Knitter4444
BoneSmart Staff
Oh my gosh..the post op discomfort is nothing like the pre op bone crunching pain. Be good to yourself..talk to your GP, get something for the anxiety and have the best sleep that you have ever had.
United StatesAbsolutely it is not! It's an understandable, reasonable and logical reaction to probably the biggest event of your life. You are putting yourself in the hands of total strangers, you have no idea what really happens (YouTubes apart!Me being so irrational I view it as life kicking me really good with no goodness after the replacement. My phobia is ridiculous
) and it's perfectly normal that normal people would experience every range of emotions from anxiety to flat out terror. To be honest, I would be more concerned about people if they weren't anxious! That would be pretty dumb, wouldn't it?
I know all this is majorly scary but try to think of it like taking a flight or a train ride - when you do that, you have to trust the pilot or train driver, don't you? And generally we manage to do that without really thinking about it. Surgery is much the same - we have to trust the surgeon, the anaesthetist and all the OR staff to do their job and "pilot" you through this. So remember this: for you this is a once in a lifetime, life changing event - for them it's just another day at the office. I know because I've been an OR nurse and manager most of my life. It's also because of that I can tell you that every patient that comes through our hands is a precious individual and treated as such. It never becomes a conveyor belt. I just wanted you to know that.But right now my countdown timer reads 20 days 3 hours 24 minutes until I will have my son wake me up to go in for the scariest thing to me of my whole life.
Yes you sleep through it. If you want to be 110% sure about that, feel free to mention it to the anaesthetist and s/he will reassure you. Oh, and do tell everyone that you suffer this anxiety and dread and don't feel shy about it. It's extremely common but they will want to know about it so they can deal with it, and you, appropriately. As for that co-worker - he is creep! Even if he was right (which he's not) he's a creep for deliberately adding to your anxiety.Do you really sleep through it? One creep of a coworker told me its possible that I won't be sleeping through it.
Never a truer word was spoken! YourI guess when FDR said "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" somehow applies to me in a big way.
smiley says it all!
The best I could describe that is that it's somewhat uncomfortable. No worse than that. And you will be pleased for it when you don't have to haul yourself out of bed to go to the bathroom that evening!Oh another fear I didn't mention is the catheter
Those don't work because there isn't a drug currently available on this planet that will deal with bone-on-bone pain. On the other hand, all drugs will deal very adequately with post-op pain provided you take them as prescribed and for long enough. Don't be fooled into imagining that because this pain is gone, what ever is left isn't really pain. There are many manifestations of pain as you can see in this article Pain management and the pain chartAnd do the pain meds really work? Right now Celebrex or Daypro can't control the pain. Could that be because I let it go way to long?
Don't make any hasty plans here. You will only be about 5 weeks post op and that's much too soon to be embarking on such a trip. You need to read these to see whyMy wife & son are going to Disney World on April 20th. I backed out because I wasn't sure if I would have the operation and didn't want to be a party pooper the whole vacation (but) hopefully be healthy enough to get a last minute flight and have a nice time.
Yes it does help Cookie42. I like that idea of leaning over then being in your room too. And I can deal with hunger. Thanks for you info here.Will it help any to hear from people 20 or so years older than you who have done just fine? Here is one of them. The surgery itself is a piece of cake. I knew nothing from the time they told me to lean over so they could put in the spinal until being in my room. I had some pain, but nothing I couldn't stand. The only strong sensation I had was hunger.
Being a natural born coward, I didn't watch a video. Besides being a coward, I'm a huge pain wimp (which is why I had the surgery to start with). I'm glad I did it. Unlike some, I'm not 100% yet, but the operated on hip is so much better than the other one now and I know it will keep improving. I'll need the other hip done sometime and won't be scared to have it replaced. I had no restrictions other than "if it hurts, don't do it" -- which has pretty much been my motto forever! As young as you are, your life will be so much better without the pain.
Hi sharonslp, I never really considered that when I watched that darn video because all you see is someones leg then the cutting starts & into the tissue. I never look at the system of it. ThanksHere's the thing. The moment you arrive at the hospital, the system just takes over. They keep you busy with all the pre-op protocols. Very quickly they'll have you hooked up to an IV, and if you want something for the anxiety, discuss it with your doctor so he can order something for you right away.
If only I found BoneSmart.org years ago. Thanks dede62 for the kind words of encouragement.You need to let people know your fears so they can help you put them in perspective rather than let it 'cripple' you.
Thank you for adding me Poppet. Thanks to BoneSmart I am starting to scare myself by looking forward to getting fixed. I never ever thought I could be almost ready, willing & able to do this.Joeski... I have added you to the March list.. You can see who your surgical buddies are... 20 March will come around quickly. I look forward to following your recovery journey![]()
it's true.Hi cnydutch, I'm adding this right now & it's true.Joe,
isn't it about time you changed the line in your signature?
maybe something like:
"Can't wait for my new active life to start March 20th!"
Hi inimeg68, I will check out your recovery thread shortly. Keep getting better & thanks for the encouragement.I'm 2 weeks post and I had surgery on both hips. Best thing I could have ever done. Do it, do it, do it. You will not regret it.
Hello Knitter4444, I never could of imagined that based on the video I watched which caused me to delay this. Thank goodness for BoneSmart so I can get the details that I never knew of.Oh my gosh..the post op discomfort is nothing like the pre op bone crunching pain.
Hi Drbabs, that sounds like me. Exactly like me. Ans it's not a good life to live.By the time I had the surgery, I had made my life so small that it was unrecognizable.
All the good people have. It's in my signature and in a matter of a few days of lots of reading here.I hope all the good people on this forum give you the courage you need to get to the hospital and have the surgery.
Nannyannie, I kept thinking I might have undiagnosed cancer myself because the exhaustion I have is so intense. But yet the pain in my hip wakes me up all the time.I was starting to look so drawn and haggard that they thought I might even have undiagnosed cancer.

Same here, I ended up barely making it to work coming home passing out to get energy to eat some dinner then just be a blah. And I'll take a little or big or both prayer because I still think I'll need it. Thank You.I did not realise how limited my life had become until I look back and see how many invitations and trips I pulled out of last year, it creeps up on you slowly. I hope you won't mind me saying a little (or big) prayer for you to find the courage to get it done.
New Zealand
Thanks Diane, It sure is hard waiting now that I want to do it. I see in about a day & a half you'll be on your way to recovery with your new shiny hip replacement. I hope some day to visit New Zealand.Hi Joeski
I'm loving the change in your signature!
Congratulations on making the decision, it's a hard one to make. I'm looking forward to following your journey. I'm told the waiting can be the hardest part, but only a few more weeks to go. Hang in there.
Best wishes
Diane
United States
New ZealandIt's now almost 6am Monday. In just over 24 hours I will be on my way to the hospital. This is my second "day before" as two weeks ago the op was delayed (less than 24 hours before) because the prosthesis had not arrived. I'm assured its here now and I'm second on the list.Thanks Diane, It sure is hard waiting now that I want to do it. I see in about a day & a half you'll be on your way to recovery with your new shiny hip replacement. I hope some day to visit New Zealand.
Best wishes to you as well.
United States