TKR TS’s lopsided recovery'

That all sounds like a very worthwhile PT session, Tracey. I'm so glad they're taking a sensible approach to rehabbing your knee. After all the surgeries it's had, no one should expect it to make progress at the same speed as some other knees do.
I like their emphasis on function, because what you can do with your knee is far more important than a set of numbers.

Function is what is important to us, not numbers. When our pain restricts us enough, we have this surgery! We want to do what we could do years ago before our awful arthritis pain restricted us. That is function!

@traceys , Looking at your drawing with the circled pain area. I have pain in all,but it’s lesser on the medial side. The outer side though, wow it hurts. I’m so tired of it...
Glad to hear your pt seems very reasonable

I just read your thread and really feel for you. I hope your long-term disability comes through. Stress does not help our recovery. I was looking at your picture with the circles. I have swelling in the exact same place. Since my bout with tendinitis I have had swelling there that will not go away completely. Waiting in this recovery is the hardest part for me.

Today at physio I took my first steps with a cane. Starting bawling with pride :rotfl: What a dork I can be ... I played national level vball growing up and now I get emotional taking a “big girl step”
Hi tracyes,
Read your thread this morning. You have been through quite a range of ups and downs, probably beyond anything you ever imagined possible before your surgery. Many, of not most of us first-timers, have experienced the same thing. Honestly, I knew it would not be much fun (I had been told that a few times), but I had no idea just how much “not fun” it was really going to be.

Your comment about playing national level ball, then getting emotional about taking your first step with a cane really stood out when I read it. I had my Right TKR 34 days after my 79th birthday. I have been blessed with extremely good health all of my life. All of my Blood work is in range, even cholesterol. I’m “retired”, but still work out of my home office, and travel as required.

So, at 8:30 on the morning of December 10, I checked in at the front desk, an overly self-confident pillar of strength and optimism and bravado. At 12:15, I was an oversteamed carrot. I was totally dependent on everybody for everything. About the only difference from when I was born was that at least now, I could vocalize my desires. I came home on the second day, and for 4 days, my wife had do do everything for me, including lift my leg onto and off of the bed. The first time I was actually able to sit on the side of the bed and raise my leg onto the bed unassisted she said, “WOW, look at you getting into bed by yourself!” That sounds like things I remember saying to my children when they were 2 years old. I was a little sullen for a while.

In spite of generally good health, I have had a bad back all of my life. My knee exercises irritated that enough to drive me to my Chiropractor. There were 4 people in his waiting area with me that had TKR, 2 of them bi-lateral. They all encouraged me to hang in there. They had all been through the same cycles, all had the same “What the heck was I thinking? I should not have done this!” moments.

This will pass, and you will be you again. I can’t exactly say that from personal experience; I’m several weeks behind you. I’m told I am making very good progress. But when I’m thrashing my way through a sleepless night looking for that non-existent comfortable position, or rubbing my leg trying to alleviate that “tooth-achey” feeling, it doesn’t seem like progress. But if I clear my brain a bit, consider that on my first “heel slide” I had to struggle for 6 inches, that I can now walk with very little help from a cane even though my knee is still stiff and sore, I have to admit things really are getting better. Slowly unfortunately. (Patience is not one of my primary virtues.)

So keep moving traceys. One more thing to consider. Everybody is different and unique. Your experience will be unique to you. Apparently, the sleep problem is common to you and me, but one of the people I spoke to in my Chiropractors office said he had no problems whatsoever with sleep. I’m jealous.

Thanks @Denny39 - I have been thru some nasty surgeries incl one that put me in a wheelchair for 2mnths so I know what they are like. Where I struggle is the good day followed by 2-3 bad days that just really sink me emotionally. Talk about bursting my bubble!
:tiredwheel:

Last night was a brutal sleep attempt. Between doing a few more stretches at pt, no massage for a week and a week to go, did laundry for 2hrs and then some groceries and date night ...all on cane only.... my knee and my muscles were ticked!!! No meds taken either cuz I refused to try and get up at 330am and go find them downstairs!
:gaah:

It’s also so hard when I have a good friend who had her 2nd TKR exactly a month after me and she sends me “updates” on her progress. In short she is flying thru it, bending well but still dealing with all the pain. I have minimal pain (more daily discomfort) but no bend. We always want what we don’t have.

I had hoped to rest today buuuut nope. Tons of cooking as we hosted a tailgate party for the college football bowl games.
:martini:

I’m going on strike tomorrow!

Where I struggle is the good day followed by 2-3 bad days that just really sink me emotionally. Talk about bursting my bubble!
:tiredwheel:
So agree with this Tracey.Makes planning anything impossible! ‘Yes I’ll go out for a walk with you cus I’m feeling so much better. Just a little one mind cus I’m still recovering.’ The next day arrives and oh no somehow you’ve got a swollen leg again. Where did that come from? I haven’t done anything extra?
Hope you manage your “strike” !

@Denny39 didn't happen sadly but I did have help in kitchen and the boys handled all cleanup. I really need to teach them how to make all the tailgate foods they love!

@beachy still holding office today. Someone please impeach me!!!

Today is as bad as it’s been in a looong time. Can’t get my wind pants over the knee it’s so swollen. Thankfully we are now done all our holiday commitments and social events, and my mom is gone for a few days so I don’t have to care for her so I can turn my attention back to this spoiled brat of a knee.
:mcoffee:

Drugs, ice, Lounge Doctor and treats (@Larryhg3 theres a little platter set aside for you with some eggnog as requested)
Have a great New Years Eve everyone and talk “next year”!

Quick update..... just got my call from my insurance adjudicator about long term disability coverage which decided whether I could stay off work.......
:yes!::happydance::egypdance:

Covered until April 30 2019 and they are increasing my $$ as well.

I bawled :cry: when she told me everything.
She said that starting in February they will assign me an occupational therapist to start looking at my work situation with my employer and design a job function and modified hours. She said the medical committee said my case was extreme but they think I’m on the right track - just going down it veerrryyyyy slowly.

Then while having my tea and calming down I did all my scratch lottery tickets I got for Christmas and won $50! :rotfl:

Think I’m going to like 2019.

@traceys - Wow that's great you must be so relieved. Less stress so time to get that knee SORTED !
Looks promising for the New Year !

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom