Trying hard not to get too scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
didoan. Just wondering.... Wouldn't your insurance cover a lot of the items you'll need? I didn't purchase a thing ahead. My mom had a cane which I was using prior to surgery but everything else, walker, grabber, toilet seat riser, sock putter oner....lol..... EVERYTHING was given to me at the hospital and paid for by my insurance. The only thing they did not cover was the shower stool but my mom had one even tho I never used it I was able to take a regular shower standing up. I had no problems stepping into the tub either to shower.
As for reading up on every detail of surgery.... I decided it was more than good enough that the surgeon knew! I had no particular need to know the specifics. I knew, for me at least, it was better that I didn't know.
 
didoan Hi there surgery buddy! Suggestion for ya, if you need equipment, check your local Habitat for Humanity ReStore or Goodwill. Sometimes they have the risers, walkers, canes, etc. at a dramatically reduced cost.

I was supposed to go to the joint replacement class this afternoon, all scheduled and set, and our truck broke down. DANG! So, I'm hoping we can reschedule for next Friday. It's always something, eh?

All of my other pre op stuff is done, xray, ekg, etc. etc. Got that done on Wednesday. So glad to be getting closer to the big day. My stomach doesn't agree though, I get really nauseas when I think of the surgery. Gotta deal with it though!!
 
Jojool I can relate to what you said about getting nauseous when you think about the surgery. When I got my surgery date and posted it under my comments my stomach would flip flop just seeing the " RTHR JULY 1,2013 . " it made me want to literally hurl! I wish I had known then how truly ok I'd be and how much easier the whole surgery was than what I envisioned. It would gave saved me so much anxiety ! I wish I could convince you that it's really not bad at all and that you will feel sooooo much better right away! I was so afraid of the recovery and so afraid that I would somehow feel...? not normal anymore. I thought it would totally creep me out having this " part" inside my body. You know what??? That's something that I never think of now! I look just like my old self and I feel great! I wish I could say something that would reassure you and didoan so you wouldn't have to be so stressed over the next couple of weeks. I was so lucky because my surgery got scheduled for 2 1/2 weeks after I met with the surgeon so I only had a short time to think and obsess about it. Try to relax ( easy for me to say I know!) and just think about all the things you will be doing pain free very soon! And remember, you have all of us here to help you through! :console2:
 
butterfly beckyr and sandpiper thanks for all the encouragement! I have just over 3 weeks to go but last night I had such a panic attack you would have thought it was going to be the next day. This is nothing new for me though, I have always had a problem with sleep and have been taking Ambien for years, and there are times even that doesn't work. I don't know how I will sleep as the date gets closer.
Hubby and I went to the joint replacement class on Wednesday. They gave us each a whole booklet of information, they also showed us all of the equipment we will be hooked up to. The nurse who gave the class was so very nice and may be my night nurse after surgery. She told us to bring tennis shoes and shorts for walking around and PT, and only a top that buttons up the front, that we can put on a t-shirt for discharge. Some of the people in my class were having surgery with a doctor who does anterior. Hmmm, my doctor never mentioned that they had one at that hospital. It's possible though that doctor doesn't do the quantity I was looking for in a surgeon.

I am going to read your post-op thread now sandpiper.
 
Jojool I didn't see your post until I just posted my reply! You sound just like I feel! I was even going to post to sandpiper that reading her post-op thread might help quell my upside down stomach. I am sorta glad to know I am not alone in my fears!
Did your surgeon order recent xrays and ekg, etc.? I find it strange that my surgeon hasn't ordered any new xrays. I had a lot of blood work and an ekg done by the primary in early June but no xrays since Sept. 2012. I have this crazy thought that if they take another look at new xrays they will find out it's all a big mistake. Really, no kidding! I don't have as much pain as everyone else! I am stiff and very limited in movement but only hurt terribly if I move the wrong way and I pretty much have it down pat how to not move where I will be hurting myself. Maybe they plan on doing some tests when I go to the pre-op with the PA, I hope so.
I hope you can re-schedule your joint replacement, it's very informative and you can ask a lot of questions. Hubby and I stayed afterwards and talked with the nurse for over a half hour and had a lot of our questions answered. What I didnt like about the class was the fact that the case manager was supposed to be at the class but did not show up. I feel it is especially important the people in the health care profession fully do the job they are hired for.
 
Ohhhh! I have to remember to tell the PA about my adhesive tape allergy! The past 2 surgeries I had the reaction to the tape was worse than the incision pain. I couldn't even use the nicotine patch to stop smoking, after a few days everyplace I could put the patch was burned and inflamed like a severe sunburn and I had to get lidocaine to try and help the pain. I had to return the other 'steps' and go cold turkey.

I have a very hard time remembering to ask/tell doctors things when I go for an appt. My husband couldn't believe how many times I forgot to ask for a handicap placard.
 
didoan, Your surgeon wouldn't tell you about another surgeon who does anterior at the same hospital. They each do things their own way, and don't tend to refer patients to their competitors. :flwrysmile: :rofsign:Even though I know a lot of people are super-happy with the anterior surgery, I'd personally feel safer with the mini-posterior, which is what you are having. One of the risks of the anterior method is nerve damage, which may or may not regenerate, and this risk doesn't exist with the mini-posterior. I'll bet you are going to be so happy with the results, and will have a very smooth recovery. Many surgeons who use mini-posterior don't even require the hip restrictions. Take this one step at a time, and have confidence that all will be well.
 
BeckyR I've read that leg fractures are also a risk and I have had osteopenia for at least 5 years now so that was a concern for me. I had surgery on my left shoulder/upper arm for melanoma over 4 years ago and the surgeon damaged the nerves then. I have pain and strange sensations throughout every day in my upper arm and left breast area and always will. I would hate to have anything similar in my right leg! Which approach did you have?
 
sandpiper now I have found yet another post you left for me on Friday! I went to a medical supply place one day a few weeks back to look at a power lift chair and brought a list of things with me. After trying out the chair and getting a brochure I moved on to the other items like shower stool, toilet riser, grabber, etc. I was told No, the only thing my insurance will provide is one of those bedside commodes. I have regular Medicare and Tricare which is a benefit of my hubby's 20+ years of military duty that pays just the other 20 percent. Those few things didn't cost much compared to the chair and new bed we had to buy and shipping was free. If I really do have to have the other hip done withing 5 years like one OS said I will get to use them again.
 
didoan Im glad you were able to get everything you need! I had the mini posterior and am doing great! My scar is 3 inches long and was glued so my OS says it will be barely noticeable. :SUNsmile: i know it's all scary but you really will be fine. The waiting is the worst part. Just gives you time to think too much!
 
didoan, I just had my PT session, and the therapist told me that one of the most painful surgeries going is shoulder surgery. Hip surgery is just about the easiest. The rehab from your THR should be a piece of cake compared with what you went through four years ago. I had the SuperPATH approach, but would have had the mini-posterior if SuperPATH wasn't available.

You will do fine. Stay strong!
 
BeckyR, I'm so sorry I confused you. Melanoma is a cancer so the surgery on my shoulder/upper arm was only to remove the lesion and several lymph nodes in the underarm area. It left me with an ugly 6 inch scar but luckily nothing was done to the shoulder joint.
How are you feeling? Is the PT hard?
 
didoan, I did think you had shoulder surgery for arthritis or something like that. Thanks for clarifying what happened. Surviving melanoma is quite an achievement! I am so glad it was caught in time and you survived it. Wonderful! I'm feeling great, and I love the PT. It is like having a personal trainer, and if you work together, you make huge progress toward getting back on your feet and able to do the things that matter to you. You work within your own limits, and find that those limits drop away. Today, I walked as far as I've walked before when using the walker, only this time I did it with just the cane, and I felt great. The PT and I carried on a conversation the whole way out and back, and I didn't get winded. I couldn't have done that a day or two ago. She took the walker with her, in case I got really tired and needed it, but I didn't. I also walked down the stairs from my condo (instead of using the little elevator), and that was a piece of cake. I walked with what is called "reciprocating steps," meaning the normal way, not the way a baby would, one step at a time. When we got back, I walked up the steps, but was really dragging myself up through "arm power." I did make it up, but we agreed I'm not yet ready to walk upstairs. That's what I mean about working within your limits, but testing those limits. If I'd had too much trouble climbing the stairs, I could have gone down and taken the elevator, but I was almost there.
 
Hi again BeckyR! I think You had your surgery about 2 weeks ago? It sounds like you are doing great! I bet you'll even be able to have a great BarBQ on Labor Day or maybe go away for the weekend? Are you still having any pain? I have to go read your post-op thread :)

Yes, baby steps that's been me on the stairs all this year and the past few months using arm power to get up and polishing the banister going down. Going up the hill with my doggies each day I drag my right leg, going down the stairs and down the hill is lots easier.
 
This post took me all morning (4 1/2 hours) in between the whining & begging for treats from the dogs, the cat looking for breakfast, laundry and the phone ringing etc. I saved it as a draft in notepad because I got logged out. Its long and I hope not too boring:

I didn't sleep well all week, anxiety about the surgery and getting ready for it. Twice this week I ended up sleeping napping in my new recliner. I was very comfortable, I'm glad we bought it and I feel I'll be able to sleep in it for a week or two before trying to get in the bed. It didn't help that I ended up having a very busy week. I had an appt. with Molly Maids for Tues. and wanted my house to be clean so the estimate wouldn't be out of this world. I had watering to do in the garden, bed changing and 3 loads of wash as well. I didn't get it all done until 15 min. before the estimator came on Tues. After she left I searched online and found a dentist that would see me on Thurs. for an exam, Friday for cleaning. Then I ran out to pick up prescriptions, stock up on dog & cat food at the pet store then a few groceries for hubby & I.

First thing Tuesday AM the OS's office had called and wanted to change my pre-op to 'tomorrow' (Wed.) in an altogether different city and changed my surgery on Aug 12th time to 10:45 instead of 6AM. YAY! I don't have to get up at 3 AM to shower & do my hair to get there on time :) I still go to the anesthesiologist on Tues the 30th, and now afterwards I have orders go to the OS's office for xrays and blood work.

My pre-op appt. Wed. went fine, the PA was very agreeable this time, even about the rehab center. He gave me a lot of information and answered all of my questions. After the appt. I drove back to my town, went to return some clothing and shoes I won't get to wear this summer, then went to Walmart for a movie and to stock up on different brands of dog & cat food. I was so beat from the previous 3 days that I decided to put off any more grocery shopping and errands till the next day after the dentist and just head for home and some lunch. I stopped at the top of the hill for the mail. I guess I forgot to put on the brake or left the car in gear and it just kept going and side swiped a big bush, scratching the entire passenger side of the car, but I got it stopped before it went down the hill. I couldn't believe how bad it looked!

So yesterday was another busy day. The dentist called 25 min. before my appt. and wanted to know if I wanted to take the cancellation they just got and have my cleaning done that morning instead of Friday. YAY! Of course! So I got done with the dentist and then went to 2 stores for fruits & veggies then seafood, then auto body shop then an auto detail shop for an estimate to fix the damage to the car.

The car will be buffed out and waxed tomorrow AM for hundreds of dollars less than I thought! YAY! I have enough dog & cat food to last until the next millennium but I still have lots more to do for me. Today I am taking it a bit easy :) Next week maybe just a haircut then the week after get the doggies groomed, shop for groceries for us peoples and maybe my first ever pedicure? Can I have my toenails polished with something cute? I have no fingernails, I break them all keeping an almost 3000 sq ft home clean.
 
didoan wow girl!!!! You have been super busy!!! Just so you know, you have to remove all nail polish prior to the surgery. At least that's what I was told. No jewelry, no nail polish, no shaving ( I believe this has to do with the surgeon not wanting any cuts or open wounds due to risk of infection). So if you have a cute pedicure done just know that it will have to come off prior to surgery. But if you want to get one for now... Go for it!!!
 
And I think I still have loads to do! So no nail polish on my toesies :tantrum: A friend has the coolest polish and I was hoping I could outdo her, drat!
So no shaving how far in advance? A day, a week? I don't want to be hairy. :eeeuw:
The Pa didn't say anything like that, just no aspirin the week before and for post-op restrictions "don't put your knee up to your shoulder" like who can do that now!
 
didoan. Hey... Who knows. Your Dr. may not have the same rules. Like my guy never had me wear those stockings everyone talks about. So who knows! Maybe you can wear nail polish. I wonder what others have found to be the norm????
 
didoan At my class yesterday, they said no shaving within a week of the surgery, they don't want you to accidently nick yourself and have an open wound. The guy giving the class stressed it pretty strongly. I also remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't get a pedicure for the same reasons?? Just a thought.
 
sandpiper I didn't ask about the stockings but I did ask about the shots for blood thinner (clots) and ice. The PA said no shots, just a pill and you won't need ice after the first day. I will need a pillow between my legs a well. Strange how they differ, huh?

Thanks jojool, Ill be sure to use a new razor and do a good, close job Monday the 5th and hopefully I wont be too hairy!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom