TKR Trying to stay positive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feeling pretty good today. Went to PT and flexion is up to 110, an increase of 3 degrees. I totally understand how we fake ourselves out with measurements, because an increase of 3 degrees flexion is like losing 1 pounds. We get so excited over something so insignificant. But I felt I needed the mental reassurance that I am moving toward the light at the end, slowly maybe, but moving nonetheless. And sometimes a mental boost is just what we need.
Last March, our trainer started a beginner boot camp for older people, at the request of my hubby. At 68, I am the youngest in the class. Many are in their 70s. Today I am going back to that class for the first time post surgery. I am not sure how much I will do, maybe nothing, but I will pace myself, and mostly ( maybe totally) do upper body. It will feel good to see friends and move some muscles that have been dormant. And if I get tired, I will just go sit down and watch. I am not out to set any records or impress anyone. I know I will get another mental boost by just watching. I am in control and I will listen to my knee.
 
Glad you had a good report at PT today. I totally understand wanting those numbers to go up, even though intellectually I know that the degrees are quite minuscule. The boot camp sounds like a positive step as long as you are careful not to overdo. Your plan to possibly just watch, but maybe join in as you feel up to it, is a good one.
 
Have fun at boot camp -- I know what you mean about getting back to something, seeing friends, and seeing how your body tolerates activity. I feel the same about spin class -- I am not pedaling hard or fast or with much resistance like the others and I leave early but it's nice to get back in the groove with some of our pre-surgery activities. Good for you for listening to the knee - and congrats on the 110.
 
Boot camp was great. The trainer made a lot of modifications for me because I obviously could not get down on the ground or on my knees. When others were down, I was sitting on a box. I used light weights and I rested during some of the exercises. It felt SO good to be tired from doing something instead of just being tired. Mr. Knee cooperated and did not complain. I promised to ice him as soon as I returned home, and I kept my word.
 
Great going @OJ2! You had a splendid plan and it worked.....always a plus!:SUNsmile:
 
@kmak81230 I haven't been to a spin class for several years. I might get start up again once Mr Knee is happy. I definitely want to get back on my outdoor bike. I am just so thrilled be able to start putting my life back together, while spending lots of time still icing of course.
 
I'm so glad the "boot camp" worked out well for you, OJ2.

You won't use weights on your legs, will you? Just on your arms, - right?
 
Sounds like boot camp was just what the doctor ordered, so to speak! Glad things are moving in a positive direction for you!
 
We didn't really use weights. We used the medicine balls-lifting them, throwing them, etc. i used the 10 pound ball ( the lightest one there) because I was just trying to get back into moving. I was usually standing or sitting. I did do some lunges, holding onto the strap from the ceiling, but anyone looking at me would probably question my lunge, since I barely moved. And I stood one leg in front of the other, while I bounced the ball on either side of me, to work on balance. But my trainer was pleased with what I did and encouraged me. He worked with me before surgery, so he knew the problems I was having with my knee then. A good trainer can work with whatever shape you are in, and find things you are capable of safely doing.
 
As I was lying in bed this am, my knee was aching and I thought I had done too much yesterday. But when I got up and walked around, all the achiness went away and I felt great. I think my knee was telling me he enjoyed the gentle movements and he is getting ready to take up his place in getting this old body moving again. I will spoil him with some movement today, but will also spoil him with my icing sessions. Today, my big activity is washing the sheets on our bed. I know everyone is jealous of my exciting life, but there you have it.
 
You know, to people in early recovery, nested in their bed or recliner or stretched out on a sofa, their knees wrapped in ice and their boredom off the charts... washing sheets sounds pretty darn good! :snork: To them, your sheet washing freedom is enviable. A goal.

I've noticed, like you, that even when my knees are a bit sore when I get out of bed, they settle down almost right away. They can be a tiny bit sore when I start out on a walk, and completely not sore by the end of the block. They work it out. It's a different kind of sore than the early recovery kind of sore. It's the sore of muscles that benefit from a little stretching out. I think it's a different stage of healing. The tissues are still healing, but they're much closer to being healed and are responding more like healthy knees.

Your lunges sound... interesting. I do some, too, now. Gently and carefully, but it feels good to combine balance with a little stretching.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OJ2
I try hard to rejoice in what I can do. A usual chore, like washing sheets, becomes a victory!
I am almost ashamed to call my little stance a lunge, but I know where I have come from. And I am a believer in doing what I can, and leaving the bigger moves for a later time.
I agree that our bodies are made to move. But during this recovery, it is very hard to judge how much we can or should do. I try to do as much as I can without overdoing things, but I am sure to make some mistakes. I am still spending a lot of time elevating and icing. The people on BoneSmart have been a lifeline. The connection to others who have been through this is invaluable, both for information and support.
 
Bed stripped and sheets washed. Check. Rest, elevate, and ice. Check. Trip to grocery store finished and groceries put away. Check. Rest, if, and elevate. Check. I am not sure I will do anything else today. Hubby will remake bed, and grill the chicken for dinner. I have done my part. Mr. knee did his part. Now we will rest together.
 
Going back to boot camp for you is like when I went back to bowling, great to be with friends doing something I enjoy, even with my limitations. My average in the league last year was 121 and the first time I bowled after surgery my score was a 70. I just did one game that first time. I am back to 3 games at this point and my average is 110. Getting there! I still can't do my normal approach to where I throw the ball but I hope to get there. And I have a very light ball compared to others.

Enjoy your triumphs!
 
We can only do what we can do, and anything is better than nothing. We all had to go through the nothing stage, and coming out of it is like coming out of a dark room.
 
Ok, went to the grocery store wearing my workout shorts and a large tee. Just realized 3 hours later that my shorts were on inside out, with a large white tag hanging from the side. And I haven't had any hard drugs for 10 days! But it is good to laugh.
 
As I was lying in bed this am, my knee was aching and I thought I had done too much yesterday. But when I got up and walked around, all the achiness went away and I felt great.
Funny thing how I noticed the same thing. When I was non weight-bearing for around 5-6 weeks because of my ankle break, my new knee yelled. Of course, part of it was my falling directly on it, but later on, I believe it was because of its not being used. Once I could move my knee while sitting in a chair without my ankle screaming, it started to feel some better. Once I started walking it got better! These new knees want to walk!
 
Your post about wearing your shorts inside out made me laugh out loud because about 6 or 7 weeks post op I went to my granddaughter's field hockey game. Once there I realized I had my leggings on inside out. I was trying to figure out how I could fix them but decided that the trip back across the field to my car and then trying some contortions in the car to get them off and back on discreetly would be the end of me and my TKR. So I did the next best thing.......laughed about it to myself and everyone around me and blamed brain fog!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom