Revision TKR Turtle's Revision scheduled for July 19, 2016

Well, I've had my last hydrocodone. This morning my knee hurt and since I was going out to lunch with friends, I took one, along with a couple of other regular daily medications. About 20 minutes later I felt very sick, lost my biscuit and coffee, and felt fine after that. Having a much better day than I've had in a long time, had a fun lunch out with six good friends, and then a 2 hour nap. I've never been good at taking this type of medication and apparently I've lost the tolerance I had built up. Hallaleujah!!

maryo52, I think I read where you at some point in time you had myofascial release. I had one massage last week where he did a combination of that (he was trained by John Barns) and does a gentle technique. What are your thoughts on this type of work at my stage of recovery (14 weeks)?
 
I just realized while I have been posting on others threads, I haven't been updating my own. Went to my GP the other day, and he gave me diazepan for sleep, and wants me to go to therapy for my depression and anxiety. I guess my health issues for the last two years have finally caught up with me and not wanting to be a whiner, I have never told my whole story on my thread. I'm not looking for sympathy, just more reassurance that there is light at the end of the tunnel. During the last two years, I have had a fractured pelvis which was non-weight bearing for 3 months. That was very painful but I did have a wheelchair and could pretty much take care of myself. Then a few months later I was hospitalized with a recurring bout of atrial fibrillation, all this going on while my husband was diagnosed with kidney cancer. I had pulmonary vein ablation for a-fib, in January of last year, my husband had partial nephrectomy In February, and in May we had a wonderful trip to Boston, where I walked and walked with no knee problems - a pub or 2 on every corner helped with that. Fast forward to October, I became very ill, and was hospitalized with pneumonia. Meanwhile the knee was starting up greatly affecting my quality of life. Then in December I had to have a generator and lead for my pacemaker replaced. All went fine, but I ended up back in hospital with double pneumonia, pleural effusion, and two arms that had become pincusions because my veins were not good. In the midst of all this I was having shots for me knee, and was sick with the pneumonia for the whole month of December. Finally, in February it was time for the TKR which had on Feb.20, did well for awhile, and I'm doing okay now except for this major depression. I just watched a video of a TKR, which I would not do before the surgery as I didn't really want to see what was goimg to be done, and I'm glad I did - it made me realize that with all the other stress my body has gone through, I'm doing just fine. I'm going to a Licensed Therapist on Thursday, so it will be good to talk to someone whose job it is to listen to me. Again, forgive me for whining and whinging, I'm just trying to be open and will take all the prayers and good wishes you can send my way.

Dorothy
 
I hope you get some relief soon. Sounds like you have a good plan. Yes, these health problems can really drag us down. My poor TKR recovery made me feel very unlike myself. Just be careful that diazepam is used short term (less than 4 weeks). I used a close cousin of diazepam for sleep and developed a physical tolerance that took months to resolve. : {
 
Turtle, ...you have had quite a challenge. I will send you those prayers and wishes right now.
 
@Mary052 - I've asked you previuosly what uo think about the myofascial release. What do you thinkuijhnb ? It has been frustrating for me because I don't seem to get response to tags? I have found someone who I think is very good with 30 years experience, He integrates it with several different methods including lymphatic therapy.
 
Trailspud, your good wishes and prayers are deeply appreciated. It helps so much to know that others care and understand.
 
Wow Dorothy you need a little extra TLC. You are right, you are always commenting on others but not telling us about you. You are not whining, you have been through a lot, you and your husband. We do need to get together and visit and we can pour our hearts out to each other.

I too was prescribed Diazepam. I have had things in my life that finally got to me and could not sleep and was very anxious. On the day of my TKR, my beloved dog Molly fell into the swimming pool and drowned just before we were leaving for the hospital. Recovery was much harder than I ever expected. I also watched the video of the TKR (afterwards) and I was glad that I did, what it did was, allowed me to give myself permission to take time to heal. I was able to see what my body had gone through. Although that was the last of my medical problems, still early in my recovery my grown kids moved back home with 4 dogs along with my remaining two dogs. Four adults and 6 dogs and trying to heal was very stressful, but my daughter was leaving her husband to get out of an abusive relationship and of course we welcomed her with open arms. My son was living with her and the abusive husband so he came home too. Pretty soon my husband became ill and I took him to the emergency room at St. Luke's and he did not come home for two months. He was as close to being gone as one can be and still be alive. He was out of work for 6 months. I was working part time at Fleet Feet. It was good in hind sight that I had the kids with me because we all helped each other when one of us was having an especially low day. Because of my TKR and my husbands illness is why we needed to sell our home and move into a one story. The stairs have always given me trouble (going down especially) and my husband had to learn how to walk again after being hospitalized for so long, on a ventilator for a month. I sat in the hospital everyday for two months and he most of the time never knew I was there. I spent my 60th birthday sitting in ICU in the medical center, not the special landmark birthday it should have been. So you see, it is all right for you to feel this way, and especially good that you have someone that you can go talk to. I talked to my doctor a lot and after turning down medications for a very long time for anxiety and and reactive depression, I finally gave in and took the RX's. It does help. I've never had a problem with the Diazepam, I just take it when I know that I will have trouble sleeping, not something I take every day, although when my husband was at his worst I did take it every day,

So please don't refer to yourself as a whiner or complainer, you have every right to feel the way that you do. But just getting out all of those words really helps. It helped me, having all the kind hearts here on Bonesmart when I was going through the worst times of my life. We really do care for each other and want you to tell us how you are feeling whenever you want to let us know.
 
I didn't have myofacial release. Even if I had, not sure that would've eliminated my proliferated scar tissue. But I would've loved any kind of massage when I went through my ROM saga, and actually ended up going weekly for massage just for the TLC factor.
 
Thank you Maryo52, I must have read it on someone else's thread. I really like this massage therapist and he does do a lot of on joint replacement patients, so I am going to make another appointment.
 
Bonnie, thank you for your kind words and I'm thinking about you as you get your results on the aspiration. Going to stop by and pick up one of the compression sleeves as well.

Dorothy
 
Bonnie, thank you for your kind words and I'm thinking about you as you get your results on the aspiration. Going to stop by and pick up one of the compression sleeves as well.

Dorothy

At the OS now...waiting of course! Come get that compression sleeve from me and I can make sure you get a discount. Measure the circumference of your quad at its biggest point because there are several sizes. I'll make sure we have your side and if not I'llhave it transferred from one of our other stores!
 
Thanks Bonnie. Are you working tomorrow? I have an appointment at 11 tomorrow and will pop in after that, probably about 12:15.
Dorothy
 
turtle68 Dorothy I will work from 10 am till 3 pm. Do you know where the store is? If you cross over Champion Forest Drive, you have gone too far. Just before the light with Papa John's Pizza next door. It will be great to meet you!!
 
Great, if I'm coming north it will be on the lefthqnd side right? AND I SO LOOK FORWQRD TO MEETING YOU.
 
Dorothy - you have had a terrible time. I hope things begin to get better now for you.
Don't forget that major surgery can leave you feeling very low just in itself. I found that, much to my surprise.
Going to someone you can sit and talk to will be a great help I'm sure.
It sounds like you've only just realized the great stresses your poor body has had to deal with in a relatively short space of time. That's what happens so often. You just have to carry on and then you pay the price. But what else could you have done?
Getting to grips with the aftermath of everything now is a very positive thing.
I wish you all the luck in the world.
 
Thank you Hopper. Things are looking up, the knee feels a lot better with the muscle tightness gone. I'm not usually a napper but for the last 3 days I have been doing almost nothing but resting and elevating with lots of dozing on and off, and I think that is helping the healing process. It's a good time to be doing that as summer has arrived in full force in Houston with heat and humidity. I was laughing this morning when I got up and was walking in my bare feet that I have developed some kind of callous on my left foot and it was the leg that hurt.

How are you doing? I know you are looking forward to the arrival, and I wish you a wonderful, relaxing visit with her.

Dorothy
 
Josephine Question re. icing. My right knee has lost almost all the numbness, and my right leg is very sensitive becoming more so as the day goes on to the point where icing actually hurts. My OS and I had discussed neurontin for this nerve pain but decided that the side effects outweighed the benefits, How long does this nerve regeneration go on? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a good thing. I'm also feeling aching in the area on the outside of my knee which was where I was bone on bone and was numb until recently. I've just been doing a gentle effleurage in the evening with lotion which seems to help. I was jut a little concerned about not being able to ice.
Dorothy
 
trailspud I am happy to report that I think finally the effects of the on the muscles from the Levaquin have been to wear off I've been good at resting for the last few days, not much else to do in the Houston heat, and that really seems to have helped. Thanks for all your prayers and good wishes. I have my first therapy session today so I can whine and whinge to someone who gets paid to listen. Have a great day and I hope your cycling is going well.

Dorothy
 
Dorothy, just read your message. I am stunned. I honestly had no idea of what you have been through/going through. How you can come over as so positive amazes me. I wish you the best outcome in the whole world with your therapy sessions. Please, please remember that I am hear to listen to you too. Only if you feel you want to, please let me know how your sessions go. xx Pat99
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom