Guest viewing is limited

TKR Trying for Acceptance

okay i have a question about the Breg polar care wave... or any breg that comes with plastic bags to freeze. 7 of the 8 i got with my initial purchase about 5 weeks ago have broken. they spring a leak at the seal then it's game over. I'm adapting with other ice forms i have and waiting till the last bag breaks before i send them a strongly worded email! it seems absurd to spend so much on a product only to have the ice source fail so spectacularly so soon. they also say not to use anything but their bags LOL which are by the way not cheap!

has anyone else had this issue?
 
Frustrating isn't it? :hairpulling: Many use frozen water bottles. Fill plastic water bottles and freeze them. Drop them into the cooler instead of the bags. They won't leak and will last longer than ice and its east to rotate sets. Do not overpack, blocking the pump intake. Good Luck!
@FleuveStone
 
I don’t have the Breg Polarcare Wave but I do have the Breg Polarcare Cube.
As Layla says, I just use frozen water bottles, I use 4 and have 4 in the freezer to swap out when they thaw though that might be difficult if you don’t have room in the freezer, I did not realize they have special bags but luckily my Breg came free with my insurance, so I can imagine how frustrating that must be if you had to pay for them!
 
update on hydrotherapy. still waiting for clearance from OS to submerge, but took the opportunity to reach out to the physio i used to see. she used to do hydrotherapy sessions at a nearby hotel pool that is quite lovely. unfortunately that's ended because the hotel won't insure for it anymore. she pointed out that i can get a punchcard and guide myself through exercises that she would prescribe. it's not ideal but a good enough compromise that I'm looking forward to it. it should also solve my problem of being a picky southern gal swimmer. ( who has lived in Canada for far longer than the South, but never mind that particular inconsistency), but sadly no warm outdoor pool for me, @Annekin !

she's also available to help with TKR rehab and GTPS treatment so i feel a lot of relief since i respect and like her so much.

Glad you've got some hydrotherapy exercises to do. Perhaps you can find a Lido to do the exercises in Summer?! I've got hydrotherapy on Thursday for the first time in 2 weeks, as the pool needed repairs. Fingers crossed for sunshine!
 
thanks, @Annekin . I'm not familiar with the term lido? I'll keep looking but i don't live in a very pool rich area, and that makes me sad! enjoy Thursday and I'll send good wishes for sun!

@Layla and @safi , all good suggestions thanks very much. i had bad luck last time with my cryocast (?). the adhesive on the bottle labels i used dissolved and blocked the intake or something (probably something about our otherwise good water). i bought a new cuff but the whole thing never recovered, hence the Breg this time around. i hope my insurance will cover it but they're taking their sweet time. what's that thing i need? oh yeah PATIENCE! lol
 
what a great idea. i often dream of going back to Iceland where just about every town has a swimming pool, usually outdoors, and heated by their abundant geothermal energy. bliss!
 
Oh forgot to say re: labels on the bottles, I took them all off before freezing but hope you get a good and timely response from them!
Ha! Patience is hard for sure !
 
I also used the label-less water bottles. 4 in the container and 4 in the freezer. That way I had nice cold water all the time! I used ice everyday for at least 2 months, and then has needed after that.
 
Hello and Happy Monday,
Best wishes for your visit with the surgeon and X-rays today.
Let us know how it goes.
A great week to you!
@FleuveStone
 
Thanks, @Layla . I doubt if it could've gone much better. He started out by saying that the recovery might have been more difficult this time because "it gets harder as we get older". Can't argue with that. :loll:On the other hand, SO FAR :fingersx: (I'm painfully aware that things can and do go wrong) it's been much easier, right from Day One, except for some post-surgical issues which may well have had something to do with aging.

The long and short of it: we're leaving it open for me to go back to see him if I need or want to, but he didn't think it was necessary to schedule anything at this point. AND I'm cleared for submerging, driving, scar moisturizers--he recommended Vitamin E cream, and IMS/TPI as long as no injections are near the knee joint.

I was also pleased to hear him say recovery can take 6 months to a year or longer.

I'm at home now luxuriating in vitamin E oil and moisturizer along the scar. Bliss!!!

I also cancelled the 10-minute appointment with the protractor physio on Monday and booked one with my physio of choice for next week. We'll discuss TKR rehab, GTPS treatment, and hydrotherapy--YAY!
 
Last edited:
Great news, FS! Yay for your surgeons nod of reassurance on the progress of your recovery...and being cleared to do all of the things!

It will be nice to have a physio you chose yourself. It certainly helps to work with someone you like. I'll bet you were very happy after today's visit.
Onward she goes! :walking:
@FleuveStone
 
I’m pleased for you. It’s a tough journey, for sure. It will get better, you’re doing all the right things. Hydrotherapy sounds great. Just go easy on the PT. There’s no rush and like you say we take longer to mend, we don’t bounce back quite like we used to. Have a good week.
 
Yay, you can get back to doing the things you like to do! Of course, be careful to not overdo. With this new freedom we tend to do too much too soon, and join the ODIC, (over did it club). It is not a fun place!
 
This is excellent news for sure. You can daydream about things you've been wanting to do. But, I have to warn you, as others have, to be very careful to not over do it. Healing takes time, like you know. But when we over do it seems to really mess with your healing process. Slow and steady isn't how we want to heal, but its what our bodies need.
 
thanks @eaglemom and everyone else. You're all totally right about this. The person I most need to convince about healing time is...me! It's far too easy to slack off on icing, join the ODIC, and generally be in denial about what's happening that I can't see.

So I just reread this article and am working hard to convince myself to find the right balance between activity and rest.

 
Let your activity challenge you a little without exhausting you. Engage in activity in phases rather than just going at it with gusto, like we're all temped to do on the good days. You liking the ODIC? If so please leave a good review, we're short on them. :wink:
Glad you're part of the community, FS! :thumb:
@FleuveStone
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom