Guest viewing is limited

TKR Trying for Acceptance

ah the convoluted path of recovery. was feeling so much better yesterday, but last night wasn't great and this morning my right lower back, glutes, and right leg are all complaining. SIGH!

i know it's not just the knee surgery. this happened on the right side last time after my left knee replacement and L4/L5, greater trochanter, etc. are not the greatest. I'm trying to be more mindful about my posture after numerous treatments last time. sadly that doesn't seem to be enough. but after just one month it's too early for anything like TPI or even NSAIDs besides the minimal ASA I'm still on as a blood thinner post TKR.

I'm stretched out with a heating pad over my right hip so that helps a bit.

just needed to vent...
 
but after just one month it's too early for anything like TPI or even NSAIDs besides the minimal ASA I'm still on as a blood thinner post TKR.
I'm curious: has your surgical team advised you again taking NSAIDs? What dose of ASA and what other anti-inflammatory medications are you taking?

I was permitted to add ibuprofen at about 2 weeks post-op -- and I was still on ASA at that time. I used it in combination with the acetaminophen. I was directed to alternate the two medications throughout the day, taking them at 3 hour intervals -- for example, a dose of acetaminophen at 6, then ibuprofen at 9, then acetaminophen at 12, and so on. -- just being careful not to exceed the maximum daily dose.

I also struggle with lumbar back pain and found having the anti-inflammatory really helpful.
 
i was advised against combining NSAIDs because of the blood thinning properties. I'm currently prescribed 182 mg of ASA, but only for one more day. i may contact my surgeon's office to see if i can get a straight answer from them. my guess is they'll punt me back to my family doctor.
 
Thinking of you, FS, on this day before your one month anniversary (to date)
Hang in there...sending you a warm hug along with wishes for greater relief as the day progresses. :console2:
@FleuveStone
 
That's great. Remember it may take a few days for the drug to build up in your system to reach the therapeutic level, so don't worry if you don't find relief on day one (although I hope you do!)
 
also struggle with lumbar back pain and found having the anti-inflammatory really helpful
Like @benne68 I also have lumbar arthritis and I get sciatica. I remember it being really tough in the early weeks after my PKR before I could get on the floor to do back exercises/ pilates. I took naproxen pretty much as soon as I stopped opiates- as much for my back as my knee. It definitely helped. Maybe talk to your doctor?
 
well i was writing a message, inserted an emoji then lost the message. not the first time I've done that. the phone is not my native habitat, i much prefer a keyboard but it's kind of hard to use while riceing!
 
On my laptop so maybe I can manage to post without losing the message!?

Had third physio appointment today (actually with a kinesiologist under supervision of a physio). This one was my favourite. She seemed more engaged, asked if I had any questions, then listened and answered as well as she could.

She also let me warm up on the "Step"/bicycle" machine, which I like. Then my extension was "fine/good" and ROM was at 115. Slow and steady progress.

She also had stories about other patients who lost ground when they overdid and swelled up. She seemed to get it.

Got more exercises which are more along the lines of strengthening vs. stretching. Apparently we can lose glute muscle from all the sitting and lying around we have to do in early days of TKR recovery. She said we should NOT do too many of these, as that can lead to muscles tightening. I'm actually looking forward to some strengthening!!!

OH AND I FORGOT: I can ditch the walker and move to a cane all the time. Which is good because it's what I've been doing at home anyway.
 
Last edited:
Hi and Happy One Month Anniversary!
It sounds like you had a great session yesterday and received some reassurance. Congrats on progressing to the cane full time. I loved giving the clunky walker the old heave-ho. Made me feel old before my time. :wink:
Hope you have a lovely weekend, FS! :SUNsmile:
@FleuveStone
 
Well done on being able to ditch the walker, it is such a great feeling!
I think you are doing amazingly well and best wishes as you progress!
 
Interesting this time around that I am usually cold and/or freezing, vs. last time when I was hot most of the time. It's a bit of an issue with icing, but at least now I can be slightly more active than the past month or so, and start getting my metabolism to a reasonable level!
 
the cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea.
~isak Dinesen
 
Hi and Happy Monday!
Since icing is affecting you differently this time, if you haven't already, consider placing a warm blanket or heating pad on your upper body while icing...it may help. Warm socks can help also. As can eating or drinking something warm. A slightly thawed ice pack may not feel as intense as a hard frozen one. It will still provide the cold therapy you're seeking with out leaving you feel like you're in a meat locker.
Hope you're having a good day, FS!
@FleuveStone
 
another milestone yesterday. returned borrowed crutches to the Red Cross. had only used them a few times the first few days to get to the washroom since my walker wouldn't fit through the door but never really got the hang of them. as always it's good to get stuff out of the house!

also sat in a restaurant and had lunch with my husband. that involved a bit of a walk to get there and back to the car, but we took it really slow. Food and people watching were both good!

also went to the drugstore and stocked up on acetaminophen and ibuprofen, which has been a game-changer.

finally, looked into hydrotherapy (thanks to @Annekin for the suggestion) and reached out to the physio who ran the GLAD program in 2019 to ask what they offer. baby steps
 
also sat in a restaurant and had lunch with my husband. that involved a bit of a walk to get there and back to the car, but we took it really slow. Food and people watching were both good!
Remember the first time I went out and how great it felt. It is wonderful to be back in the world again.
finally, looked into hydrotherapy (thanks to @Annekin for the suggestion) and reached out to the physio who ran the GLAD program in 2019 to ask what they offer. baby steps
Just be careful with hydrotherapy. Some people here love it but I can't tolerate it.
I was always a bit hypermobile and I find I just can't judge my body in water and I can overtwist and overdo things without realising until afterwards.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom