Guest viewing is limited

THR Two down, none to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the doc cleared me to sleep on my operated side, I couldn't simply roll over and put direct pressure near the incision area. I became most comfortable rolling even further over my side, sort of on the side of my tummy, but with a pillow tucked under my leg. Even now, four years later, I still do that...it just got to be my routine.

Point is...experiment. Pillows are your friend. And I agree with Jaycey....you are just two months out. It may just plain be too soon.

Sharon
 
Try not to push these things the more you fret over it the worse it seem, soon without thinking you will just turn over without thinking.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Really kind of bummed right now. Operated hip doing fine at 8 weeks (today!) but other hip (left) causing me to limp and have back pain/hip pain. I cannot go for walks as would be limping and in pain. Hope the lack of walking doesn't hurt the replaced hip. I have been doing the PT strengthening exercises for the right leg so hopefully that will be enough until I have the other hip done in July. Anyone have any advise/words of wisdom for me?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just do what you can without aggravating that bad hip. Hips really don't need that much exercise. Are you using any walking aid? Icing that bad hip? So sorry you have to wait so long for number 2!
 
Thanks, no have not been icing, just taking naproxen. 18 weeks between the two ops I think is pretty good in terms of recovering from the first op, but not in terms of "I want this out of my life now!" It only hurts when I walk, not usually if I'm sitting or laying down so much. I will try the ice though, even maybe put it on before bedtime so maybe I will wake up with less pain. I do keep my knees elevated with a pillow. I do have oxycodone I could take but not sure if I should take that with the anti-inflammatory. Also don't really like taking out. Guess maybe I should call the surgeon and find out......


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Jaycey, forgot to answer you re the walking aid. Around the house I don't unless I am going up or down stairs. Outside I use a cane-actually thinking I should switch the can to the operated side......


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I do have oxycodone I could take but not sure if I should take that with the anti-inflammatory.
Let's tag Jo on this one @Josephine .
Around the house I don't unless I am going up or down stairs.
If the non-op side is sore I would use anything that helps you keep the weight off that side.
This is a tough one as there is very little that helps pre-op pain.
 
just taking naproxen. I do have oxycodone I could take but not sure if I should take that with the anti-inflammatory
Assuming your oxycodone doesn't have acetaminophen in it, why not take Tylenol? It's a much better pain killer than any NSAID. And you can take naproxen, oxy and acetaminophen all together! Doctors often prescribe it that way. However, if the oxy also has acetaminophen then forget what I said!
actually thinking I should switch the can to the operated side.....
Tip: always use the cane on the opposite side to the pain and it should move with that leg for maximum benefit, so it shares the weight bearing.
 
I have a couple of questions. I am 9 weeks post op on right side. I had lateral surgery and all restrictions were lifted at week 6. Also, in case it is relevant, I will be having the left side done in July. Would it be ok for me to get a massage that would include the incision area? It feels like a big lump and is numb in one side. Is that normal at 9 weeks? Thanks for any input!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Debra
My physio told me a few weeks ago (My op was March 23) to massage the incision vigorously perpendicular to the stitch line. She said the scars can cause problems so I have been doing that and it feels better and looser. My physio is excellent and worked at the hospital before she opened her own business.
 
Granny Di, thanks. I will call my massage therapist and see if she can break up that knot I have. I will try doing it myself also. Appreciate your response.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm back to the waiting game (for the 2nd hip!). Can't do much, life is sort of on hold again. Have to keep telling myself that, by the end of the year, I can start living my life more fully and without pain. The waiting is (again) the hardest part.........


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow DebraR. It seems like you experienced the same good bedside manners as I did. I had mine at Stanford and my doctor would have his minions come in and talk to me. My doctor came in a couple times saying he can't believe with all the medication I am taking why I would have so much pain. I just felt alone in the hospital -- even the nurses were rude. kind of as If they didn't like their job. Just not a good experience and glad to be home. Tryinig to keep on top of the pain. Buttock pain is the worst. It feels like I have a muscle spasm or something else going on. Hang in there. Each day you might face different hurdles, but just always remember you are on the road to recovery. Hugs! Dani
 
@Dani thanks for that. Just want the second operation to be over with and then I will feel like I am headed down that road-right now it's a waiting game......


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Dani yes the hospital was the worst part for me too! Kind of degrading asking for bedpans and both my surgeon and my hospital physiotherapist were so not comforting in any way. And I will have to do it all over again. Intellectually, I know I am lucky to be able to have this surgery and go on to live a great life, but emotionally it is sometimes hard to come to terms with-I think it's mostly the waiting that is getting me down.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Can anyone tell me if it is normal to have numbness beside my incision at 10-11 weeks post op? If it is normal, when can I expect the numbness to go away and is there anyway to speed that up? I have been massaging it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@DebraR I am sending you good thoughts, hugs, and prayers for the best caring hands when you have your new hip surgery. The numbness is normal and may or may not go away. I have it in different degrees near all of my incisions. I do not understand when the power to care for and promote the well being of a patient after a major surgery rests primarily with the nurses they can be so callous. After three joint replacements, I had one good stay, one ok stay, and one that was horrid. Maybe you have your horrid behind you . Keep us posted. I think you are brave and looking forward to a more mobile life. Cheers to you.
 
@sunbunny thanks for your kind words. Yes, I am certainly looking forward to my second surgery. I hope to only have to stay in hospital 3 days at the most, as opposed to 6 days for the first hip. Seeing that the 2 surgeries will be approx 4 months apart, the chances are I would have the same nurses (I did have a couple of sweeties though!) and that physiotherapist from hell. If that happens, I will deal with it and try to get out of there as soon as I can. But it's not always our choice! I had the nerve pain (which kept me in bed), fevers, diarreah, and various other things that prevented me from going home earlier. Sorry to hear you had a horrid experience at one point also. I said to hubby the other day that I could not wait for the day that I don't talk about my hips anymore. They have occupied much too much time in my life and I'm ready to forget about them and just live!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@DebraR gosh you are so right. At night, when everything seems worse, I really start to worry about restrictions and then I go to worry of dislocation. Tomorrow I am going to do some normal things. Hugs
 
@sunbunny Every time I get a pain/weird feeling in my operated leg, I think "oh no, what was that, is setting wrong?" I think it's probably normal to have these thoughts and feelings, but scary at the time they happen. Hope you have a wonderful day doing lots of normal things. Deb


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom