Guest viewing is limited

Trying hard not to get too scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to stay for 3 nights at the hospital because I am on Medicare and it is required. I'm wondering how big of a tote we can bring into the hospital? I wanted to bring a robe, toiletries, shorts, a blouse, undies, a book. I have an airline compatible carry-on size, would that be okay?
 
Jojool! Me too! I am really hurting this week and I am looking forward to it but still kinda queasy and scared. I got my doggies groomed today instead of next week because I got a 30% discount :) I figured I may as well go ahead and get my haircut at the same time then I can stay home, so now I just have the food shopping/stock-up to do. I went to Wal-Mart today and bought little travel size toiletries and a small, mostly waterproof case to carry them in and a pill carry whatchamacallit.
I don't have an Ipad or notebook thingy, just a 20 pound dinosaur laptop hubby will have to carry into the hospital separately, it would probably break the carry on straps. Now I wish I had gotten a Kindle. How is your planning going?
 
didoan YIKES! Does medicare REALLY require three nights in the hospital? I haven't heard that before. That really stinks. I do not want to be in that hospital one second longer than I have to be.
 
Butterfly, I was in hospital 11 days!

I know the feeling, let me go home.....
 
didoan I looked up the medicare benefits online and it says you only HAVE TO stay three days in the hospital if you are going to be discharged to a skilled nursing facility, not if you are going straight home. You might want to check on this further if you don't want to stay three days -- I mean if your doc would let you go sooner. Medicare's way of counting the days is weird -- the day of admission counts, but not the day of discharge, no matter what time you are discharged.
 
didoan, Butterfly, Jojool, Butterfly is right. You don't have to stay three days unless you are going to a rehab center afterwards. Medicare won't pay for the rehab center unless you've been in the hospital three nights. As Butterfly says, Medicare (and most insurance companies) count the day of admission (e.g., the first night you stay), but not the day of discharge (because you aren't staying that night). In that way, you don't get charged twice for the same day/night. It makes sense when you think it through.

My advice is NOT to rush home. You will really benefit from the extra care. The nurses are like angels. The bag you are planning to take sounds fine.
 
BeckyR So they are actually counting the nights you stay, not the days? That makes sense. Wonder why they don't just say that?

Peace and love.
 
It is often an unknown factor about how long you will stay in hospital.. They always give you an estimate..
 
Butterfly and BeckyR Well now I am so confused. The three day Medicare thing is what we were told at the joint replacement class. A woman asking a question about how soon she could get down on her knees to clean her kitty's litter box said she had Medicare and Medicare requires that she stay in the hospital a full three nights. Later when my hubby & I stayed after class with questions and asked about this 3-day Medicare requirement the nurse told us if I was admitted and had surgery on Monday I would be released on Thursday. My OS originally said it would be 2-3 days in the hospital and 2-3 days at the rehab. Now I have no idea what to do, but I have been researching and comparing the ratings for the local SNFs (Skilled Nursing Facilities) I found listed on Medicare.and have narrowed it down to 2 choices.

Does anyone know how long you must stay in an SNF?

I tried to log on earlier today but it seems every time I log on something interrupts. Either the phone, someone at the door, dogs needs to go out, the washer or dryer stops or some other thing that needs attention and I cant get back until 10-11 PM. The only time I usually have quite a bit of time is Sunday but I imagine I will have loads of time after August 12th! I just hope our dinosaur laptop isn't too heavy for my lap and I can spend more time chatting on Bonesmart:)
 
I wish I understood the US medical schemes they are so different to OZ..
 
Well, I called the rehab center that seemed the best and spoke with someone in admin. I never did get a straight answer about whether or not I would have to stay a full week. During our conversation the woman forgot that I was having THR and thought I was having knee replacement, not very reassuring. It seemed like THEY would be making the determination when I should be 'released' to home care, which I imagine she thought would be their facility would be supplying.
 
didoan I will get into the medicare regs again and see if I can find an answer about the SNF. I can't do it right now, but I will do it in a couple hours.
 
didoan how are you doing? I've been thinking about you, wondering how you're doing. I know my surgery has been on my mind, and the butterflies are definitely there. What will you do this week to keep your mind occupied? I haven't a clue what to do..... but I have to keep my mind busy or I'll go nuts! :hairpulling:

Maybe it's time to find a good book.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom