Guest viewing is limited

Trying hard not to get too scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PA said......you won't need ice after the first day.
I am afraid no one here will agree with that PA. Ice is a natural pain killer. Icing helps control swelling from day 1. Ice and elevate often - especially in the first few weeks of recovery.
 
didoan, You are going to be the MOST well-prepared patient who ever lived. Great job! It will make you feel more organized when you come home, and is also keeping you busy so your anxiety doesn't get the best of you. I am so glad that your car accident didn't cause any serious damage, and that you were able to get it buffed and waxed out. Sometimes it looks worse than it really is.

I understand how you feel right now, Didoan. Before my surgery, I couldn't climb or go down stairs, and it was hard even to step up on the curb. Getting in and out of the car was a major ordeal. All that is gone, now, because of the surgery. The difficulty I'm having climbing stairs now is only because I have to get my strength back, and my hip is still healing. But so much pain and limitation has just dropped away.

I still can't touch my toes on the operated (right) side, but my surgeon and PT said that was because the muscles need to be stretched. As I do my exercises, the leg will naturally get stretched out, and soon I should be able to cut my own toenails, put on my sock, etc. One day at a time!

I am looking forward to your first post-op posting, Didoan, because you are going to just sail through this. You won't believe how much better you feel. Yes, there is work to be done afterward, but the sense of deliverance, and the reduction in pain, is dramatic. My husband says that he nearly burst into tears when he saw me an hour after surgery, in my room, because all the pain and the anxiety of the past couple of years was gone from my face, and he felt that he saw the real me again for the first time in a long time. It is hard for those who love us to see us go through so much pain.

Better times ahead!!!!
 
these posts have really taken a lot of my fear away thank you all! i am having a hip replacement tomorrow, this forum has helped me feel less scared. i had back surgery when i was 19 and i am worried the hip replacement will affect my back. I need the op as i have a lot of pain on walking and walk with a terrible limp, i use a stick. I am 60 now and although overweight i am fit yesterday i cycled 30 miles fairly flat run but wonderful as i don't limp when i cycle! I am a senior lecturer in nursing and i am trying to be positive and focus on the good things, but i am feeling very overwhelmed at the thought of being so out of control and dependent on others. i have a real fear of this.
 
alice trout After much introspection, I decided that the life out of control and total dependence on others is a big part of my fear, as well. I also am afraid of my fear and I'm afraid I will have a total meltdown in the OR waiting place and throw up or scream or something. This forum has been a Godsend to me in dealing with my earlier panic

I also have a lot of pain and can barely walk, even with two canes, and curbs or steps are a extremely difficult. I wish I could go on my bicycle like you, but I can't. When my worst leg comes upward on the pedal, the pain is awful and I can't get past it.

I'm sure you'll do fine tomorrow. I am going to ask for something in the waiting room or whatever they cal it to help my anxiety. I know I must have this done and I now it will have a very positive impact on my life. I'm trying to focus on all the things I used to do and can't do now, and try to keep my attention on those things.

We'll get through this, and I will keepyou in my prayers.

Love and peace to you.
 
alice trout, Butterfly, So much of the idea of having "control" is illusive. All of us have been in so much pain, unable to control our own bodies or to do the things we love to do. Yes, we are putting ourselves -- our lives and well-being -- in the hands of others for a short time, but they are people we have selected because we respect them. Their whole lives are focused around helping people like us to REGAIN control over our lives. Entrust yourselves to the care and expertise of those who will be helping you. They have spent a lifetime preparing for this moment. Alice, you are a nurse, and you know how dedicated you are to others. Now it is your turn to be on the receiving end of all the care and expertise you have helped others to develop.

In a very short time -- today, for you, Alice! -- you will be so happy and relieved that you have taken that leap of faith. The pain that has tortured you for so long will be gone. Yes, you will have some work to do on the recovery journey, but it is nothing like what you have gone through so far.

I'm going to do a separate little post after sending this with an update on my own progress. Love and prayers to you both!
 
In a very short time -- today, for you, Alice! -- you will be so happy and relieved that you have taken that leap of faith. The pain that has tortured you for so long will be gone. Yes, you will have some work to do on the recovery journey, but it is nothing like what you have gone through so far.
Sooooooooooooooo true!!!!!!!! BeckyR....All of us remember pre-op and now look at us....we are living proof that having this surgery is the best choice any of us could have made. The same will be true for our other pre-op friends here on BS!!!!!
 
BeckyR can you tag me in your own progress update? I'd love to hear how you are doing. I tend to loose posts on here for some reason. I believe it's because they are all over the place. I know I have been reprimanded before on here for posting all on one thread but I kind of wish they would do it like one big ongoing text message where you could include all you contacts in the same message. Then I wouldn't loos track of people!! :yikes: :loll:
 
Dear Friends,

I am now rejoining the civilized world, so to speak, leaving my condo and stepping out to do various things. Yesterday, my husband, Spencer, took me to the cafe at our clubhouse for lunch. We saw a lot of people we know from our community there, and it gave me such a lift to see how amazed they were about my progress. (We live in one of the gated communities that are so popular in South Florida, so it is like a self-contained little world. There are about 1,100 condos in the community.)

Today, we went back to the clubhouse to go in the pool. My plan was to walk in the pool, and do leg exercises. It felt like heaven to walk into that beautiful water -- not too warm, not too cold -- absolute nirvana. I felt so free, and graceful, walking around, doing leg lifts and marches, etc. I wasn't able to do it for long, because all of a sudden there were thunderboomers and I had to get out of the pool. Did not want to get struck by lightening after such a successful hip surgery.

Took a shower, dried off, and rejoined my husband at the outdoor cafe tables under the big awning, and we ordered breakfast. Talked with some of the people who were there, and quite a few asked me for the name of my surgeon. They simply could not believe I had undergone total hip replacement 2 1/2 weeks ago. Since nearly everyone in my community is 55+ (most are quite a bit older), there are a lot of hip and knee replacements taking place all the time. We have our own little support group in the gym and the pool. I will share with others about BoneSmart, too.

Now I'm home, ready to finish reading the Sunday papers, and then I'll take a nap. Even though I didn't have time to do a full pool workout, it felt magnificent to be out in the real world, with people, doing the things I love to do, feeling good, feeling normal, enjoying myself. It is definitely like having a whole new life.

Hope all of you are doing well and wishing you peaceful, happy days ahead.
 
sandpiper, I know just how you feel. Sometimes I get e-mails when people tag me, and sometimes I don't. I know that I'm missing lots of things I really want to keep up on, but I can't spent huge amounts of time reading through all the threads. From now on, I will tag you whenever I post about my progress, so you'll know I've posted something new. The one I just posted is above this note.

Thanks for your friendship, sandpiper! By the way -- I love the tiny, beautiful sandpipers along the beach. They are so precious. There are birds that are even tinier than the sandpipers, but I can't think of their name right now. I'll let you know if it comes back to me. They are so teeny and cute.
 
Butterfly don't worry, I have seen many posts on BS where folks say they give you a 'happy pill' before you go 'downstairs' (the OR). I asked the PA at my pre-op and he verified that. I guess they don't want anyone flipping out and jumping off the gurney at the last moment.
I have decided to come straight home after surgery now unless I have to go to rehab for some reason. The surgeon said just 2-3 days but the PA said 'a week', I know I can't face that.
Yesterday was our 39th wedding anniversary. Where did all of those years go? The next 2 weeks will fly and I have so much planned, I hope I get it all done!
Anyone else have groin pain? I hope it's just the hip and not something else.
 
BeckyR, you are always so encouraging :)
Your day sounded like heaven! I am so glad you relaxed and enjoyed yourself and are getting back to your old life before all of the pain and physical limitations :)
Control: 1. I hope the nurses at my hospital are wonderful, unlike the nurses at the local hospital where my Mom was a patient last year. 2. I know my hubby's limitations.
 
didoan yes!!! I had hip, groin, knee, and lower back pain! At the end just prior to surgery I even had some hip pain in the good hip! My OS said it was all related to the bad hip. Right he was! You will be AMAZED from day 1! I wish I could ease your pre surgery anxiety. Knowing what I know now, after having it done.... I would NEVER spend one second worrying! Hind sight is 20/20 I know. I stressed like crazy prior to surgery. What a waste of time it was!
 
didoan, Please don't think about going directly home after surgery. You will really benefit from the total care that the hospital can provide. There will be people available to take care of all your needs, and you won't need to do things for yourself in the very early stages of healing. I arranged with my doctor to stay a couple of extra days in the hospital -- not to be rushed out just because I "could" be discharged. I think that's part of the reason why my healing has gone so smoothly. The hospital care really and truly made a difference to me. The nurses were like a band of angels. Be gentle with yourself.

sandpiper, I remembered the name of the teeny-tiny cute birds on the beach. They are "sanderlings," and they are just adorable. Later this week, my husband and I are going to go for a walk on the beach at dawn, to see the sun come up, and I'm hoping the sanderlings will be there, scampering their way across the sand. They are just enchanting!
 
BeckyR. Do me a favor, think of me while you are on that walk!' No place I'd like to be better! Now if you happen to take a picture you may have to upload it so I can pretend I was actually there! Last time I was in FL was the end of April for a memorial service. I've had happier times there. One day soon I hope. I have to admit I miss the beach more than anything. I'd be in FL right about now vacationing had I not had this hip issue come up but it's ok. It'll be better next time!
 
I had the second half of my pre-op yesterday. I expected to see the anesthesiologist since his name was mentioned and I got myself all worked up and scared for nothing because there were just technicians and nurses :) Luckily I gave myself 1 1/2 hours to get to a 39 minute location 15 minutes early to fill out forms because the last 6 miles took 45 minutes!
I was given 3 handouts of info, instructions and orders for the day of surgery and the 10 days preceding. I am not looking forward to the last 10 days without aspirin and celebrex.
 
didoan I had my last pre-op meeting yesterday. It's getting close!! You and I are going to be recovery hippy buddies!!! I'm actually looking forward to getting this done, get it overwith, so I can get on with my life. I have the nerves still, but not as bad as it was before Bonesmart.
 
BeckyR you are doing sooooo well! It's so wonderful to hear of your progress! Thanks for keeping me informed! It truly does my heart good to know how well you are doing and that your quality of life is so much better! You go girl!!!!
 
didoan, Jojool, Yes, the week before surgery, when you can't take the NSAIDS or aspirin, can be difficult. I didn't realize how much the NSAIDS were helping me until I had to stop taking them. Fortunately, my doctor prescribed Vicodin for that time period, and it really helped. You can take Vicodin because it doesn't have any of the NSAIDS -- just hydrocodone and Tylenol -- and it really works well. You are almost there!!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom