TKR TRKR 10/13/23 - Moving Forward with Many Detours

It sure sounds like a typical minor soft tissue injury from automatically bracing yourself during the slip.

Our implants are tough and if you’d in some way messed it up you’d be way more symptomatic!

If it’s truly concerning, yes, follow up with your ortho for an xray to set your mind at ease.

I think a bit of time, the arnica, icing, and your OTC pain reliever of choice will resolve things.
 
Ugh, so sorry about that misstep, dubloosh! Thankfully you didn't hurt yourself even worse. I'd ice to keep any inflammation down along with the OTC pain reliever. Personally, I wouldn't get an x-ray unless the pain increases in intensity or frequency. I hope you feel better in the morning. :thumb:
 
I agree that no x-ray is needed at this point. If I’m reading your post correctly, you just slipped and caught yourself. Problems that need medical intervention usually involve an impact, like actually having a fall and landing on your joint.
 
Good morning, and thank you @mendogal @Layla and @Jamie. I'm grateful I didn't fall. A little sore this morning near - of al places - my pubic bone on that (left) side and am icing it now. You're right about the xray; I'm walking and moving around OK. Today I pick up the medrol pack to start tomorrow morning and have to stopibuprofen for the duration yet can continue with acetaminophen. To distract myself I'm baking the box of brownies I meant to bake last weekend. Comfort food. :hugzz:
 
To distract myself I'm baking the box of brownies I meant to bake last weekend. Comfort food. :hugzz:
Mm mm good!

I am happy to read you're icing and moving around this morning. Take it easy and keep up with the icing and OTC meds as needed and you should be GOLDEN! :yes: Three months to date since your last procedure, just noticed.
Enjoy the brownies!
 
Well . . . thank you @Layla for your encouraging words. My left (hip implant) leg is doing great. I stood and made brownies earlier yet had to throw them out because while butter can be substituted for oil in cooking, apparently it doesn't work for brownies. I'll buy oil tomorrow. The kitchen smells good; the brownies looked unrecognizable.

I hadn't realized it's three months since scar tissue removal as each day is different. It's the knee leg that is painful, starting in my back to my tush cheek, down the outside of my pelvic bone and to my knee. I'm tired of pain and sometimes regret having the second procedure as I want to feel good again. The doctor who ordered this (not ortho surgeon) is keen on finding the solution.
 
Boy, I’m not sure what happened with your brownies, but I’ve used melted butter for boxed brownies before and it worked fine. It just made them richer tasting and a bit less like cake. Too bad….when a person needs chocolate, you NEED chocolate!!! I would have been right there with a big spoon just scooping them out…. :rotfl:
 
Hi @Jamie I wish they were edible. They burned around the edges with the middle resembling molten lava. I suppose it would have been OK to keep baking, then let them cool; I was worried about the butter continuing to bubble while waiting for the insides to cook since I'd added two eggs. I have my stash of dark chocolate here and felt like baking. Oil is on my next shopping list.

The tendon of my left leg near my knee - had gotten a cortisone injection there a few months ago and am leery of getting another in that area - is painful today as is my op knee and its lateral area due to the damp, nasty weather. Summer rain is calm and sweet; winter rain is a reason to curl up indoors with a blanket (fresh from the laundry) and a heating pad for good measure. Skipping the MRI - rescheduled - and staying put as there's nothing I urgently need.
 
It's strange how our body reacts to a slip, misstep, or fall. I understand your muscle tenderness in a different area today. A few weeks ago I fell and landed on my left side on a hard floor, (I always seem to protect my right knee!). Anyway, other than some soreness and bruising on that left side, I was OK. Well, I thought so. After about a week, my right side from the hip down past my right knee was extremely painful. Why, when I hit with my left side. My OS explained it as this: the floor acted as a brace for my left side, but my right side had nothing to brace it and my soft tissues suffered from being pulled out of their normal range. I was shocked, but it made sense.

I think as you rest and recuperate from your stressful, cold job last week, you will begin to feel better again.

Sorry about your brownies. The way I love chocolate, I probably would have eaten them anyway!
 
Sorry about your brownies. The way I love chocolate, I probably would have eaten them anyway!
Same! :heehee:
Right out of the oven, even if the center was like chocolate molten lava...right over the top of a scoop of vanilla.
Yummy! We could have had a party, ladies! Even if only virtual. :wink:
 
Oh no, I'm sorry you were hurt @sistersinhim and hope you're feeling better and continue to heal. Thank you for sharing what happened as I understand and relate it to what happened Tuesday. Years ago and pre implants, if I bumped something, it hurt, yet I didn't think twice. You're right, rest is helping.

Another reason the brownies failed is the pan size was oblong instead of square. Somewhere I read they count as a separate food group. Trying again this weekend.
 
Sorry about your brownies. The way I love chocolate, I probably would have eaten them anyway!
Same! :heehee:
Right out of the oven, even if the center was like chocolate molten lava...right over the top of a scoop of vanilla.
Yummy! We could have had a party, ladies! Even if only virtual. :wink:
What a delicious and fun idea! :happydance:
 
Happy Saturday and day-after Valentine's Day. :loveshwr: Yesterday was errands and emails so I had other things to focus on besides me. Maybe it was psychological that I felt better in the afternoon (took the first dose of the medrol pack with breakfast). By evening my quad and thigh pain were gone, and I felt almost like I did months ago. They missed me so much they came back today; a heating pad is helping. Both my grandmas predicted the weather; now I can, too. :heehee: Best to get up and out to focus on the day. Enjoy the weekend!
 
Last edited:
Glad you had a little relief. You are right that it helps to do things that take your mind to other places besides pain. Hope you can do more of that throughout the weekend.
 
@dubloosh Happy to hear you might be feeling some relief. This stuff comes and goes in waves and there's not always a rhyme or reason. I also agree that keeping yourself occupied and not concentrating on the pain is really helpful. Even if its just binge watching your favorite silly tv show.

I'm taking advantage today as hubby is out for most of it to watch my stupid people shows as he calls them. My daughter in law and I watch the same ones and giggle over the silliness. Whatever works and laughter definitely helps! :heehee:
 
Both my grandmas predicted the weather; now I can, too. :heehee:
You have built in barometers. :wink:

I agree that keeping the mind / body occupied seems to minimize pain, or at least it's a good distraction.
Have a nice Sunday!
 
Thank you @Jamie and @Elf1. It started snowing late this afternoon so I abandoned plans for errands and came home to watch television (no news). You're right, sometimes it's one thing, then it's another. Tonight is some fun if you're Saturday Night Live fans: the first-ever episode from 1975 hosted by the late George Carlin airs tonight at 11:30 p.m. EST, and tomorrow is its special 50th anniversary show. I may take a nap to be sure I see it.

Speaking of naps and favorite shows, years ago mom and I sometimes watched Craig Ferguson (The Late Late Show). Dad went to sleep early, and we'd nap until it was on. It was very funny, sometimes off-color.

Thank you @Layla, and you, too.
 
I didn’t know about the SNL rerun of the first show. I used to love SNL….now, not so much. I’ll be sure and watch. Thanks!
 
Both my grandmas predicted the weather; now I can, too. :heehee:
My knee, which doesn’t like to do anything normal, reacts after we’ve had a weather event, not before. A friend once told me that instead of being a predictor, my knee is a reporter! :rotfl:
 
Tonight is some fun if you're Saturday Night Live fans: the first-ever episode from 1975 hosted by the late George Carlin airs tonight at 11:30 p.m
I missed it! Some of those old SNL's were the best. I did see Cher online yesterday singing one of her old hits "If I Could Turn Back Time" at a party celebrating SNL's 50yr anniversary on Friday evening. At 78 she looks good! I'm sure there's been a lot of nipping and tucking, but she had on the same slinky outfit she wore in the song video back in the day and her body looked almost as good as it did back then.
Good genes, or starvation...I don't know. :heehee: :wink: Maybe a combo of both.

Aaah....speaking of turning back time. If only we could and not need our fake hips and knees wouldn't it be wonderful?!! I guess we shouldn't complain since we've had the blessing of a second opportunity which in the not so recent past wasn't available to those suffering the pain of ostearthritis. And...we'd miss the good fortune of communicating with people all over the world as we're able to do here. We're like adult pen pals, lol.

Have a great day and week, dubloosh! Thanks for sharing your journey here. :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom