TKR Trying to stay positive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had PT today. He massaged my knee a lot and it felt SO good. After I came home and iced the knee, I went up on the treadmill. I walked for 15 minutes, going only as fast as I felt I could, while maintaining a good gait. My knee felt the most normal it has since the surgery! Here's hoping week 5 is my turning point. I am also planning on being off oxy in another 3 days, so I can drive in week 6.
 
Best nights sleep in a long time and actually was able to be on each side for a short while. And when I got up, my gait was the normal one I felt yesterday. Still have some pain, but have decreased oxy by another 1/2 pill. Will keep up the Tylenol and icing today, but I am looking forward to a great day.
 
I just did what I consider mild exercises, including some walking for about 30 minutes. Then when I went to get ice, hubby remarked how well I looked while walking. I still have a tight band around the knee, but I can tell it is not as wide as before.
Yesterday at PT, the therapist had me sit on the table facing him. He was on a stool and started wrapping a strap around my foot. I was thinking "I am not going to like this" but was curious what he was going to do. He scooted up so my bent leg was against his leg. Then he put his hands around my knee and started massaging and stretching the back of my knee. It felt really good. I think he anchored the strap under his foot so I couldn't kick him. Hmmmm, maybe he knows me too well. But he can do what he thinks is best as long as it doesn't hurt me. I made it very clear from the beginning that I was not doing pain.
 
What an interesting way to do hammy stretches! I would go for that, I think. You say it felt good, so have at it. As your extension gets better, your gait will improve. At least, that's how it went with me. Walking became more "natural" and quite a pleasure.

It does sound as if you're turning that corner. It's the first great easing up of this recovery: less pain, more function, and... driving!
 
  • Like
Reactions: OJ2
Week 5 PT today. 105 flexion and 2 extension. Therapist said I am right on track, and to keep icing and keep moving. Did have an interesting time today. The therapy place I go to has a gym, and also does physical training. Today two NFL free agents were working out, so I think I can honestly say I have now worked out with NFL players.
 
Woo hoo! Things are looking up for you! Treadmill, walking upstairs (who cares about form at first? You go, girl!), some good sleep, and soon a return to driving! It cant hurt that you are also rubbing shoulders with NFL players! I'm so pleased that you are moving forward. Baby steps...and some big ones...walk on! :walking:
 
Therapist asked me to try coming off a step good leg first. I fell more than stepped. So he changed the step to a half-step. My first attempts weren't pretty, but after a few tries, it felt fairly comfortable, so I think that might be my next victory.
I hate being about the numbers, but this recovery is as much a mind game as it is actually healing. It helped my mind to know I am on track, which helps me to keep looking forward, and not dwelling on the present.
 
Coming off a step good leg first puts the job of keeping your body up on your "worse" knee. My PT in rehab (she was really good) explained that the good knee has the stronger quad. It's why we choose it to be the good knee (with bilaterals, we designate one knee as our "good" knee for things like stairs, using the cane, etc.), because it is already stronger. Eventually part of rehab is to work on getting that "worse" knee stronger.

One way I did it at home was to start going down single steps and curbs using my good knee first and letting the worse knee do the stabilizing. Same with going up, I'd start with the worse knee for that. It feels awkward at first. What eventually happens, though, is the quad does become stronger. I've learned to trust my worse knee now and use it more, and both knees have become much more stable when doing stairs.

Actually using the knee does wonders for gaining ROM and strength.
 
I cannot even imagine having two knees done at once. Most of how we move can be modified. I am happy to be able to move, I will encourage my body to do more, and I won't worry how I look. No one is watching me any way, and if they are, they will get a good laugh.
 
But he can do what he thinks is best as long as it doesn't hurt me. I made it very clear from the beginning that I was not doing pain.
That's all very well, but if he is going to do something different, as he did recently, he first needs to explain what he is going to do.
 
I agree. And, although when he touches me he always asks if I am ok, he really should ask BEFORE he touches me. I would rather he explain everything, telling me the reason for it and what the outcome is expected to be. I do ask a lot of questions, but for that particular thing, I was just so interested watching, I didn't say anything. I have had the same guy for 3 weeks now, and we have talked a lot and built a good relationship.
 
And, although when he touches me he always asks if I am ok, he really should ask BEFORE he touches me. I would rather he explain everything, telling me the reason for it and what the outcome is expected to be.
So, tell him that. Remember that you're the boss. He works for you, not the other way round. He has to please you, because you are the one who pays his salary, either directly or through your insurance.

In addition, it's your knee and you are the only one who has the right to say what will happen to it.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
My first knee is still my worse knee and I favor it on steps. I'm just starting to do what @SusieShoes said and force myself to use the weaker leg to help it get stronger. I think I've subconsciously been favoring this leg for years though. So old habits die hard. I found myself leading with my right, even immediately after the right TKR.
 
Yes, I am the one in control and I can tell him whatever I want. I choose to work with him, since he has earned my trust. I also believe I can control the atmosphere as we work together for my benefit. Since we have built a "relationship", and he answers all my questions, I am sure we will have great results. I definitely would have never stayed with him if I did not believe I could trust him. We are both a work in progress and always learning.
 
I get what you say about your PT. I had a similar relationship with my PT guy. He knew his stuff as far as the PT aspect goes, and I knew he would suggest things maybe not suitable for me, but I was also confident I was in charge. He'd answer my questions, address things I wanted to know more about, like how the quad functions and building up different parts of that muscle -- and if I said I wanted to work on something, he showed me ways to do that. We got along well and I trusted him. He never did persuade me to do leg presses, but I benefitted a lot from the other things we did.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OJ2
Cutting our toenails is a huge victory!!! I cried with frustration the first time I did it because I couldn't hardly reach my foot because it hurt so much. But it got better.
 
I try to celebrate EVERY victory, no matter how small, in order to keep my mind in the right place. So indulge me while I celebrate being able to cut my toenails this morning!!!
This just inspired me greatly. What a great thing to do, to CELEBRATE every victory! I too cut my toenails this past week and forgot to see it as a victory! I think I am going to start a Recovery Journal that is full of each and every victory and improvement. My attitude needs a tune up for sure. Thanks for the inspiration :loveshwr:
 
Two steps forward , one step back. For 5 weeks I have been sleeping pretty well, and rehabbing pretty well. Off all hard drugs. But last night, I just could not get to sleep. It wasn't so much the knee pain as it was my head just wouldn't shut down and I felt the tear start to come. I finally got out of bed, went in the living room, and played games on my iPad until 2:30 am and kept telling myself I really am ok. I drove for the first time yesterday, but won't drive today. Boy, this mental game can really get you down.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom