TKR Trying to stay positive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your hints. I have been pushing my knee into the bed while lying down because it just felt good, stretching out everything on the back of the leg. I also heel slide when in the "loo"just because there is tile there, and therefore I can measure my flexion by where my foot is in relation to the grout lines. So I know I am improving by my own makeshift measuring. My dr had warned me that lots of time we lift our hips in order to get more flexion, so I try not to do that. I really am not worried at all about the extension. And since I continually feel improvement in the flexion, I am not worried about that either. Every small improvement is celebrated. I have now slept for small amounts of time on each side. And I laid on my stomach at PT this morning so he could massage my calves. I try to celebrate every new "first" and I know I am driving my family crazy. but they have all driven me crazy at some time or another, so it is all fair.
 
@Polkadot thanks for the drug info. I am taking the Tylenol (2- 500 mg ) every 6 hours. It seems to control most of the pain. I know we are all different in how we perceive pain, and I feel I can deal with achiness right now, as long as I have ice. I learn a lot from others on this forum, and I appreciate everyone's input.
 
Hey, you are right up there with the 'greats' in doing loo heel slides! Dame Judi Dench highly recommends them. You can see her talk on YouTube about her experiences with knee replacement. Search her name and knee replacement.
 
Yes, welcome to the "Throne Sliders" club! I also used to measure my knee's progress when sitting on the loo.
Actually that was the only time I ever did heel slides.
 
Just took my ice wrap off for a bathroom trip, and noticed that while my leg below the knee was very cold to the touch, the leg above the knee was room temp. I am assuming this means my leg above the joint is still putting out heat that counteracts the cold, and I therefore should keep icing as much as possible. I also move the ice wrap a little higher on my leg.
 
You can ice the front and the back of your knee. If you see an especially swollen spot, then ice that.
 
Good for you! We need to celebrate our victories however small they might be. It helps add another dimension to days that can somehow all look the same otherwise! You are doing really well for 1 month out!
 
Feeling better today. The nausea is down. The calves are less painful. I called my trainer and he told me to put heat on the calves, walk some, and then ice the calves. So I did that twice yesterday and will do it again today. The calf pain was definitely worse than the knee pain.
Slept pretty well last night. Woke up around 1, but refused to let myself get up. Fell back to sleep until 5, when I did let myself get up.
Went out last night for a quick dinner with the grandkids. I was able to elevate my leg, but still was uncomfortable after about an hour. Hubby is a talker, so I now have to train him that when I say it is time to go, I mean NOW. Lol.
I think I will continue with taking the oxy 1/2 pill twice a day since I am doing well. Hate to upset the apple cart. I am almost done with the meloxicam. Dr said only take for first 4 weeks after surgery. I am not on any regular prescriptions and do not like to take meds, so every one I get off of is a small victory.
 
Taking lots of pills is a pain in the... everything. Good for you in that small victory! Weaning slowly off the oxy is smart. Does the heat on the calves make for better walking? I can see where it might, by relaxing the muscles. Anything that can make it easier to get in the gentle exercising that walking (or biking) provides is a good strategy!

Good luck with the talky husband. They're notoriously hard to retrain. :yes:
 
Yes @ susieshoes, the heat helps. So my routine today (I am a person who does best with plans and lists) will be : heat on calves while I eat breakfast, exercise, ice on calves and knee. Then I will repeat at lunchtime.
I just read that one of the side effects of meloxicam is nausea and here I was, blaming it all on the oxy!
I did 2-10 minute walks on the treadmill yesterday. I actually got up to 1.1 mph, concentrating on a natural gait. I think I will stay at 10 minutes again today, and then maybe go to 12 tomorrow. The sore calves caused a big bump in my recovery road, and I would rather have no more.
 
I found that sitting in a restaurant for more than an hour was a big no-no for a while. My DH is NOT a talker, but he is so polite and attentive that it's hard for him to break away when people are still sharing. So I can relate! After a few uncomfortable occasions, we got so we told whomever we were meeting right up front that "we" could last for about an hour and no more. Our companions would often ask around the hour mark if we were up to staying a few more minutes, or if we needed to wind things up.
 
@Polkadot sounds good. I have always had trouble pulling hubby away. It used to upset me, but then I realized that he needs this socialization. I, on the other hand, need quiet. Hopefully we can work this out where I get to control our outings now, but will give the power back to him in a few month. We have only been married 46 years. Lol.
 
After not being excited about food for 4'weeks, I told hubby this am that I would like a muffin from Panera! When he returns with the muffins, we will go on the screened porch with a cup of tea and a muffin. A nice change of pace for me! And I have a great foot rest there.
 
Sounds great! Panera is one of the places where I could first get comfortable "out," as well. Enjoy your muffin!
 
Enjoy your muffins and tea with your feet up! I also told friends up front especially early on that I was good for about an hour and then it was easier to bow out and get home to ice and elevate.
 
Shouting Hallelujah!!!! My treadmill is upstairs. This morning when I went to walk my 10 minutes, I had to go one step at a time, but I lifted my operated leg as high as I could before I put it down next to my good foot. This afternoon, I went to do the same thing, and I noticed my operated foot actually went high enough to get to the next step! I screamed and called hubby to come celebrate with me. (Yea, he thinks I am nuts, but he sticks with me anyways.) So I went up the whole way, looking sort of like an awkward normal person, but I did it!
 
Yay! That calls for a celebration! Only someone who has been where you are knows how much these things mean to us. They might seem little to most people, but they are huge to us!
 
  • Like
Reactions: OJ2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom