TKR Two New Knees and Hot to Trot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all my wonderful friends. I went to the surgeon yesterday. Come to find out he put a different implant in my left leg..a new model. He is still working out the fine tuning on it..wonderful..I am a lab rat!!!
Needless to say, I am furious. I was never consulted, my permission was not given, and I would never have known if I did not notice the difference in implant shape and style on my x-rays. I noticed that the femoral component is thick at the top.i mentioned that to my husband. I feel it is a flaw in the design as
I am one of three patients that are having an issue with extra tissue at the top of the femoral component that seems to be either getting in the way, or caught in the component. The surgeon says the other two patients have PCL replacing implants, and I am the first to have the issue that has a PCL sparing one.

He also said that each implant design can require certain things that are done when they are put in, and he now realizes that with this one, trimming away excess fat pad at the top of the knee, which is normal to be there, may be needed when he installs this one. Women have tendency to have a bit more normally than men. He said that does bother him as we are designed to have it, and he hates to remove anything that should be there, but that may be needed with future patients!! I am astounded and sooo mad, disappointed, and depressed with the whole thing.

My knee gets slightly 'stuck' when I bend or extend. It doesn't keep me from bendin ( 148 degrees and 0) but it poses a problem when I walk as when it gets to that certain point when I walk, when it uncatches it pitches the knee forward a touch and if I'm not careful, I trip, and it looks terrible as I limp!

The surgeon gave me a cortisone injection and asked to give it 6 more weeks to see if the problem resolves itself. He said when the rest of the internal swelling goes down, it may just be fine. He also said that I could have had a bit of a bleeder in the knee that caused some scar tissue, or tissue thickening.

If its not better in 6 weeks, he will go in arthroscopically to have a look and remove what he has too.
He also asked it he could video me before the surgery..to show them the issue with the catching and how just pulling upward slightly on the tissue at the top of the knee resolves the problem completely, so he can get it to the implant designer! I can't believe it.

All my blood levels were normal..no infection. The only thing that was a bit high was the inflammatory markers..30 is normal, mine were 38, so no problem. That is normal so soon after surgery.

The cortisone injection has made me feel a bit better, but I still feel that something is in the way at the top of the knee. The movement is stiff at this point.

Needless to say, I am not a happy camper..an implant I knew nothing about, not telling me, and now having to face a fine tune.

Thank you all my wonderful, wonderful friends for your understanding and prayers..I don't know what I would do without you all. :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

I didn't want to post for a while as I felt so downhearted, and I want to be able to GIVE to the wonderful members here, not just take and complain. I also don't want to scare those who may be newbies with gloom and doom!!

So, now that I at least have a bit of an explanation, I feel much better, and can give the encouragement to everyone that they have given me.

Did I tell you all how special you all are? Well, you all are priceless, and I luv you all my friends.
 
Toni, I am glad you are back and posting. I would be so mad that had happened to me. However I have to say I didn't even ask my doctor for my other knee I just assumed he would put the same replacement in the other knee. Thank God he did. I am sorry that you are going thru this. Please keep me posted on how you are doing. Easy does it. Tashia
 
Oh my goodness!
I would not be a happy camper either if my surgeon decided to make me his guinea pig! You have every right to be mad at him! Now, if at 6 weeks, he has to go back in, you won't have to pay a dime will you???:headbang:
 
Hi Sonja. RestAssured. I have no idea if I will have to pay or not..he may just say that I developed scar tissue that was beyond his control to get around absorbing the cost himself.

Yes, I am furious!! I already have friends telling me that if this knee doesn't come up to snuff to get an attorney and sue. I will give him a chance to make this knee as good as my other one. My Stryker implant feels natural..if I was in an accident and got amnesia and no one told me I had an artificial knee, I would never be able to tell..that's how natural it feels

I can tell already that this implant will never feel natural..different design, and oval movement.. I'm just so mad that I may need to have another surgery

But, Sonja, my dear friend, I should NOT complain..I look at everything YOU have gone through and continue to go through with your knees, and feel embarrased when I whine..you my dear are a true inspiration..thank you for being the upbeat, angel you are.
 
Toni,
He chose to put this implant in without your permission. Politely talk to him and tell him if you are still having issues when you go at six weeks that the cost "will be absorbed by you won't it doctor ...?" After all, I had no idea that you were going to try something different without my consent.:umm: Then smile sweetly and wait for his reply! I will bet you he will definitely be willing to absorb ALL costs!:heehee:

As for our journeys Toni, mine might have been longer, but I didn't have an OS that didn't put the knee in me that I expected, and not even tell me until I started having problems! So we both have our battle, but I am so thankful you don't have to battle infection along with the other problems.

God bless you Toni!:angel:
 
Dear Toni,
I am so relived & happy to hear from you :friends:, but not with this news. I am so sorry you have to go
Through this. I am at a loss for words, to go through replacement & possibly have more surgery is unacceptable.
It sounds like your os knew about the very same thing you have struggled with.
Please don't worry about worrying us "bone smarties " we are a tough bunch :tada: & would much rather hear from you
Once on a while.
I would have a lawyer lined up, not only to pay for more surgery, but for pain & suffering.
Toni, my dear we love you & it hurts me to see you having to go through this. :console2:
We are always here for you,
Diana.....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: :friends:
 
Hi Titianlady it's so good to hear from you!!! Wow is all can say after reading your update. I feel if he is reluctant to remove tissue from a knee that he feels should remain, he should have never used this new knee replacement. I think if one wishes to experiment the patient should give an informed consent to allow this.
Anyway I hope things go well and here's wishing you a smooth recovery. :friends:
Wanda
 
new knee in June Diana, My way Wanda. Thank you so much for your love and concern... I need it right now. I found out from his nurse,
he has been using this implant in all his patients since November! She couldn't even tell me the name of the thing..the manufacturer or the model..so I am in a long line of guinea pigs it seems!!

I'll never know just how many folks have had issues. I will as I said, let him make this situation right, but I also know that since I have my other knee to compare this one too, it will never feel the same.

I also bet that sometime in the future they will refine this implant, but that won't help me out, and that eventually the surgeon will probably start using something else if this one keeps presenting issues.

Oh, we'll, I am in it for the long haul and will now have to live with it.
 
Dear Toni,
Could you possibly get your report for the surgery ? As to what went on in the or ? I had to request all
My records from a nephrologist ( kidney doc.) once & just had to sign a release. It would state the type
Of implant used & if os had any concerns during surgery.
I know you are angry, upset & tired.
But, this is a time to fight....get all your records & read them yourself ( if I can you can)
Your last sentence was sad....you don't have to live with it...you may have to fight to get where you want to be.
He also discharged you after 1 day.
I am sorry, but I am a little upset :hissy: I don't mean to sound so bossy.
Diana....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: getting answers :console2:
 
Toni,
Glad to see you are back!
So sorry to hear you have to go through this. Ask for the sticker sheet from the hospital, they should have the name of the implant, size, and serial number.
Take it easy and take care,
 
Hi Toni.
you are so right to be mad as hell. I shall keep bending God's ear on this one. Keep positive. Joe
 
I may be joining the mad as h*** club! :headbang:

I called Dr. Maale's office and talked to Amy, and she sent a prescription of pain pills to the pharmacy! First I have asked for in a long time. I guess after a while the old ones lose their effectiveness. Anyway, my professor said he needed a note from the doctor about "Capsie" being bad and a note from me, so that he could turn my grade in as an incomplete! Well, when I talked to Amy, she said, I don't know whether he will do that or not! :happydance: :groan: :shocked: I said, well Amy, it is very difficult to get a thesis of 10 pages with15 references to make sense when you are taking pain meds. I explained that I till has som from surgery! :headbang:
 
Good morning Toni,
I apologize for my being upset yesterday :hissy: I have calmed down a bit, & forgot to ask how you are feeling.
Is your swelling down ? Did the cortisone shot help any ? Are you able to go out dining with your husband ?
Sorry so many questions :heehee:
I hope you can get out & have a little fun this weekend :martini:
I will :angel: that the next 6 weeks you will see improvement in your knee.
Take care,
Diana.....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: ... :friends: :console2:
 
Dr. Maale was on his way to surgery as I found out; he is having surgery! :groan:
 
Toni
So shocked that the OS has used you as an experimental lab-rat without your permission or knowledge! :yikes: Do you know whether this implant is even approved for use? (don't you have to be informed if you are being part of a trial?) - as this would give me serious concerns that insurance might not cover further treatment for an "experimental procedure"

Are you sure that you trust this OS to do further procedures on you? I don't like his idea that the patient needs to be cut to fit the implant - sounds terrible to me. Cutting/removing a fat layer will give you major soft tissue damage that will need a new recovery

So sorry that this has happened to you :friends:
 
Hello all..I don't know about the implant..it may be a new model by a reputable company and my surgeon liked what he saw and decided to use it. Regardless, I expected the same implant as my other..I specifically requested the Stryker last year for my first knee.

Things are not getting better..the grabbing is getting worse, and it know feels like my knee gets twisted when it catches..and painful

I don't think I can wait 6 more weeks..I can't walk correctly and my back is killing me because of it.
 
Dear Toni,
Are you on any pain meds ?i know your doc is 2 hours away. Is the hospital where you had surgery
Any closer ? I'm afraid you will have to get on the phone tomorrow,
When they discharge us from the hospital it says right in the discharge papers.....if you have an emergency
Get to the hospital.
I believe this is an emergency.....
So sorry about your pain :console2:
I am so :sad:
We love you & don't like to see you suffer
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom