Guest viewing is limited

TKR TRKR 10/13/23 - Moving Forward with Many Detours

Only when I stand and put weight on it does it feel "full" if that makes sense
Yes, we’ve had other members use the word “full.” I would think that would be swelling. Sometimes we can’t see the swelling, but we can still feel it.

I look forward to taking care of my knee, including icing it, this weekend.
Try to take it extra easy this weekend. Don’t look at this as doing nothing, look at it as giving your knee the best circumstance in which to heal. Healing knees can be quite the drama queens at times. (thus the name of my recovery thread! :heehee: )
 
Thank you @Jockette for sharing about your PKR. I'm glad it contined healing. This may be a two-year project as you're right, I need to give it time, and I haven't been taking care of it this week as I was called to work. You saying your leg continued to relax and heal encourages me that mine may do the same.
 
I haven't been taking care of it this week as I was called to work.
Things come up in life that we have to do, so we can’t always give our healing knee the attention it wants/needs. And, often we have unrealistic healing expectations, because we are just not told how long healing can take. (I was certainly unprepared for my recovery! ) That’s where Bonesmart comes in! We fill in the gaps with knowledge, support and encouragement. Enjoy your restful weekend!
 
Only when I stand and put weight on it does it feel "full" if that makes sense.
That makes sense to me. I can still get a very slight sensation like that- if I stand for a very long time. I think it is probably slight swelling causing that feeling.
I find moving my weight from leg to leg and flexing my quads helps- but I am much further on.
Standing was the hardest thing for me- for many months after I could walk for miles.
 
Hello and Happy Thursday!
My knee feels normal when I sit with my leg bent and when I extend it. Only when I stand and put weight on it does it feel "full" if that makes sense.
"Soft tissue fullness" is a term used in medical reports to describe an area of the body that appears larger or fuller than normal. This can be due to swelling and inflammation. So your description makes good sense. :wink:

I hope you enjoy your last day at the polls and have a peaceful relaxing weekend!
 
Good morning and thank you @Jockette @EalingGran and @Layla. You are right; this is an unexpected detour, and today I feel positive. I'm very grateful for the work as I worried when the job ended, and two days of working at the polling location became six days. It's a big help financially. You and this site are a wealth of information and reassurance that this is temporary and will pass. Last night was one of those low points. However, the expected snow turned to rain, which means the temperature is above freezing, and humid. I'm icing my knee now as I have another half hour before time to start getting ready. Thank you again, and happy Thursday.
 
I read about Dr. Finn and using radiation; however, he then replaces the knee. I'm interested to know why you chose against radiation.
I discussed this with my surgeon and he expressed concern about the possibility of the x-rays interacting with the metal prosthetic parts (if they are left in, as I would have and it sounds like you might too) as well as increased risk of cancer, since the radiation must be powerful enough to change the tissues.

I also searched the medical literature at the time and the few studies I could find were small, not blinded, and had no controls - such poor experimental design means that the conclusions reached by these studies are essentially meaningless.

So, no proof of effectiveness and the possible risk of cancer made it a non-starter for me. Your mileage may vary.

The two studies I found were:

J Arthroplasty. 2013 Sep;28(8):1314-20.
doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2012.11.009. Epub 2013 Mar 22.

Low-dose irradiation and constrained revision for severe, idiopathic, arthrofibrosis following total knee arthroplasty​

Yasser R Farid <a title="University of Illinois at Chicago, Illinois, USA." href="https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23523206/#full-view-affiliation-1">1</a>, Rishi Thakral, Henry A Finn
Affiliations Expand

************** and *******************

Cent. Eur. J. Med. • 7(4) • 2012 • 553-556DOI: 10.2478/s11536-012-0009-9
Central European Journal of Medicine

Irradiation in the treatment of arthrofibrosis after total knee arthroplasty: a preliminary trial

Clemens Baier*, Hans-Robert Springorum, Günther Maderbacher,Sebastian Winkler, Bernd Füchtmeier, Rainer Neugebauer

Department of Traumatology and Orthopeadic Surgery, Hospital Barmherzige Brüder Regensburg,Teaching Hospital, University of Regensburg, Prüfeningerstraße 84, 93049 Regensburg, Germany
 
Good morning everyone. Thank you again for your comments and assurances and encouragement. Happy Saturday! Yesterday (after coming home from the dentist) and this morning I applied a heating pad to my back and have been icing and elevating my knee. Slowly, I'm starting to feel better. Maybe it was the chill through my legs that agitated my knee. It's still painful though less so. Next week I'm having another MRI on my back to determine if the cyst is pressing on another nerve. I'm looking into buying thermal underwear - my grandma called them long johns - to keep my legs warm.

Yesterday after the dentist I crashed and was not online.

Thank you @WFD for explaining why your doctor advised against the procedure. I've had xrays (not radiation) of my op knee; earlier I had an MRI yet the technician made sure to protect the implant so maybe that's why the tendon he mentioned wasn't visible. Protecting the implant is also why my surgeon said he cannot inject cortisone into my right leg, even higher up in the quad or tendon. Thank you for the information; I'll read the links.
 
I'm so sorry you are struggling with this, @dubloosh, and glad to read you are feeling a bit better today.

I'm looking into buying thermal underwear - my grandma called them long johns - to keep my legs warm.
I lived in these during the winter months following my December surgeries. They are the best. I splurged on some silk ones, because I found the regular ones made me itchy if I wore them all day.
 
I lived in these during the winter months following my December surgeries. They are the best. I splurged on some silk ones, because I found the regular ones made me itchy if I wore them all day.
HI @benne68 and thank you. Good to know they're helpful as I haven't worn them in a long time. As I'm allergic to silk I'll opt for the regular ones as I've worn them before. Yesterday I went out late and bundled up, and as I was walking to my car - it's inside a large garage under our building and is usually warmish - I met a neighbor I'd not seen in a while. She stopped to talk, and after 10 minutes my knee and quad felt tense. We chatted maybe five more minutes, then I excused myself. My car warmed up quickly, and I thought nothing of yesterday until this morning. It snowed last night, and though the heat's been on in every room, I put a heating pad on my quad. It must be the cold and not anything I've done or not done that causes my leg to become stiff, though I didn't have this feeling a few months ago. Now that I know the cause I can focus on the remedy.
 
There a bit more good news: my pain management doctor suggested a prednisone pack for a few days to calm the inflammation in my spinal area. This may also calm the inflammation in my knee, which would greatly lift my spirits. As the MRI is Thursday, I'll ask to start it Friday as I don't know if/how I'll react to it.
 
I hope the prednisone pack brings you relief and the MRI goes smoothly on Thursday bringing you the answers that you need. Wishing you comfort and favorable results!
@dubloosh
 
Thank you @Layla. I appreciate your kind words.

Today my surgeon could not tell me the source of side knee pain except to say it may be soft tissue. He ordered another xray that indicated the bones are good so no stress fracture. I'm beginning to wonder about him because he sent in a prescription for Voltaren gel, which the pharmacist advised me not to use if I take ibuprofen. Maybe he's gettting tired of me. It's three months into the second recovery and only one month after the horrid PT session so maybe it has to get worse before it gets better. I'm looking forward to dancing at my high school reunion in September and hope my then-crush comes.
 
Last edited:
Your pharmacist is correct in that both Voltaren and ibuprofen are NSAIDs and it is advisable to watch taking more than one NSAID at a time. But the risk of interaction is much reduced by having the Voltaren be a topical gel instead of an NSAID you take orally. If you have concerns about side effects (stomach problems is the main one), ask your GP about using both. Or you can switch to Tylenol for any pain rather than ibuprofen. It’s a better pain reliever anyway.

It is quite likely that the source of your pain is soft tissue. That can actually last quite a long time. Remember, you just had your last procedure in November…..not that long ago. Your knee has been through a lot and you’re likely going to need extra time for recovery.
 
You have good bones! That's encouraging. I'm sure this is wearing on your patience some days. Slowly you will get there.

You have something fun to focus on....dancing at your September class reunion. So fun!
I just went to mine last September, it was a good time! Hopefully your high school crush shows up and looks like a prince :eyebrows: and not a toad, lol. You never know after so many years. I walked in and thought who are all of these old people? :wink: Apparently others thought the same, we all laughed about it.
A peaceful evening to you, dubloosh!
@dubloosh
 
Thermal tops and bottoms are my go to from mid November through mid March!!!!

The prednisone sounds like a reasonable step. I hope it's helpful!
 
Your pharmacist is correct in that both Voltaren and ibuprofen are NSAIDs and it is advisable to watch taking more than one NSAID at a time. But the risk of interaction is much reduced by having the Voltaren be a topical gel instead of an NSAID you take orally. If you have concerns about side effects (stomach problems is the main one), ask your GP about using both. Or you can switch to Tylenol for any pain rather than ibuprofen. It’s a better pain reliever anyway.

It is quite likely that the source of your pain is soft tissue. That can actually last quite a long time. Remember, you just had your last procedure in November…..not that long ago. Your knee has been through a lot and you’re likely going to need extra time for recovery.
Thank you @Jamie. As of Wednesday I'm off NSAIDs until I finish the medrol pack ordered by my back doctor. I wish all med professionals worked together. I haven't taken oral steroids since my PMS days and look forward to feeling better. Hopefully, this will calm my knee, too. You're right about Tylenol, which can also be taken without food, and November. It's only been a short time.
 
You have good bones! That's encouraging. I'm sure this is wearing on your patience some days. Slowly you will get there.

You have something fun to focus on....dancing at your September class reunion. So fun!
I just went to mine last September, it was a good time! Hopefully your high school crush shows up and looks like a prince :eyebrows: and not a toad, lol. You never know after so many years. I walked in and thought who are all of these old people? :wink: Apparently others thought the same, we all laughed about it.
A peaceful evening to you, dubloosh!
@dubloosh
Yes @Layla, this is, and I'm sorry I repeat myself here.

I'm glad you enjoyed your reunion. My crush looks a little older - we all are - and is sharp, good sense of humor, and spoke with me for a good long time the first time we spoke. Funny that we didn't know each other at all in high school. We speak at least once a month and are Facebook friends so we email there, too. It's something fun to think about in the near future.

You, too, @Layla, enjoy your evening.
 
Hi, I deleted my earlier post and am home now after working from 5 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. during our special election. It's been an eventful day, and the best part were the two heaters provided by building maintenance. While checking in voters I sat for most of the day, walked around a little, and enjoyed the heat that was near my op knee. The earlier slip against the wall yielded some muscle pain so I put Arnicare on my thigh and took Advil. We all worked together and covered for each other during breaks. I'm grateful for the work today and am glad to be home.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom