TKR Trying to stay positive

Status
Not open for further replies.
In many ways, the mental game (love that way of putting it) is harder than the physical recovery. The physical recovery happens at its own pace, though we can help it along in evident ways like elevating and icing to reduce swelling, or doing helpful exercise. But our minds are even more "us" than our bodies somehow. We feel we should have more control -- except in recovery some mental facets are out of control.

Sleep is a big part of recovery and almost everyone has problems with it. You have such a great attitude toward this, too. Just roll with the punches, play on the iPad, occupy yourself and hope that you'll catch a nap at some point.

Instead of sleeping, my mind would get on certain storyline tracks... again and again. Like a crazy loop constantly replaying the same thing. One night it was what outfit to wear the next day... over and over and over. All night. It was enough to drive a sane person loony. But someone recovering from TKR is half-nuts anyway, I reckon. :heehee:
 
I am beginning to agree we must all be half nuts for having this done to us. Lol. I am thankful for iPads, thankful for a comfy recliner, and thankful that my helpful hubby was able to get a good nights sleep. And I am also thankful for BoneSmart, which let me know that sleeplessness, weariness, and tearful times are all normal. I know that measuring our rom shouldn't be a focus right now, but I sure hope mine is better this week. Sometimes an easily measured thing can lift our spirits.
 
This recovery is hard physically and I find it's really hard mentally. Just try to take it one hour at a time, it truly does get better.:console2:
 
This morning, my daughter and her husband donated 2 benches they made to the local elementary school. The benches have been installed on the 2 playgrounds and are called "Buddy Benches". The idea is that any child who's feeling "down"for whatever reason can go sit on the bench. Other kids can then recognize that one of their own needs some support, and they can go sit with their playmate to provide cheer, support, and encouragement. Got me thinking. BoneSmart is like a Buddy Bench for those of us who have had tkr. We post when we need an encouragement buddy, and everyone rallies around us.
 
What a wonderful donation your daughter and hubby made to the school - I love the "buddy bench" idea - and you are right , BS is like a Buddy Bench -- no matter what time of day or night there is generally someone on here who can listen and provide a little "pick me up" when we most need it.
 
I really like your Buddy Bench idea (and how great to have that available for kids to help each other!) ...BSBB..Bone Smart Buddy Bench! It truly does help to have someone sit on the bench with you by posting something kind and encouraging.
Sorry you had a rough night. Nights like that can sure take a toll...with the thinking and also how you feel the next day. I also had a hard night....every once in a while the pain meds make me edgy instead of sleepy and that happened. And I couldn't fall asleep. My thoughts were okay until it was time to get up and I felt raw and just ugh tired, and then the discouraging or fearful thoughts come. So I did a few little stretches, talked to a family member, ate and tried to get going....had plans to pay bills this am. Well, I started to feel sleepy and so I went back to bed! And I was able to sleep for over 2 hours and that turned things around. I can face the day better. And face the what have I done thoughts that can still come around like you've mentioned. Just recognizing it's a mental thing as well as physical as you did, put you in a better position I think. Here's to some encouraging thoughts and state of mind for you! And I wish for you a better night's sleep tonight.
 
Thank you buddies. I had planned in my head last night how I was going to increase by just a little what activity I do today. Instead, I am going to decrease my activity to see if I am just moving too fast too soon. I tend to think that just because I CAN, I SHOULD. And that is not necessarily right, esp in tkr. But I want to get back to my normal life and do all the things I want to do. Sometimes it is very hard to holding me back.
 
Your idea to decrease activity may be a good one. I've had a great deal of difficulty getting to sleep and remaining asleep, and sometimes do better when I've had a very quiet day. I can relate to @SusieShoes' story loops. That happens to me all the time.

Wishing you a good night's sleep tonight!
 
This morning, my daughter and her husband donated 2 benches they made to the local elementary school. The benches have been installed on the 2 playgrounds and are called "Buddy Benches". The idea is that any child who's feeling "down"for whatever reason can go sit on the bench. Other kids can then recognize that one of their own needs some support, and they can go sit with their playmate to provide cheer, support, and encouragement. Got me thinking. BoneSmart is like a Buddy Bench for those of us who have had tkr. We post when we need an encouragement buddy, and everyone rallies around us.
What a beautiful thought! Do you suppose you could post a photo of one of those benches with some children sitting on it talking? I think it would be a great visual to go along with your post.
 
I have heard about and have seen the Buddy Benches, and I think that they are a fantastic idea! So glad your daughter and her husband were able to do that!:flwrysmile:
 
@OJ2, Bonesmart really IS just one BIG Buddy Bench; love the concept and thanks for sharing it here!

Looking back from my now lofty perch of 17 weeks, I found lack of sleep, lack of independence and restraint to be the most difficult recovery challenges. The pain is managed well with medications and ice. Though I was fortunate to regain a fairly normal sleeping pattern at around 6-7 weeks post-op, it was certainly rough for awhile. It was definitely cranky-making; yikes! By Week 4, I was obsessed with driving again. I hated depending on hubs for all my transportation needs, despite him being more than happy to provide chauffeur services.

So, you've gone up the stairs, have excellent ROM for just 5 weeks post-op, have driven, and perhaps best of all, cut your own toenails! Huzzah! You've turned a recovery corner! And now comes the restraint piece. Yeah, it does. While we are mentally ready for *more* the body typically isn't at that point in time. We chafe to be back in our "normal lives," whatever they might consist of, but...the knee still rules. And it will for quite some time. It will most definitely let you know who's the boss over the next several weeks and your challenge will be to find the right balance of activity and rest. Remember, if you want to stay out of the ODIC, this is not a race to the finish line. Instead, it's all about the journey. :SUNsmile:

An occasional sleepless night may still occur, but hopefully less and less as time goes by. I never stayed in bed on those nights, just got up and read or surfed until the eyes closed. Tossing and turning is just aggravating and not conducive to falling back asleep, so not fighting it is where it's at. Just go with flow and it seems you are. Kudos!:yes!:
 
Got sleep last night, but only through the wonderful world of drugs. I took half an ambient after trying on my own. I now will keep cutting those little pills smaller and smaller until I can do without. I did use Benetton before surgery. I was hoping to be able to stay off them now, but I may need to use them again.
@Pheebs52 I think that is exactly where I am at. I had 2 days of walking a mile, but yesterday I cut back to 1/2 mile. I have 3 outings planned for today : PT, lunch with friends, and church small group. So I won't be doing anything else but icing. I need the social time, but this will be the first time I have 3 outings in a day. But tomorrow I have none, so I can ice and elevate most of the day.
Finding that balance of rest and activity is hard. I have a logical mind, so I am looking for a straightforward plan on increasing everything. I think my new knee may be more blessed with an free spirit side and not the logical side. It definitely has a mind of its own. I neglected to ask my surgeon to give me an implant that thinks like I do.
 
Yes, you are what is probably the hardest part of recovery, at least mentally and emotionally. You're still subject to your body's pace of healing, but feeling better to the point where it's easy -- and counter-productive -- to feel impatient. There's a temptation to think that if we just "work harder" or "push through this" we can get better a little faster... because we're almost there, right? The light at the end of the tunnel is in sight.

I just yip for joy when I see you're being wise, and balancing your activity against your need to rest and heal. This recovery is all about the long game, not pushing for a Hail Mary on the opening play. We really do need to Listen to the Knee.

Love that Buddy Bench idea! And yes, BoneSmart really is kind of like one. Have a seat and a buddy will come along to help. Just thinking about that makes a soul happy. :roseshwr:
 
Had PT today. Did not make any great strides in the measurement dept but the therapist is happy in what I report I can now do in ADL - going up stairs foot over foot, cutting my toe nails, etc. He says I get better rom when I do squats holding on to the band hanging from the ceiling than I do in heel slides on the table. He said I am doing great, and that helps my mind to feel more calm. He also said I still have swelling and that is keeping my rom down. So glad he recognizes that.
I told him that we could both become millionaires if he would only develop a cream that would erase the stiffness, tightness, and pain from having a tkr. I think I was being very generous when I said I would be happy to give him 60% of the profits and I would only take 40% for my wonderful idea and for being the test patient. He is a young man and I don't mind sharing my years of experience with him.
 
You are doing amazingly well, judging by what you can do.

One thing, though. Please don't do squats, unless they are just mini-squats, about the height you would bend when going to sit on a dining chair. Deep squats are bad for a new knee - they put a huge strain on those wounded tissues.
 
If your young PT ever develops that cream for Total Knee Replacement Relief, please let us know!
 
  • Like
Reactions: OJ2
Squats are a ADL, like you said, sitting in a chair. But of course, with everything we do in our rehab, we need to work smarter and not harder. Using the strap connected to the ceiling, I can control how fast/slow I go, how deep I go, control how much weight/pressure is on my knee by holding myself with my arms, and also help myself stand back up with my arms rather than putting a lot of pressure on my legs. I worked out for years before my tkr so my arms are a lot stronger than my legs right now.
I think squats are a lot more of an ADL than heel slides. I really can't think of anything I do in life where I lie on my back and slide my feet in towards my rear. But again, it is a controllled way of bending the knee.
 
What, you never give yourself a kick in the bum? LOL![emoji16]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I would post a pic of the bench but keep getting a message that my pic is too large. I would not send a pic of kids using it as I don't want to invade their privacy.
 
Can you download a smaller version @OJ2? It must be really large if all of us can fit on it.:wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom