TKR TRKR 10/13/23 - Moving Forward with Many Detours

Thank you @Layla, and you, too.

Sorry I didn't post further in advance. @Jamie. Last night wasn't worth it. Though George Carlin was very funny, some of the skits fell flat. It was the first show, though, so I grant them that. Cher's had so much nipping and tucking that her face doesn't move. I want to age naturally and be able to smile and frown without chemicals preventing that.

The show's 50th anniversary celebration is on tonight at 8 p.m. EST and includes original cast and newcomers. I'm sad many of them passed away prematurely.

Today is the worst pain of all. It's day three of the medrol pack, which hasn't touched my back pain. I emailed the doctor to ask if I can take ibuprofen and if the cyst on the bottom of my spine can be drained surgically. Never has a series of epidurals not provided relief, and they were only two weeks ago. I apologize for whining here; pain is no fun. I can't tell if pain from my back is affecting the lateral side of my knee or if it's my knee. This is new to have pain in so many areas. I just want relief, and the ortho doc was no help. A second opinion would mean starting over; however, I think it must be from my spine as it travels down the outside of my leg to my ankle.
 
Ugh. I am so sorry. It sounds like you're in misery.
I hope the doctor has some advice that will bring you speedy relief. If you aren't able to catch a break soon it may be worthwhile to get a second opinion so you're able to resolve the issue and hopefully live pain free. :console2:
@dubloosh
 
Thank you @Layla. There must be a reason for this though it baffles me, and I would like to understand it. Took the first positive step and emailed the head of spine surgery at our local hospital (hip and knee were replaced there) and asked for an appointment. Hope he has a nonsurgical solution.
 
I apologize for whining here; pain is no fun.
Don't apologise. Back pain is the pits.
I can't tell if pain from my back is affecting the lateral side of my knee or if it's my knee. This is new to have pain in so many areas.
I remember that feeling of just not being able to tell what was causing what and not being able to get on top of the back pain/ sciatica. I am really sorry you are going through this. It's miserable when all your joints seem to play up at the same time. I hope you can get some answers and relief soon.
 
I watched the show last night and I agree it may have been the SNL beginning, but it certainly wasn’t their best. It was fun to see George Carlin and Chevy Chase again. They were always two of my favorites. I’d rather see some old shows with Goldie Hawn. She was always so cute and funny.

If you decide to see someone for your spine (and I think you should), I’d recommend that you consult with a neurosurgeon rather than an orthopedic surgeon, unless you definitely know the expertise of a particular orthopedic surgeon. Spinal treatments and surgeries can be very tricky and it’s been my experience that the neurosurgeons tend to be a little more skilled, probably because the frequently must deal with difficult areas such as brain surgery and spinal surgery in the uppermost vertebrae.
 
I remember that feeling of just not being able to tell what was causing what and not being able to get on top of the back pain/ sciatica. I am really sorry you are going through this. It's miserable when all your joints seem to play up at the same time. I hope you can get some answers and relief soon.
The back pain at this level is new to me @EalingGran. It's also distracting. Because I've been off NSAIDs for the past three days. I looked up prednisone again, which is working miracles on my left hand basal joint and doing nothing for my back. When taken for lumbar radiculopathy, which I have, it can improve function and worsen pain before it improves. I'm torn between stopping it and going back to ibuprofen and acetaminophen or continuing it. Needless to say, I'm disappointed the doctor didn't tell me about a possible initial flare up (similar to a cortisone injection, which I've experienced) or that it may not help.
 
Last edited:
That is frustrating, but it underscores what we tell patients all the time. In today’s medical world, a person needs to be their own advocate. This means asking a lot of questions and doing research about anything that is proposed. Good for you for doing the research. Given what you’ve said about this being a flare before things improve, I would hope you’ll give it a chance to make things better. It’s never a good idea to stop prednisone cold turkey, so please don’t even consider doing that. You must step down from this very powerful medication.
 
I watched the show last night and I agree it may have been the SNL beginning, but it certainly wasn’t their best. It was fun to see George Carlin and Chevy Chase again. They were always two of my favorites. I’d rather see some old shows with Goldie Hawn. She was always so cute and funny.

If you decide to see someone for your spine (and I think you should), I’d recommend that you consult with a neurosurgeon rather than an orthopedic surgeon, unless you definitely know the expertise of a particular orthopedic surgeon. Spinal treatments and surgeries can be very tricky and it’s been my experience that the neurosurgeons tend to be a little more skilled, probably because the frequently must deal with difficult areas such as brain surgery and spinal surgery in the uppermost vertebrae.
@Jamie the 50th anniversary special is on tonight from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. and may be more interesting. Was Goldie on SNL? I forgot and remember her from Laugh-In. We were glued to the television Monday nights.

Thank you for your good advice about surgical specialty, which I appreciate. Since I contacted the spine surgeon I'll wait to hear from him office and ask lots of questions, then shall contact the neurosurgey department. I've been at this point before: when the injections stop working, then it's time to move forward.
 
Oh, you’re right….it was Laugh In and not Saturday Night Live. We had so many good shows to watch!
 
Yes, @Jamie, we did. I watched the SNL special tonight and was half-disappointed. Lots of time spent on singing and silly skits. If I was impatient, then I wonder how the audience felt. The Q & A at the beginning was clever; I thought there would be more of those before the skits began. It was good to see some of the cast old-timers again.

While it makes no sense to second-guess, I'd like to learn from what happened before. The lateral part of my knee feels tight, and when I bend it earlier I hear crackling. My heart sank as it means that horrid scar tissue is back. What is a good way to break it up? My ROM was 130 when I had the second procedure; however, walking downstairs was so painful I had to do one foot, one step unless the steps were shallow. Now I can walk down steps and don't understand why it's so tight. My surgeon was not helpful. I searched this forum and read others used rollers. Might that help to prevent it from further forming? Thanks.
 
That is frustrating, but it underscores what we tell patients all the time. In today’s medical world, a person needs to be their own advocate. This means asking a lot of questions and doing research about anything that is proposed. Good for you for doing the research. Given what you’ve said about this being a flare before things improve, I would hope you’ll give it a chance to make things better. It’s never a good idea to stop prednisone cold turkey, so please don’t even consider doing that. You must step down from this very powerful medication.
I'm sorry I didn't see your note until now. I only have three days left: three pills, then two, then one, and each is 4 mg. It's only recently that the pain is down my leg to my ankle. My calf has been tingling the past few days. I hope the spine surgeon's office contacts me tomorrow for an appointment as the pain management regime has ceased helping me. Just took acetaminophen.
 
Last edited:
Hi hi better day. Earlier I met someone I know who asked about my knee. I said slow going, and then he said he had back surgery some weeks ago and still has problems. I felt badly for him and said I hope he feels better. "They're doctors and don't perform miracles," he said. I shall remember that. Positive news is I have an appointment with the spine surgeon next week and was instructed to ask for a CD of the MRI report when I'm there so the doctor can read it. I feel better already.
 
Last edited:
That’s progress. Good! Keep those positive thoughts!!!! It helps.
 
That’s progress. Good! Keep those positive thoughts!!!! It helps.
:SUNsmile: Doing my best @Jamie and thank you. This afternoon I took matters into my own hands again and called a different Burke location and asked about scar tissue. My surgeon was no help, and I'm disappointed at his weak answers. I feel and hear scar tissue in another area and want to break it up before it hardens further. Tomorrow I'm going to call another surgeon for a second knee opinion. While he sees another doctor's patients after a full year has passed post op, one year did pass yet I had scar tissue removed. I'm not sure if that will influence his decision to see me. Certainly, the spine doctor's office was happy I'm having the MRI this week so I can bring current test results to my appointment next week. In between doing this I priced name tags and welcome signs for our high school reunion. Making progress.
 
I’m so glad you made that appointment and that the diagnostic work up is proceeding apace @dubloosh - you’re dealing with such a complex series of issues but continuing to advocate for yourself really well.
 
Thank you @mendogal I wish this was for something fun, like getting the best price on a vacation. I'm looking for another opinion, not more surgery or medication. What I'd like is to find a sturdy under-desk peddler so I could keep my knee moving. That and a few weeks in a warm climate. :swim:
 
I hear you loud and clear! ((hug))
 
Do you have a rocking chair? Rocking would work the same as a peddler, I think. Another option is to put a plastic shopping bag under your feet and slide that back and forth. Any type of movement like that will help.
 
Good morning and (((((hugs))))) to everyone. Thank you @mendogal and @sistersinhim for the suggestion. I have my papa's (mom's dad) rocking chair from so many years ago that I was unable to fit into it. I'll put a pillow on it as it's quite low. Have to keep my legs moving.

Last night I was massaging some scar tissue below and around the outside of my kneecap. It doesn't impede walking, stairs or moving; I wanted to release it. Thought I was doing something good yet this morning I have pain on the outside of my knee and the lower part of my quad. Though I wasn't rough and was gentle, I likely aggravated this again. One step forward and two backward. Will movement soften the crinkling sound? Castor oil, comfrey salve, have a mini store here. :heehee:
 
Time will be the best thing to take care of that crinkling sound. It’s pretty typical with knees. Don’t try to exercise it away. It’s just your soft tissues readjusting themselves after surgery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom