Guest viewing is limited

TKR Twinkletoes' Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
Tim!!! And, I was just about to post how embarrassed I was because I thought I had stumbled upon the details and fixed it myself, but it was YOU doing the fixing. You're my hero!
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
 
I have a question :what: ...I do not have all the facts, since I didn't get this first hand, but a friend of ours in New Jersey has a friend who just had a knee replacement this past Tuesday, June 19th, and he said that he did not have a general anesthesia, and was only groggy during the procedure. He did have an incision, but there was no cutting inside. :what: Somehow, this surgeon (Dr. Schoifet) does a procedure that allows him to insert the new knee without cutting any cartilage or ligaments, thus making the recovery much less painful and the recovery time much quicker. Our friend also mentioned that Dr. Schoifet worked with Stryker to design this surgical procedure. Has anyone here heard of this procedure??? :sos:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
T! That is the doctor that our friend told us about. Our friend and my hubby went to school with one of the surgeon's relatives (not sure if it was the father or brother). I just couldn't believe that there was no cutting inside! I wish the rest of the surgeons would have known about that procedure...
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
 
Twink, this is the same surgery that I just had, and I'm doing very well. Most major areas in the US have surgeons that are doing this surgery, but you do need to ask - it isn't so widespread that you can assume it will be done this way. Maybe your own surgeon did it. It's still a big surgery, but without the quad ligament and muscle being cut, it's easier early on. But it's no revolutionary miracle that allows you to skip over recovery! There is a lot of hype in marketing these days! Like this one, what are they inferring by "same day surgery"? That's non-sensicle!
 
Twink,

I don't think it means NO CUTTING inside,it just means they do not cut the Quad and Quad tendon. I would think they still have to clean everything out of the space in there and still have to cut the bone of the new knee to fit. If you do a google search on minimally invasive knee replacement you might find a video of the surgery on-line.
 
Thank you Janet and Rose! The way our friend was talking, the inserting of the new knee was like David Copperfield making the Statue of Liberty disappear! The first time he mentioned his friend having the surgery, he was insistant that there was no icision!
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
Then, when he called the other night, he made a few minor adjustments to what he told us. I never had a clue before my surgery, so in one way, it was probably best for me. I don't think I could have handled all that information. I never would have been able to view the video either.
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I can't even watch doctor shows on TV. I can't stand it. I am a scaredy-cat!
 
I have a good explanation of this here but it does contain some graphic images and even a video if you are up to it. But MIS knee replacement surgery is nothing like the MIS hip replacement surgery or keyhole surgery.

In short, MIS TKR is all about a) the incision which is simply shorter than it used to be (about 15 years ago!!!) and b) about splitting between the planes of muscles and not cutting through them, which to tell the truth, has never been done. There is a little technique called a quad snip which is occasionally used in complex (revision) surgery or where extra access is needed for some reason, but it's not usually done in routine replacements though for some reason, people (surgeons) still insist in claiming "quads sparing" like that's the uncommon procedure and not the reverse!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
Josephine, but I had to pass on the graphic video! And, I thank you for pre-warning me too.
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
Everyone laughs at me because I'm so squeamish and cowardly when it comes to graphic medical things. As I mentioned somewhere in this website, I cannot even watch movies and TV shows about doctors and surgery.
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I do enjoy action movies, but have to watch those 'certain' parts through my fingers, or close my eyes altogether.
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
 
Hi everyone!
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I kept getting the message, "website cannot be displayed" but I finally got back in.


I went for a check up today (Tuesday, July 3rd) and since I couldn't wait around for my surgeon, I saw the P.A. I had had an unusally bad night last night and told him that I felt very stiff and knew that my flexion wouldn't be what it was just yesterday. He guessed it to be a little over 90 when I told him that it was at least 110 yesterday... He mentioned MUA again and I almost flipped out!
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I told him very calmly that I would not go through that again!
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
He seemed a little surprised at my being so adamant, but I explained that after having the MUA in April, I reached 135 degrees, and since then, my flexion kept getting worse. I went on to say that having become part of the Bonesmarties, I knew that I will get the flexion I need when my knee is good and ready,
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
and not when I'd want it to be, and not when the surgeon wanted it to be. He seemed to accept that, although he urged me to continue with the Dynasplint.
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I said that I would, but not for an hour and a half a day.
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I have to go back in 6 weeks and he told me that he expects me to be at 110 cold and 120 or better by that time.
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery

I left feeling more than a little down in the dumps.
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
 
Hi Twinkletoes

Oh poor you :puppysmooze:. I think you are wise to give it some more time and 6 weeks seems like a good time frame. I really hope your knee decides to cooperate with you - good luck and good wishes to you :thumb:
 
Jo ~ for that. I am fairly confident that in another six weeks, I will have more flexion. I will have to have daily chats with my new knee and give it some pep talks.
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
 
Another MUA?
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
So glad, Twink, that you stood up for yourself and said no. Maybe just taking a break from all this stress and working on ROM and just doing the "normal" things will actually lead to more flexion. And pep talks can't hurt. Here's another little cheerleader to help out
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
. Take care.
 
Judy ~ Thank you for the additional cheerleader!
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I found another to add to our little group...
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
The more, the merrier, I say!
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I've really been very busy doing all those 'normal' things, but my knee sometimes lets me know that I've done too much.
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I'm trying to ignore it unless it keeps me from doing some of the things I consider normal. Last night, we went to a movie theatre. I haven't been to a movie since surgery, although we've been to the live theatre several times now. So, that's a good thing.
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I am still using the cane (walking stick) only when going out as I am nervous about people crowding me.
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
 
Hi Twinkletoes,

It's been a long time since you posted here!

I've been following your thread because I've come up against so many of the same things. Can't take any serious pain meds without nasty side effects, and find ibuprofen makes me even sicker, have a ROM that won't allow me to get in and out of the swimming pool or a hot tub or sit in a movie, have friends who have moved on bored with waiting for me to pull-my-socks-up and get-on-with-it.

Please write some more and tell us how you're doing. I see you've posted on other threads, but are you feeling more enthusiastic about your knee? Have things improved in the pain department? Are you sleeping well? What are your feelings about the MUA you had - worth it?

I'd love to know, and hoping you're now not only seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but the sunshine is illuminating the tunnel end!
 
Hi vancouverite!
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I do keep looking to see if anyone has posted in my thread, and since there haven't been anyone visiting me here, I have been posting in other threads. Not only could I not take any of the big time pain meds, I also cannot take any anti-inflammatory meds either! They upset my poor, sensitive tummy!
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
Aren't those well-meaning friends (and even family) just wonderful for a person's morale??? I wasn't educated in the TKR before surgery (and I think I'm better off that way..."ignorance is bliss" - well, not in this case, but I'll touch on that later). I think if I really knew beforehand what I would be going through, I might not have gone through with it. You know, being told that it's the most difficult of surgeries and loooooooong recoveries just did not process in my mind. Here I was thinking that being a Ballroom dancer/instructor and very active, I wouldn't meet with the same problems that everyone else had! OMG who was I kidding???
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I did have to miss out on a lot of dance sessions
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
(since retiring from professional dancing). I had been dancing a few times a week and also working out with a trainer a couple times a week,
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
but that too was put off. I was using Tiger Balm by the buckets and it didn't really help. You asked about the MUA... I was scared to death
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
and went through with it only because my gung-ho surgeon thought that the only reason I wasn't getting the necessary flexion was that he would have to eliminate the adhesions. I saw the photo of me asleep on the table and he got my heel to touch my tushy!
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
He guessed that was about 135 degrees ROM. So, he ordered me to PT every day after that, and by the first appointment, I started going backwards in my ROM! I was more swollen and crying and couldn't stand it! My OS (really nice guy) expected me to push through the pain and be a little soldier. I tried to explain that I'm not a soldier, I'm a princess, but he didn't want to hear it. He did suggest acupuncture
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
since I believe in it, off I went to see our acupuncturist (whom we've known for many years and had been treated for multiple problems) and I do believe that that helped me the most!
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I'm still seeing him twice a week for the swelling and pain. Now, my OS decides that I need the Dynasplint - a nasty contraption that forces the knee to bend! I have used it and while having it on, it isn't too horrible, but when I take it off, OUCH!
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I've tried it several more times, but always with the same results. I saw the P.A. (physician's assistant) and he wasn't pleased with my ROM and suggested ANOTHER MUA! I told him absolutely not! I wasn't going to go through that again. I have another appointment with my OS and I think he may be very disappointed in me. I dread having to see him unless I have reached at least 120 degrees! When I have the acupuncture, I can feel that my knee is less swollen, less painful and even a little less confined feeling. Since we're fortunate to have an elevator in our home, I had been using that almost exclusively, but my hubby got caught between floors the other night and I had to walk downstairs to open the outer door and bring him a step ladder to climb out on. The motor has to be replaced and may take over a week. I'm now trying to not have to get up and down many times a day, but try to think of everything needed before going upstairs or downstairs. Sleeping?
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I am sleeping better, but still have to have a little pillow under my knee and can't sleep on both sides like I used to. I wake up to change positions, and then, with my falling bladder, I have to get up several times a night to go potty too. I hope I've answered your questions through all my babbling.
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
And, yes I do have moments when I feel almost 'normal' again. I'm going out more often and doing some of the ordinary, everyday things, but am still not ready to have my trainer back for work outs, or dancing yet. I'm also not ready to say that I'm happy that I had the TKR! I can sit in a movie theatre or live theatre without much trouble. I am certainly very aware of my knee (2012 is the Year of the Knee!) and make sure that no one bumps me or gets too close to my knee.


Which isn't always easy to do!


We all have to remember...

[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery




 
Hi, Twinkletoes.....you poor baby.....you have been through so much in these few months. I think your decision NOT to have another MUA is just right. Your poor knee is telling you it needs to rest and heal, not be pushed, shoved and splinted into a bend it's not ready to do yet. Don't hesitate to take some type of pain medication when you hurt. Some people need it for many months after surgery and you may be one of those folks....especially since your knee hasn't really had the "down time" it seems to be crying for.

Just be sure you are doing gentle movements several times each day...bends and stretches. It's okay to push to a little discomfort, but no pain. And you should NOT have pain following anything you do, including wearing that splint. The pain is a signal that things are angry and inflamed, which isn't going to do your knee any good at all.

You have my permission to be a full-time Princess!!! [Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery Josephine
 
Jamie & Josephine ~
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery


Although I am happy being a Princess, (full time or otherwise) I couldn't resist this little sign I saw somewhere...

[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I am not a Princess…..my needs are more like a Queen!
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
 
Hi vancouverite!
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I do keep looking to see if anyone has posted in my thread, and since there haven't been anyone visiting me here, I have been posting in other threads. Not only could I not take any of the big time pain meds, I also cannot take any anti-inflammatory meds either! They upset my poor, sensitive tummy!


I wouldn't meet with the same problems that everyone else had! OMG who was I kidding???
You asked about the MUA... I was scared to death
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
and went through with it only because my gung-ho surgeon thought that the only reason I wasn't getting the necessary flexion was that he would have to eliminate the adhesions.


I'm now trying to not have to get up and down many times a day, but try to think of everything needed before going upstairs or downstairs.

Sleeping?
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
I am sleeping better, but still have to have a little pillow under my knee and can't sleep on both sides like I used to. I wake up to change positions, and then, with my falling bladder, I have to get up several times a night to go potty too. I hope I've answered your questions through all my babbling.
[Bonesmart.org] Twinkletoes' Recovery
And, yes I do have moments when I feel almost 'normal' again. I'm going out more often and doing some of the ordinary, everyday things, but am still not ready to have my trainer back for work outs, or dancing yet. I'm also not ready to say that I'm happy that I had the TKR! I can sit in a movie theatre or live theatre without much trouble. I am certainly very aware of my knee (2012 is the Year of the Knee!) and make sure that no one bumps me or gets too close to my knee.

Thanks Twinkletoes,

No, I've found I can't take anti-inflammatory meds either, and nothing opiate based or opiate-like either. Didn't realise any of this as I've so rarely ever taken ibuprofen (or anything else) in the past. What pain meds can you take - just tylenol? How does that work for you? I'm finding it does nothing for pain, plus it gives my (now) poor sore stomach acid reflux.

Hearing you on your "I wouldn't meet with the same problems". People who bike 800 km a month, swim and do pilates 3 times a week were bound to fare way better after a tkr than the average person, right? - NOT!

Thanks for the info on MUA experiences. Very helpful.

I also live in a 3 storey house, but no elevator. I guarantee you that there will always be something you need on the floor above or below you, and you won't have enough hands to carry what you need up and down the stairs! Backpacks don't seem to work for carrying a plate of food, or a cup of tea I've found......

Glad to hear you're feeling normal sometimes and that sleep is getting better. Gives me hope. Sometimes I think the light at the end of tunnel is just another tkr recoverer with a flashlight looking for the exit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom