TKR Trying to stay positive

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Canada35 I am glad I am not alone. I told my grandsons about having my shorts on inside out. They got a good laugh. Then the 8 year old told me that it was ok because I had surgery on my knee and I am still recovering, and that he would not have been embarrassed to be with me with my pants on wrong. Such a sweet boy.
Up late tonight because I just can't sleep. Knee doesn't bother me, my body is just awake. Seems the only thing that helps is ambient. I tried Benadryl and melatonin tonight but here I am, wide awake at 1 am. I don't want to keep taking the ambient, but I also need my sleep. I am no longer sleeping during the day. Rather frustrating.
 
That’s fabulous @OJ2 and certainly doesn’t seem like the “scenic route,” to me! In fact, I’d say it’s the freeway!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am really excited now. First the bike. Then this afternoon, I went out to get the mail. We have 3 steps outside our front door. I decided to see if I could go down new knee first, and I did it!! Turns out the riser heights are a bit shorter than on the indoor stairs. I am celebrating today!!!
 
This is a true Kneerah! Day for you! Congrats on the bike and the stairs.
 
I can't believe how I messed that up. I went down GOOD knee first, so that my new knee had to bend and hold my weight, and nothing even hurt. I did hold on the the railing like crazy, but that is because I am just a safety conscious person, or so I tell myself.
 
@OJ2, I knew what you meant! :heehee: I've been struggling with going downstairs for so long, too. We all speak "knee" here.

Most of my family is left-handed, and many of us mess up verbal directions. We cut each other a lot of slack in that department, and our standard reply is, "I meant the other left."
 
Just called and got an appt on Friday with my gp to discuss sleeping issues. I slept well until I weaned off the oxy. I have been taking half an ambien , but my supply is dwindling. I don't want to become addicted and I don't want to have to face the weekend with no sleep. Tried Benadryl and melatonin but neither worked for me. I know we all talk about the problem Has anyone found a solution? If I get sleep, I can face anything. With no sleep, I become a sniffling little baby.
 
If you have any Flexeril, the muscle relaxant, lying around... that always puts me to sleep. I have it on hand for my occasional back pain (or the back-shoulder thing I'm currently battling). Could mention it to your doctor.

Sleep was the final piece of recovery for me. I didn't get my regular sleep pattern back, or sleep through the night, until mid 3rd month. I still sometimes wake up having to change positions, but go right back to sleep.

I hope your doctor can prescribe a little something to give you a restful sleep!
 
Thanks for the idea. I don't think my non-sleep is because of pain. I feel relaxed and clear minded, I just can't sleep. And of course,then I start worrying about not getting to sleep and I get teary eyed and discouraged. I am not a daytime napper, but I did enjoy lots of naps while taking the Oxy. But I would be fine awake all day now if I could only sleep at night. And once I fall asleep with the ambien, I sleep for about 6 or 7 hours. Would prefer another hour or two but I can deal with 6 or 7.
 
Also trying heating pad on the tight, numbness on the outer side of my knee. I feel my whole body thermometer is a mess with the heat and all the ice. But I will try almost anything.
 
So sorry the sleep continues to be such an issue. Some have also tried listening to meditative sounds - I believe if you Google 174hz on YouTube there are lots of choices. I know that I was not having good sleep until about the 10-12 week mark and even then would have a bad night now and then. For me, worrying about lack of sleep made it worse -- easier said than done I know - and I was not very successful with the Benedryl either. I had to stop the phone and tablet at night as I think the lighting was making it harder to sleep. Hang in there . . .
 
Just called and got an appt on Friday with my gp to discuss sleeping issues. I slept well until I weaned off the oxy. I have been taking half an ambien , but my supply is dwindling. I don't want to become addicted and I don't want to have to face the weekend with no sleep. Tried Benadryl and melatonin but neither worked for me. I know we all talk about the problem Has anyone found a solution? If I get sleep, I can face anything. With no sleep, I become a sniffling little baby.



Have you tried l-theanine. Really helps me.good luck
 
A Yanni CD always works for me. Usually out by the second track. If that doesn't work National Geografic Channel or the Science Channel will put me out too. Not loud just audible enough to have noise in the background.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom