TKR Two New Knees and Hot to Trot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to say.....I also gently massaged the lump. :angel: in a few weeks you won't need
Anything else done to your poor knee.
Have a relaxing day :SUNsmile:
Diana :friends:
 
Titianlady,

You have posted that your knee is swollen, but I was not sure if you had stated if you were having any drainage? As you know, swelling can range from very normal at this stage in your recovery (approx 5 weeks from surgery) to problematic. There are some basic issues that your surgeon will evaluate for at this time potentially including infection, hematoma, blood clot in the leg, issues with the prosthesis, and wound healing. Since you have been through this with your other knee, you know that it takes many months to fully recover from knee replacement surgery. I hope this knee completes out it's healing without any other difficulties. Keep us informed.

Orthodoc
 
There isn't anyone on here who hasn't had multiple worries about their knee. I think in the grand scheme of things, your swelling, while upsetting, is minor. It's probably something that time will take care of. You're still in the infancy of TKR recovery as you know.

Any fluid in and around the knee joint will make it feel stiff. Everyone at your stage has stiffness. Almost none at your stage have ROM of 138. Progress, not perfection! I have permanent stiffness which I would LOVE to go away!!
 
Orthodoc. I started having swelling very badly 2 days after surgery...the entire leg blew up like a balloon, was so bad that it felt the skin was going to split. My surgeon told me to elevate. After 2 days on continuous elevation, it did go down substantially.

I never had a drop of drainage from my incision, however an area right at the beginning of the incision above my kneecap got very sore, a bit red, and painful to the touch. I was assured it was nothing by the visiting health nurses even thought that area of the incision hurt and burned, because I had no drainage or fever. Same thing with the painful calf muscle.

I do know what the normal swelling and tightness feel like. This does NOT feel the same. I feel like I have jello in the knee..bending it feels like I'm moving it through water..like I'm in a swimming pool. The swelling does not let me walk correctly..my knee is now starting to stiffen badly.

I will be seeing my GP's PA on Friday. Both my GP and my OS are out for the next two weeks!

I will insist on an ultrasound..nothing about this recovery has felt 'right' from the start.

This does not feel the same at all.
 
I am so sorry to hear about this. When I had my first knee done my both knees got swelled and very hot. I went to the doctor and he took care of it. Please keep me posted and let me know what I can do for you. Take care my dear Friend. Tashia
 
Toni,
Sorry to hear your second recovery is so bumpy. I hope the PA and your primary can help get to the bottom of this.
Can the PA drain the fluid from your knee to send to the lab? If nothing else your knee might feel better.
Being on the slow road to recovery is no fun, and the hot weather this summer does not help!
All the best with your appointments tomorrow. :angel:
 
So sorry to hear that your knee is feeling so bad - hope you can get some tests organized quickly
:kittykiss:
 
Good morning Toni,
Good luck at your app. Today, hopefully your doctor can order some tests, to get to the
Bottom of your swelling :) I will say a :angel: for you & hope it's nothing serious.
I am so sorry you have to go through all the pain & swelling :console2:
Thinking of you & wishing you the best,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
new knee in June. Hi Diana..thank you so much for your good thoughts. I just came home from my Dr's PA. She gave me some antibiotics, and an anti inflammatory patch. She said that the fluid seems to feel like it is in an area of the tissue, not nessesarily in the knee compartment itself.

Her concern is that they may have traumatized or injured the lymphatic system with the surgery. I go for an ultra sound of the knee and leg at 3:00pm today to be on the safe side.

I'll let you all know what the verdict is. :friends: :thankyou:
 
Hi Titianlady I have been waiting to hear the verdict. I'm happy you didn't have to wait long for the ultra sound.
I'm sending you my best thoughts.
Wanda:friends:
 
My way. Thank you Wanda.. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something. Let's hope that the antibiotics and the anti inflammatory patches will help. :)
 
Dear Toni,
I certainly hope the anti-biotics help :) did your doctor say anything about draining the area ?
I guess we are all waiting for your results.....can you still do your gentle exercises?
Did she say if icing & elevating would help? Sorry about all the questions :heehee:
I'm sending you well wishes for a relaxing weekend :SUNsmile:
And :angel: for good test results.
June sunbeams forever.. :friends:
Diana :kittykiss:
 
Hope the antibiotics help your knee and that everything went OK with your ultrasound
:friends:
 
Good afternoon new knee in June puffin@My way. The Dr was supposed to call me before end of day yesterday with my ultrasound results, but I didn't hear a thing. I started my antibiotics right away when I got home from the Dr.

The Dr did mention draining the swelling, or injecting the knee..I forgot what that was..started with a K. I opted out of injecting the knee or having the PA drain it. I want an orthopedic expert doing that..injecting into the knee at this time can be dangerous if not done right.

We went out to dinner later in the evening, and then came home and I elevated and iced. Work up this morning and the knee had stiffened up terribly and hurts.

Oh, we'll, one way or the other, I will need to find out what's going on with it..I'm going backwards
 
Dear Toni,
:console2: :console2: :friends: :friends:
I will say a :angel: for you my dear.i hope your pain subsides & you are more comfortable.
Thinking of you,
Diana :kittykiss:
 
Good morning Titianlady it's so frustrating when you don't hear from your Dr. and then have to wait out the weekend. How are things today? I suppose it's a little early to expect any improvement from the antibiotics.
I'm thinking of you and hope this gets sorted soon.
:friends:
Wanda
 
Titianlady, So sorry I haven't written. I got into trouble Friday and by Saturday I was in trouble. I was cleaning and did something with my hand. Its better, I afraid I turned off all the phones on Saturday because the hand hurt so bad and had to sleep and keep lots of ice and heat. I will see the doctor this week. Now that is enough about me what about you? The lump what is it? I am so glad you are on antibiotics. This will cover so many areas. Have you heard from the doctor yet about the test. I did read where it was damaged because of trama, that sounds weird but ok if that is what he said. I was wondering if a little ripe happened at a muscle or tendion and liquid got around it and got hard. Like the body does when its been damage. It builds a protection around the injured part like cist. Please let me know whats up. My UTI is gone now but it sure knock the heck out of me. Now we got to get you up and the knee down and back to healing. Can't wait to hear what the doctor says about the test. Tashia
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom