and for the rest of the night.
The one incision port that hurts the most is the one at the top of the quad at the side. It is deep and tender. It's the one they insert the camera scope into..ouchy.

Thank you all so much for your prayers, well wishes and concern. It means the world to me and so do all of you :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends:
 
Good morning Toni,
I am so happy this operation is behind you :) now you can concentrate on your recovery. Isn't it wonderful
That you have first hand experience from this forum. Just a quick tag & they are there to help you :dancy:
They will even come visit before surgery to calm you ( Tashia) this truly is a wonderful " family"& we are so
Happy to be a part of it :tada:
Take care my little " sun beam" :SUNsmile:
Thinking of you always,
Diana :friends:
 
Toni, I had more pain than I thought I would after the open lysis of adhesions!! My knee was stiff the first week or so. But, truly, I was on the couch for three weeks!!! by the end of that time, the swelling was mostly gone and I was ready to go forward. MY OS did not let me have any pt at all for the first three weeks. Then, my pt was so conservative, I was frustrated--but it did work out in the end.

Once you have had scar tissue, you will do anything to avoid getting more of it!!
 
Good to hear you are home. Sending healing wishes.
 
@Kelly & @ Dawn, how do they know that it is adheasions before they operate? Also how long was it from your original surgery to the adheason removal?

My ROM is really bad 102 and not 0. I am working on it now and have gained 3 degrees this week. However My PT says that my knee is like concrete. She can't understand why I am not screaming in pain when she manipulates my knee. I have NO PAIN at all!

My OS has never mentioned a manipulation or adheasion removal. My recovery was long (6 months of swollen, hot knee), an infection, 3 months of quads that did not function and lots of pain.
 
Hi Mimi,

My OS knew by the symptoms and lack of rom I was experiencing. I let him know everything I tried which was a long list, from massage, to pt, to exercises at home, etc. my surgery was exactly one year after original TKR. I was at 12-15 degrees from full extension which is not something I could live with. I also have a history of developing scar tissue as known from previous surgeries.

For me, I didn't really have pain before the scar tissue was removed. I just wasn't able to function properly. Simple walking any distance was a challenge.

The second surgery initially was a challenge. My OS warned me that I would be in for a few days of pain, then things would improve greatly. What was a stiff joint seemed to allow much more fluid motion. It did hurt a lot initially, but I simply concentrated on controlling swelling, elevating my leg and doing the minimum stretching, ankle pumps and heel slides for about 3 weeks. I switched to a different pt who believed in the less is more approach. She did lymphatic massage and I wore compression hose after each icing. These were the things that I credit for my outcome. Kelly had advised me to follow her example and it really worked.

I would go speak with my OS and see what they think. There is no reason to be stuck like you are. If you get rebuffed, see someone else. If you don't get the answers you want, come see me in Vermont and I will connect you with my OS, who is one the best human beings I know!

Keep me posted and let us know what's on your mind. Your were such a great support to me and I want to return the favor!

skigirl, what do you think?
 
Thanks Dawn. My flexion is like a 2 and my extension is the problem at 102. I walk fine and can go for hours with no problems. Sometimes I think that because it took so long for me to recover and get out of pain , that my OS doesn't want to touch my leg. I am seeing some better movement with the PT and I am doing some new things for me at least, that are working.

Good to hear that all is well with you. I remember well what you went through too!
 
Mimi,

Your flexion is a 102 and your extension is a 2. Since it is improving with gentle PT, I would go with that. You can continue to get new flexion and extension for quite a while after the surgery---many people improve even after a year. Since you were a slow healer, I am sure that your improvement will continue to go forward.
 
new knee in June Hi Diana girl!! Thank you for thinking of me though this whole thing. Even when I was feeling low and not posting I would pop on and your posts would make me feel good. Us June Sunbeams hang tight!! I am hoping this surgery solves the issue.
You sound like you are coming along just great with your recovery and I am so glad to here that!!

Luv you my fellow June Sunbeam!!
 
Dear Toni,
I felt like I was posting to you a little to much :) but, I said what the heck, this is how I felt, your my little
" sunbeam" :SUNsmile: & I want only the best for you.
I hope your tightness gets better.
:angel: this is the answer you have been waiting for :console2:
Love you,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Good to hear your home, and they treated you well, I want to go there :)
 
Hi all..well, it is one week since my scar tissue removal. My knee is sore, stiff to walk on, and hot. I had the stitches removed on Friday. All looked good. I can't believe how sore I am. I feel like I just got home from the original replacement surgery.

I don't have the terrible pulling pain anymore. The scar tissue across the front of the kneecap is gone. Now I guess I will just need to let the swelling go down. I can feel it. It makes it hard to walk. I take it easy and only walk around the house if I have to. It gets super stiff during the night and aches a lot. When I get up in the morning it is sooo stiff I can hardly function, but it let's up after a while. It's still not feeling normal to walk on because of the internal swelling and stiffness.

I have a wedding to attend on Oct 19. I sure hope I am better by then.

Take care my BoneSmart buddies!!
 
Hang in there Toni, it will get better. Don't forget to elevate when icing, which I am sure you are doing. I also had my pt do lymphatic massage which helped push the fluid out of my system. It may be worth talking about with your pt.

Keep us posted and do take care,

Dawn
 
Toni,
Good to see you, take it easy and let your knee heal. Dawn's suggestion about lymphatic massage is something you should look into for your swelling.
Wishing you continued healing,
 
Hi all..well,I am not having PT at all. The surgeon just gave me a list if things to do while it heals like no excessive walking, but to do heal slides and quad sets and stretches. There is no one in my area that does lymphatic massage..only a PT.

I am going well..my extension is back to 145. I take it very easy. It is just sooo stiff feeling when I do walk, and it starts to really hurt in the night while I sleep.
 
Hi Toni,
I hope like Ski girl says, after the first few weeks the pain will subside :) your knee must be like a
Frozen Popsicle you've been icing for sooooo long :shocked: I hope by the wedding you are feeling much
Better. Please keep posting....we are here for you :friends: my little sun beam :SUNsmile:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom