Guest viewing is limited

Trying to not chicken out this time, any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there was no medications that help beforehand. So it was amazing to talk to the anesthesiologist and the wake up to a nurse calling my name! Warm blankets and knowing I was asleep for 4 hours!! I didn't feel, hear or remember a thing prior to talking with the anesthesiologist! So cool!
I am getting more confident about doing this with everybody's posts. Well that's good to know about the not feeling, hearing or remembering anything. For some reason I thought it can't be since the meds beforhand don't help as much as I wish they would.
Thank you.
 
Although I am a woman...I was afraid of the catheter also...very much so. I know the experience is different though. lol
 
Yes, you will sleep through it!:sleep: :sleep: They can do it without you knowing a thing; they won't be needing you to hand instruments or give instructions. You will sleep through it, and when you wake up, Yahooo! you'll have your new hip. And you are going to get some really good drugs after. You'll probably have patient controlled analgesia (PCA) where you push a button to deliver morphine---push it every chance you get, which I think is about every 10 minutes. And if that isn't enough, they'll give something else, too.
Thank you sissy46 One creep of a coworker told me its possible that I won't be sleeping through it. He never had any thing operated on him to say that with knowledge but it was enough to scare me.

Honestly, I did not have much pain at all after, and the pain meds didn't bother me in any way. You're probably having bone-on-bone pain right now, and the post-op pain is not like that. Josephine has said nothing really takes away that bone-on-bone pain, but the post-op pain is manageable and gets better every day.
Yes I have bone on bone pain. Way back in 2005 it was bone on bone but somehow I delayed & delayed. Josephine is so right. I guess if I look at this as going over a mountain I am almost at the top. I'll reach the top on the 20th of March and will be ready to sort of cruise with some bumps I bet down to a pain free valley.

Thank you again sissy46.
 
Will it help any to hear from people 20 or so years older than you who have done just fine? Here is one of them. The surgery itself is a piece of cake. I knew nothing from the time they told me to lean over so they could put in the spinal until being in my room. I had some pain, but nothing I couldn't stand. The only strong sensation I had was hunger.

Being a natural born coward, I didn't watch a video. Besides being a coward, I'm a huge pain wimp (which is why I had the surgery to start with). I'm glad I did it. Unlike some, I'm not 100% yet, but the operated on hip is so much better than the other one now and I know it will keep improving. I'll need the other hip done sometime and won't be scared to have it replaced. I had no restrictions other than "if it hurts, don't do it" -- which has pretty much been my motto forever! As young as you are, your life will be so much better without the pain.
 
I just read your last post. Don't know about everyone, but I had to stop all pain meds about that time.
 
I had to stop NSAIDs two weeks before surgery. I could take tylenol. Your surgeon will tell you exactly what you can and cannot take, and they each seem to have their own preferences.
I'm with Cookie42. If my other hip gets to bothering me, I'll get that sucker replaced. Enough of pain!
 
Hi Joeski. Here's the thing. The moment you arrive at the hospital, the system just takes over. They keep you busy with all the pre-op protocols. Very quickly they'll have you hooked up to an IV, and if you want something for the anxiety, discuss it with your doctor so he can order something for you right away. I remember being totally relaxed both times. I had general anesthesia....did not feel a thing. I can remember them starting to wheel my gurney to the OR....I was out before I ever got into the hallway! I know I woke up in recovery....but I don't remember it.

Once awake in my room, I was so happy to be done. Pain was well-controlled, and I took great pride in my first ventures out of bed.

Catheter? Mine was put in after I was knocked out, and removed before I came to. So nothing to fear there. Discuss it with your surgeon.

Just do it. Really.

Sharon
 
Joeski,

So glad that you and your wife found Bonesmart and decided to tell us a bit about yourself. I'm guessing your wife suggested you connect with others that have gone through hip replacement. I'm glad you are here and know that you will find a ton of info (without the gory details) and find a safe environment to share your concerns in a non-judgemental place.

Just know that everyone gets to the decision to move forward with the surgery in their own time. Some are a mere few months and others can be years like yourself. When you've reached the point when the pain takes over its time to find a solution that is proven to make a significant difference in your quality of life. This procedure is proven and is commonly performed these days. Age has little or no impact. Everyone's circumstances are different. There are lots of threads to read if you are up to it with a lot of positive outcomes.

As Sharon mentioned, you'll be going through a process that is well planned out and you'll be dealing with professionals that do this every day. You need to let people know your fears so they can help you put them in perspective rather than let it 'cripple' you. Your pre-op appointment is a perfect opportunity to discuss your fears and find viable solutions that can help you be ready to get on the other side of this pain and get back to the business of the rest of your painfree life. Make sure you are comfortable expressing your concerns with your doctor -- be prepared and ask lots of questions. Don't let anyone brush you off. Try not to get too wrapped up in the details but don't go in with blinders on. The surgery is a means to a better end. You will go through your share of healing pain, but it is totally diferent than what you're dealing with now and there's a definitive end.

I had spinal anesthesia for the first time and once that part started and I laid back down and the oxygen mask in place I was down for the count. Don't remember a thing, didn't hear anything until I woke up in recovery. It was also the first time I ever had a catheter and it was put in after I was asleep. It stayed in until the next day and didn't feel it even when they took it out. Quite uneventful.

Waiting is probably going to be a challenge but with so many here that have gone through what you're about to embark, we all made it through fine. Try not to listen to suggestions from those co-workers that I'm guessing haven't had a hip replacement. Focus on the things you have control of like getting everything prepared for your recovery at home and the rest will fall in place.

Best of luck on your journey!
 
Joeski... I have added you to the March list.. You can see who your surgical buddies are... 20 March will come around quickly. I look forward to following your recovery journey :)
 
Hi Joe -
Not sure what I can add that others haven't already, but I have to say I was fairly worried before the surgery. I think when I was told I would need a hip replacement I tried to find other alternatives and I cried. I could have waited longer, I suppose, but I decided I wanted my life back. We are about the same age, and like you, I like to be active. I love to go hiking and biking. By the time my surgery rolled around I could do neither. Now I am three and a half months out from surgery and I have started light hiking and spin class. Trust me you will be so happy once you have it done.
Good luck!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Trying to not chicken out this time, any help?
and
[Bonesmart.org] Trying to not chicken out this time, any help?


You can do this, Joe. You will definitely sleep through the entire surgery--not know or feel a thing. When you wake up, surgical pain will be controlled by medication---but the pain you have now will be gone and you will know that it is gone. Whatever aches and pains you have to deal with from the surgery will be nothing compared to what you have now---and they will resolve themselves and be gone in a matter of weeks.

List of activities and abilities Click on the link and download the PDF file and print it out. Then fill it out and see how much you are no longer able to do and think about how it's impacting your life. Then there's that garden you mentioned.

You can't want to end up in a wheelchair as a semi-invalid----that's no kind of life at all for a young man like you. You can do this. I believe in you.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Trying to not chicken out this time, any help?
Thank you so much bottomshollow.

Thanks for the reassurance that I will sleep through the surgery. I am amazed that the anesthesia is so good and works so well. And to be getting free of pain in weeks is really sounding great. My wife & son are going to Disney World on April 20th. I backed out because I wasn't sure if I would have the operation and didn't want to be a party pooper the whole vacation. Well I'm starting to feel like I might be able to do all the rehab the best I can and hopefully be healthy enough to get a last minute flight and have a nice time.

Just taking a quick look at the list, I see I've really let myself get into a sad state. I never looked at it like that. There is so much on that list that I cannot do. Pretty much everything on the list is "a," I can't do easily at all. I'm having my son print that out for me so I can compare now versus 19 days after my RTHR. Then I'll compare a month out, 2 months, 3, 4, 6, 9 then 12.
 
That is a good plan... Compare with your own benchmarks of recovery.. Often we might be tempted to compare our recovery rate with our surgical buddies and get disappointed ... So well done you.. And here's hoping you get that trip to Disney :)
 
Joeski, I am thrilled that you are now looking beyond the surgery at what you'll be able to do with that shiny new pain free hip. Thank goodness your surgery date is soon! I'm excited for you, looking forward to your new hip and new life.

I'm curious about your name "Joeski." Are you an Alpine skier? Cross country skier? Water skier? Besides gardening, what other things have you given up because they were too painful? Because those are the things you can look forward to doing again.

I couldn't walk half a block before my surgery; felt like a spike going through my hip with every step. I'm 5 months post-op this week, and I'm going hiking later this morning. Went kayaking two days ago. I got my life back, and so will you. My new hip is something I only think about with wonder and gratitude.

Thanks for letting us BoneSmarties share your journey with you.
 
Joe,
isn't it about time you changed the line in your signature?
maybe something like:
"Can't wait for my new active life to start March 20th! :yay: "
 
When you did put it off did you notice your getting sleep became harder & harder? I am constantly exhausted & that is with taking 250 mg of Nuvigil, lots of coffee and or espresso. I can barely stay asleep 3 to 4 hours before I wake up most likely from a jolt of pain in my right leg.

I put it off also, not as long as you did, but nevertheless I put of the THR. Now I am 5 weeks post op and it is the BEST thing I did! I am not planning on having the other one or a knee done during the summer. It is so nice to be pain free in that hip!!!
 
Joeski, I am thrilled that you are now looking beyond the surgery at what you'll be able to do with that shiny new pain free hip. Thank goodness your surgery date is soon! I'm excited for you, looking forward to your new hip and new life.
Hi sissy46, Last night for once I actually wish the date was here. Now that is weird for me. Now today I do still feel nervous because it's not a small thing but nothing like I have in the past.


I'm curious about your name "Joeski." Are you an Alpine skier? Cross country skier? Water skier? Besides gardening, what other things have you given up because they were too painful? Because those are the things you can look forward to doing again.
I'll send you a PM. It's the last 3 letters of my last name. I can't ski. I did try a long time ago but I am a snowmobile type of guy.

I couldn't walk half a block before my surgery; felt like a spike going through my hip with every step. I'm 5 months post-op this week, and I'm going hiking later this morning. Went kayaking two days ago. I got my life back, and so will you. My new hip is something I only think about with wonder and gratitude. Thanks for letting us BoneSmarties share your journey with you.
Wow that had to be no fun. I can't wait to be "human Joe" again instead of crippled Joe. Your welcome, I'm so glad I found this site!
 
Joeski When I did put it off... It affected my sleep nightly! I was in so much pain that it woke me up every hour! I could no longer sleep on the bad hip side! I used a cane and limped around! I could not even walk a half of a block! My hip is pain free ! I love it! I wish I did it long ago. My hip Hirt for about 4 years... But it went from bad to worse practically overnight! You will be so glad you did it! Besides my gallbladder, which was laparoscopy, this was the most intense surgery I had! And it truthfully, was a piece of cake foe me!!!
 
Mbone, thank you so much for letting me know that.
Joeski When I did put it off... It affected my sleep nightly! I was in so much pain that it woke me up every hour! I could no longer sleep on the bad hip side! I used a cane and limped around! I could not even walk a half of a block! My hip is pain free ! I love it! I wish I did it long ago. My hip Hirt for about 4 years... But it went from bad to worse practically overnight! You will be so glad you did it! Besides my gallbladder, which was laparoscopy, this was the most intense surgery I had! And it truthfully, was a piece of cake foe me!!!
Mbone, thank you so much for letting me know that. I guess we can sort of ignore the pain while awake but just a little. But when we are sleeping our bodies go in to automatic mode & it's not going to let you ignore it by waking us up a whole bunch of times every night to tell us fix me or I'm not going to be able to sleep.

I had minor surgeries, a deviated septum, a lump the size of a pea in my ring finger & a torn minicus in my right knee from me walking poorly because of the hip. This is intense so that is why I was so scared along with the other couple of things.
 
I'm 2 weeks post and I had surgery on both hips. Best thing I could have ever done. Do it, do it, do it. You will not regret it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom