Guest viewing is limited

TKR Trying for Acceptance

It seems like you're in good company since many seem to struggle with sleep and frustration around the one month post op time. Less than 4 weeks ago you endured major surgery. You've come a long way!

Rest counts! I am happy you are prioritizing rest since it allows your knee to heal and gentle PT may be more effective. Continue reminding yourself of the trauma your body is healing from. Consider allowing your body to guide you as far as PT goes.

Sleep can be difficult due to swelling and pain. Wondering if you've tried icing for 45-60 minutes right before bed? If not, consider it and see if it allows you to sleep for a longer stretch of time. I fell asleep icing and actually got a fresh ice pack when I got up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. I was an icing fanatic. It doesn't work for everyone, I do understand that, but if you can tolerate it...Ice away. :ice:
Sweet Dreams tonight! :fingersx::sleep:
@FleuveStone
 
thanks for the support, @Layla and @Aussie Bill !

true about trauma and healing. we only have so much energy. also fighting off a virus takes more energy.

last couple nights I've iced before sleep and that's very helpful. i like the idea of another round in the middle of the night, especially since I'm awake awhile anyway. there's something very relaxing about lying on the back and elevating the feet, especially with an eye pillow, so it sounds like a win win. I'll see what i can pull off.
 
@Jockette thanks for the chuckle and the wise words about 20 minutes of icing not being helpful. physios also mentioned the window of opportunity.... sigh . sometimes it's hard to know what the truth is
 
Stick with Bonesmart. Born from dealing with many patients and we’ve all had a joint replacement here. Experience can be better than book knowledge.
 
You're welcome. Supporting you is my pleasure.

If you have any reservations about icing for only "twenty minutes, you may find this interesting -

Icing for up to twenty minutes only several times a day is what most of us have been advised to do following an injury. Some therapists may even recommend this after joint replacement surgery, But with this surgery, ice is a critical part of pain management and should be used not only on the joint, but any surrounding areas of discomfort. Always place a towel between your skin and the ice source to prevent freezer burn and ice as much as you like. Icing helps bring relief from the soft tissue trauma and internal swelling. Icing is a great natural pain reliever and best of all, it's free. While some care providers do put a maximum time on icing, others suggest you ice as often as you see fit. Icing after therapy, exercises, or prolonged activity that challenge ROM and endurance should help ease any discomfort, or may keep pain at bay. You can find relief through icing for weeks to months post op.

I hope you feel better soon!
@FleuveStone
 
For the first couple of months, I iced and elevated the whole time I was sitting or laying down. making sure I had a thin cloth between my ice source and knee. This was a great help in managing my pain and swelling. You can not over ice as long as you have a cloth between you and the ice.
 
Slept well and for more than six hours total with less than an hour awake during the night :loveshwr:. Iced for an hour at bedtime and had a Benadryl. everyone's comments and support so helpful!

Now that I'm awake I'm icing again. it's a new day!
 
Wonderful news! Sleep is everything, especially while healing.
Happy Sunday! I hope it's a sunny beautiful day in your neck of the woods.
@FleuveStone
 
it's been a beautiful day, though on the cool side... that's April for you! we bundled up and enjoyed deck sitting. our bird friend visitors are as amusing as always. we also saw our first swallows of the spring! I've started opening the Merlin app, which picks up on Birdsong and takes a good guess at identifying them. I'm always amazed at what it can hear and what i can learn. it's a good hobby for a recovering person!

i also sorted laundry and started two loads of wash. that's a first for me and one simple way i can contribute. i don't think i did enough to join the ODIC but time will tell. resting and elevating now!
 
Same weather here today, sunny...but temps pretty cool.
It is nice that you were able to enjoy some fresh air on the deck today. The Birdsong app sounds interesting and I agree, that could be a great pastime to enjoy in early recovery, and beyond. It sounds peaceful and relaxing, it gets you outdoors and you're actually learning something. It would be fun to do with morning coffee, when birds are so actively chirping.

I hope doing the laundry doesn't land you in the ODIC. It's funny how mundane chores can actually feel enjoyable and fulfilling after you were unable to do them for a time.
Wishing you a good night's sleep. :yawn: <-That emoji makes me yawn, for real!:heehee:
@FleuveStone
 
if my Fitbit is to be trusted, i slept 5h 47m last night with a sleep score of 83 (FWIW, probably not much!) and was awake 51 minutes. woke up feeling refreshed... and knowing that a nap or two will be in order today. it's sunny and bright right now and that really helps.

am doing my morning icing, with two blankets and a heating pad. last night it felt way too cold but this is good
 
slept okay last night but woke up way too early. felt stiff all over, cold, and EXTREMELY irritable. normally i would've taken a couple of naproxen and possibly an Epsom salt bath but I'm still on ASA as a bloodthinner for a couple more days and don't have the go-ahead to submerge yet. so i curled up and slept for an hour and woke up feeling much better. bonus: it was time for another dose of acetaminophen.

i think this was my first foray into the ODIC this time around. yuck. reminder to self: Don't go there! :shocked:
 
Yes, the ODIC is no fun. I recall my one and only stint was the day I practiced with the cane for the first time walking way too many circles around my home. I Yi Yi :hissy: I spent the entire next day pretty much on the recliner icing. Lesson Learned! After that I learned slow, measured, easy works much better.

I hope you feel better as the day goes on, maybe a little happy nappy is in order for the day. :wink:
@FleuveStone
 
Once you've joined the ODIC you seem to never want to attend another meeting! Thus you pay more attention to what your doing and stop before over doing. Its part of the learning I think.

Doesn't good rest just feel the best? I'm glad that has been better for you.

Your doing great. Just little bits at a time is how recovery is, with unfortunately some not great days and followed by good days. You've got this.
 
@thanks for your kind words, @eaglemom . guess I'm feeling kind of emotional too as I'm tearing up... but in a good way.

my imagination is going to town, thinking i might have an infection. pulled out the sheets from the doctor/hospital and it doesn't seem to be the case. more likely still the ODIC plus the virus that's hounded me a few days.

so many unknowns
 
I'm feeling kind of emotional
This really is a thing.
I know you understand that surgery is a stress to our body and it causes our body to release cortisol which can contribute to an array of emotional ups and downs, disrupting our mood and causing us to feel, anxious, sad, irritable etc. Then there are the pain meds...even some anti-inflammatory drugs can cause highs or lows in mood. It doesn't help if we're struggling to sleep because being tired is also linked to increased emotional reactivity. The virus you're dealing with is unfortunate, recovery from joint replacement is enough in itself. I hope the symptoms are decreasing.

Not sure what made you question the possibility of infection, which is not very common, but I'll include some common signs which are likely the same as the symptoms you found on your hospital discharge info -
Fever
Unusual or increasing pain
The incision is hot to the touch
A change in the size of the incision
A change in the odor of the discharge
A yellow or green discharge that is increasing
Redness or hardening of the surrounding area
Excessive bleeding that has soaked through the incision

Thank you for sharing the highs and the lows of your recovery journey with all. There are so many unknowns in recovery and it can feel really unsettling to experience encouragement, then suddenly discouragement.
Or a peaceful relief that all is well, then suddenly worry that something may be wrong. It's a roller coaster of emotions and you find yourself wanting OFF! I hope you slept well last night and today feels a bit brighter.
We're with you through it all. :console2:
 
thanks so much, @Layla , last night was good! just under six hours sleep and not awake for too long. honestly not bad compared to my pre surgery norm. a nap later on will be delicious.

thanks also for the info on infection. if anything there was softness including a "dent" under my knee which by the light of day seems to imply extra swelling. and somewhere on here I read about the effects of gravity on swelling and bruising. too much standing? i did some cooking. not fair that something that's good for us isn't good for us!

very interesting about cortisol! I've gotten away from heavy duty meds except for the low dose of ASA the doctor insists on (funny...i never used to think of ASA as anything but harmless). i have been taking some Robaxin which is available OTC here in Canada and was approved by the doctor's office...it seems to help me with the weird muscle cramping that arises randomly.
 
I've gotten away from heavy duty meds except for the low dose of ASA the doctor insists on (funny...i never used to think of ASA as anything but harmless).
I think many of us dismiss ASA because it's been around for so long. But, it really is a very effective drug.

It's classified as an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) in the same class as ibuprofen and naproxen. It is an anti-inflammatory, fever reducer AND blood thinner. Many surgeons prescribe low-dose ASA for 30-45 days post-op to prevent blood clots.
 
i think this was my first foray into the ODIC this time around. yuck. reminder to self: Don't go there! :shocked:
Yep, once we visit we never want to return! It's a trial and error recovery. What hurt you this month, might not hurt you next month. I was 3 months out before I tried swimming again. I did only 1 lap, but that put me into the ODIC. I waited another month to try it, and my knee was ready. Of course, I started off slowly and built up as time went on.
a nap later on will be delicious.
I love the way you stated this! It's amazing how much good a short snooze can help.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom