Guest viewing is limited

Trying to not chicken out this time, any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joeski, your post to Josephine and your new signature brought tears to my eyes. I'm so happy that you were able to find the courage to do it.
Hi Drbabs, It's strange it's like I have been brain washed. :heehee: My son just read through the whole thread and asks me why I didn't listen to him about it being a do-able procedure. He worked in a grocery store for 7 years and met many customers who had hip & knee replacements and I think all of them told him to tell me to do it. I never ran in to his customers to talk to so I never got any boost of confidence like here where people from around the world are posting and they went through or will be going through it shortly.
 
Joeski, I know, isn't this forum amazing? 7 years, wow, that is a long time. The recovery is challenging, but we're all here for you, and every day gets a little better. Spending a few months recovering beats suffering for 7 years, don't you think?
 
Joeski, I know, isn't this forum amazing? 7 years, wow, that is a long time. The recovery is challenging, but we're all here for you, and every day gets a little better. Spending a few months recovering beats suffering for 7 years, don't you think?
Oh yes, that's for sure. I can't go back in time but if I ever meet anyone needing a hip replacement & they tell me they will delay they will get a rant out of me.
 
Did all you hippies have a lack of sleep when your hip really started to hurt? I am exhausted but can't get any decent sleep because I think my hip pain keeps waking me up. I also can't work at anything for to long without getting really tired. Is that normal?
Thanks again.
 
Yes, I think once you make the decision, the disability you've been fighting comes crashing at you. I've been taking Benadryl at night to sleep and it helps a lot-- in fact I forgot it last night and was up most of the night. You know, I just remembered something. Before surgery, I bought the book "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster" by Peggy Huddleston. I think it helped me focus on the positive outcome I was expecting, rather than my fears about the surgery and its aftermath. Here's a link to the book on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Prepare-Surgery-Heal-Faster-Techniques/dp/0964575744?tag=ate362da-20
And here's her website: https://www.healfaster.com/
 
Yes, I think once you make the decision, the disability you've been fighting comes crashing at you. I've been taking Benadryl at night to sleep and it helps a lot-- in fact I forgot it last night and was up most of the night. You know, I just remembered something. Before surgery, I bought the book "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster" by Peggy Huddleston. I think it helped me focus on the positive outcome I was expecting, rather than my fears about the surgery and its aftermath. Here's a link to the book on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Prepare-Surgery-Heal-Faster-Techniques/dp/0964575744?tag=ate362da-20
And here's her website: https://www.healfaster.com/
Thanks BarbaraR! This has really come crashing at me. So much so I was put on short term disability. I can't really wake up before 4 PM and then can't get to sleep to about 4, 5 or 6 AM the next day. I don't know why my day/night shifted like that. I also have almost no energy to do anything. I'll be ordering that book shortly.
 
Joeski please go ahead with the surgery. You will not regret it. I'm just 6 days post op and I do not regret my decision in the least. The post op pain is nothing compared to the bone on bone grinding. Bonesmart will be with you every step of the way. Keep busy, don't listen to any uninformed opinions and keep coming back, you can do this. When I woke up in recovery, the first thought that came into my head was "thank God, I have a new hip" you can feel that also.
 
Joeski please go ahead with the surgery. You will not regret it. I'm just 6 days post op and I do not regret my decision in the least. The post op pain is nothing compared to the bone on bone grinding. Bonesmart will be with you every step of the way. Keep busy, don't listen to any uninformed opinions and keep coming back, you can do this. When I woke up in recovery, the first thought that came into my head was "thank God, I have a new hip" you can feel that also.
Hello designergirl, I had read your pre-op thread and am reading your recovery one as well. I hope you continue to get better & better & better.
A big thank you for your post which gave me more encouragement to get this done. The more positive posts the easier it will be.
 
Hi joe, had my THR today & can honestly say the anticipation & preop nerves were worse than the surgery. I had spinal with sedation and slept through the whole thing. Also after I saw the anaethetist he charted me some kind of sedative which helped with the nerves & I actually fell asleep.
 
Hi Joeski!
I can only go by my experience, and I have to say it was awesome. I had been limping for a few months thinking it was sciatica. My sister had RHR last year and when she heard me describe the burning groin pain..she knew!! My Mri made my GP send me to OS and he said I needed hip replacement. After seeing my sister, who is going to be 70 this year, bounce back so quickly, I didn't think about it. I saw the OS in January and had my LHR on Feb 4th. I didn't hesitate. Everyone goes into the hospital with jittery nerves..I had never had an operation before so I was new to the whole experience. They will give you valium prior to going into the prep room..it calms you down and its smooth sailing from there. When I woke up they were wheeling me to my room with my son and my sister chatting to me the whole trip! I was pampered and taken care of for 3 nights..the staff couldn't have been nicer. If you feel pain, they will give you meds to get rid of it. I can honestly say I haven't had any pain more than 2 since being home. I get achy and sore from overuse...but I am doing things painfree that I couldn't think of doing..and I live alone!! I've taken care of my house and pets by myself since Day 5 at home..and I listened to the good people on here with advice on meds , icing and elevating. My Dr. is 37 years old and did 4 procedures that day..you are 10 years younger than me..I was his youngest that day. You are going to be so glad you made this decision. Pain can run your life..don't allow it to. Think of all the things you miss doing and each day after surgery is a day closer to having your life back!! I am looking forward to reading your post on March 21..yes..you'll be typing and we'll be reading these posts the day after your surgery! Do it for yourself...
 
:goodpost:acbelmar I also live alone, so stayed in the hospital 3 nights instead of 2. Like you, I felt so pampered and cared for while in the hospital, and the pain was never bad---never anything compared to what I was feeling pre-op with every bone on bone step. Surgery on Tuesday, home on Friday, driving on Tuesday.

Joeski is going to do great, and just wait and see who's yelling "JUST DO IT!" to newcomers who are hesitant in the future:loll:
 
wow...encouraging words....I am a single Mom with three kids and three dogs...was thinking I wanted to be home after one or two days...maybe not? Do not get a lot of help from my kids...and my other kids (dogs) will want my TLC too..
 
You might want to make some other arrangements for a week or two if you can. Not that you couldn't do it, but then you wouldn't be tempted to fall back into old habits of trying to take care of everyone.
 
Mamarey, honey you need to milk this for all it's worth. Three regular kids and three fur-kids, too? If you can stay in the hospital three nights and then, as Jamie suggests, get some help for a week or two, you'd be way ahead of the game. You do not want to overdo it. You will need to nap frequently.

Assuming you're having the direct anterior approach? That does make those early days and weeks easier, but it doesn't change the fact that this is major surgery and you need time to heal.
 
Mamarey, how old are your kids? I have no kids at home and no pets, and the first week was really challenging. Can your kids step up and help you? At least can they take care of the dogs? My sister came for a few days after I got out of the hospital-- basically she made me laugh-- and it really helped my husband to have someone else around the house so he could get out. Maybe you can get a family member or friend to come stay with you for a few days?

sissy46, you are so great. I love how you tell it like it is.
 
Joeski..I forgot you mentioned the catheter. They put it in while I was under and took it out before I woke up. I was surprised when I had to use that darn bedpan but the nurse told me they took it out so not to risk infection..so you may not even have that to worry about!!Mamarey..my sister stayed with me for 5 days...it was helpful because she reminded me to get up every hour and walk a few laps around the house! She took care of my animals..1 dog, 2 cats and 3 birds..but I helped. When she left I had a hard time with the birds because they are so messy..trying to keep their room clean..but my furry friends gave me wonderful company!! The biggest thing is keeping them from jumping on you and hurting your sore spots!!
 
Yes, my three dogs love to follow me everywhere and be on my bed with me. They will be a wonderful comfort, but it will be difficult not being able to pick them up, and my Little Annie pounces on me sometimes. My children are 22, 21 and 19 next week....they WILL have to step up to the plate. They are so used to seeing me strong and fearless and the workout queen. I have to learn to reach out and ask for help, not an easy thing for me, because I have been doing it on my own for so long. So thankful for the understanding and support on this site. Only someone going through this understands.
 
Joeski, regarding the catheter. They left mine in until 0600 the next morning. I was anxious about the removal but it didn't hurt at all and it was nice that I didn't have to use the bedpan that first night. By the next morning, I had no problem getting up to the bathroom.

I'm sure you've noticed that there are lots of variations on all these themes. Some docs give an oral blood thinner instead of the little injections. Some want no weight bearing, some want partial, some (like mine) okay total weight bearing from Day One.

Some of what they order will be based on their preferences, some on your physical condition.

Two weeks from today, your recovery starts. Two weeks from tomorrow, you'll be walking around on your new hip:yes!: Just think of all the things you'll be able to do again, pain free:spin:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom