Guest viewing is limited

TKR Trying for Acceptance

I'm so proud of you - I giggled out loud that you just nodded politely. That just makes me smile. I'm lad your doing well.
 
Within three days and I'm being too literal as usual.
No, you're not.
Within does mean that they'll fall off sometime before three days are up, so yours started loosening on the earlier side.

If the wound appears healed, the strips were likely just an extra precaution for a couple of days. If it were me, I'd keep the area dry and clean and avoid baths unless you've already received a nod from your surgeon to soak in a bathtub. It's wise that you have a call into his office. Better safe, than sorry. In my time here, I've noticed that wound care protocol seems to vary widely between OS's.


I agree totally @Layla. I'm definitely going for as safe as possible. the person who placed them said to not shower for three days. then there was something about ten days... what i don't know! i would've appreciated a handout as it's challenging to register and remember all these details when running on little sleep and pain medications.(that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Handouts are always a help, but in their absence, that’s why you have BoneSmart to turn to for guidance. We’re always available to help. It’s like we always say, BoneSmart is here to fill in those little gaps between the time-crunched doctors and their patients. And we’re happy to be able to do that for you. :thumb:
 
i would've appreciated a handout as it's challenging to register and remember all these details when running on little sleep and pain medications.
I certainly understand. It can be frustrating when you're wondering and have questions. No one wants to be the pest calling the OS's office every time they have a question. Many surgeon's have recovery protocol on their website, but equally as many don't. Recoveries likely vary so much as far as timelines, due to each individuals age, health, pre-existing medical conditions, surgery complications etc. My guess is it keeps patients from worrying if their recovery isn't moving along as quickly as any guidelines note that it will. The forum helped me immensely. It was easy enough to ask questions of those recovering with me in real time, which often eased my mind if I had a concern.

Hopefully you received some clarification from your surgeon's office by now, FS. :fingersx:
Have a wonderful day!
 
Hopefully you received some clarification from your surgeon's office by now,
sadly no! naturally i jump to the conclusion that I'm on their Pest List :rotfl:

thank you @sistersinhim , excellent advice. i will hand it to physios and doctor's clinic that they're recommending lots of icing and frequent minimal movement. that i can be on board with. also continuing to use the walker and limiting standing/walking to 5-10 mins per hour.

sleep deprivation still an issue. and now constipation from tramacet. trying to follow one suggestion at a time and not get too freaked out about either of those things
 
sleep deprivation still an issue. and now constipation from tramacet.
IF...you're into supplements at all, you may be able to kill two birds with one stone through Magnesium.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Also, Magnesium can be an effective option for constipation since it draws water into the intestines, softening stool and relaxes intestinal muscles making it easier to pass stool. Magnesium Citrate often works within hours and why I'll most often recommend Magnesium Glycinate, which is more gentle on the intestinal tract.

A natural remedy to consider if the sleeplessness and constipation continue. Good Luck!
 
Eating magnesium-containing foods (almonds, peanut butter, spinach, cashews, peanuts, wheat cereal or bread, and black beans) is not a problem and you could certainly increase your intake of these foods. But if you’re getting magnesium from a supplement, you shouldn’t take more than the 350-400 mg in the pill or capsule once a day. It is possible to get too much magnesium from supplements (or some laxatives) for your system to handle.
 
Maybe?
Not sure what form you're taking, or what dose, but I use Magnesium Glyciante and the typical range is 300-400 mg/day. I usually take it at only at night. Glycinate is mild and you may consider a stronger form of Magnesium if you're feeling miserable. You can always check with your surgeon's care team for advice or reassurance.
@FleuveStone
 
surgeon's office had info about treatment online and in the booklet. I've tried small doses of Senna and polyethylene glycol? which seems to be about all i can handle. it's slowly working i believe.

and finally spoke to them about the steristrips. turns out all the patients who were there that morning had the same issue with peeling! dug up a few that i had from something else and will send my husband to the drugstore for more later. mine seem stronger and better adhesive!
 
Last edited:
That's interesting....they must have had some old strips. The adhesives do have a shelf life. Glad you got the word to purchase some of your own that you know will adhere better. Good job being persistent.
 
spent some time reading here and my main takeaways were to continue with frequent short activity including simple physio exs, not stand or walk for more than five mins an hour (then gradually increase and test when I'm ready), and.... drumroll please... ice! someone here (and a physio) suggested putting a small ice pack behind the knee so I'm trying to get in the habit of that. and i feel reassured that I'm not going to freeze my skin as long as there's a thin layer of cloth.

it all takes a lot of patience, which is not my strong suit. also I've been fighting off a virus and getting really chilled (or hot, go figure) so drank a bunch of hot cold and flu tea, had oil of oregano and vitamin c, and generally feel much stronger . fingers crossed
 
When in need, take as directed. :wink:
[Bonesmart.org] Trying for Acceptance

I am sorry you're fighting off a virus and dealing with the body temperature swings. Sounds like you're on top of it. Get lots of rest and hopefully you feel better soon! Wishing you comfort. :console2:
@FleuveStone
 
Hi FleuveStone, Happy Easter to you. Home now and off the drugs. This is a long process with lots of hills and valleys in recovery. I was fortunate to do an extra week in the hospital rehabilitation wing before coming home. Home now and ahead of schedule. My operation while it had the same external cutting done to get inside the joint. None of the TKR bone cutting was needed. My window to get back to work is just 4 more weeks, so this experience has to be express to meet that goal. Dr Darren Chen my surgeon uses dissolvable stitches and a waterproof dressing, went back on day 10 for him to check and he removed the waterproof dressing and was happy with the healing, 115 and -5 bend. I have the all clear to shower and another week before submersion. It may seem like your recovery is taking longer than you would like. I did feel the same on my two TKR surgeries and pain management was an issue. This time around less to recover from and the process is working in my favour. Wish you well, hope your progression advances as you would like.
 
another night of not the greatest sleep, but at least a longer stretch of 3-1/2 hours or so which means a lot.

feeling rather put upon by the demands of rehab. have decided to prioritise sleep or at least rest, icing and elevation for the foreseeable future, and try to let go of feeling guilty about not doing what the physios are saying I should be (exercises every two hours followed by 20 minutes of icing).

glad to have the Bonesmart community of knowledge with me
 
have decided to prioritise sleep or at least rest, icing and elevation for the foreseeable future
This is also a part of your rehab. I don’t know how, or why, “training us for the Olympics” ever became part of our recovery.

followed by 20 minutes of icing
And only 20 minutes is a waste of time. It’s not enough time to help.


Hang out here with us, Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support.
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

Best wishes!
 
Hi FleuveStone, I’m not an expert by any means, but for myself I’m just doing what feels right for me. In rehab we did sessions at 9AM and 2PM. So that’s what I’m continuing with. My house has stairs and I’m doing short walks as well. The rest of the time just watching TV or on the iPad with my knee iced and elevated. You do what feels right. If you have extra pain just chill, this is my advice. You are the only one who counts and it’s not a competition, We all have our own journey or path to get well. You are in charge Strength and bend come with time and healing. Give yourself a chance to heal. Be good to yourself it’s your body.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom