TKR Trailspud Recovery thread

The school year is about to end...for me a busy one. Still walking brisk at a sub-12/5+mph pace once or twice a week for 7-8 miles. I'm looking forward to the high country this summer.
 
Great to hear you are doing so well, thanks for the updates. I know you had a rough recovery from the second TKR. :hiking:
 
Great to hear you are doing so well, thanks for the updates. I know you had a rough recovery from the second TKR. :hiking:
Rougher than I should have...but, despite my part in recovery #2, other than more limited ROM, I'm doing well. This will be my first summer of freedom in some time.
 
@Jaycey ; @RestAssured
Thanks for the tagged replies. I just got back from my first outside cycling since I
blew my knee up post 2nd TKR last June. Maybe this summer I'll finally fall in love with cycling, but then again?? It is nice to be outside on a perfect day...mixed sunny w/light clouds and a just right upper 70s temp.
 
@skigirl
I see from reading others' threads, where you sometimes comment, you are doing well. I hope you are enjoying this Northern Rockies spring.
 
This year was the five year and four year anniversary of my knees---when I first came on Bonesmart and read about folks with knees five or six years old, I would think--at least there is hope!!

I enjoy the spring very much---I have been hiking in Glacier with snow shoes, biking in the Flathead valley and a lot of gardening. I am stiff in the am, but I have osteo and am 70 years old!! But, really, my life is full right now. I have been teaching skiing for the past 17 years, but this year I am going to work as a volunteer coach for the Big Mountain ski club---I want to do more volunteer stuff right now. I am thinking a year of service and then see how things look to me.

I am looking forward to a new phase in my life---and yes, I love the beauty of Montana and the clear, blue skies of the western US!!
 
@skigirl
70 is the new 55...or something like that. I'm glad to hear you are doing so well. I didn't snowshoe like I wanted to this past winter, but I have to drive 90mts. or longer...next winter. I have a cousin with a place in Whitefish and would love to visit the area, but he is in Alaska for work (construction). Going to the Colorado Rockies in July and hope to spend quite a few days in Idaho's Sawtooth Range starting very soon. I read you are hiking long every week, cycling, and golfing. I'm sort of with Mark Twain and Ramblin' Jack Elliot when it comes to golf, but I know it's lots of fun.
 
First hike of the summer today...about 13.5 miles in 3:20 with a good 3,000' of climbing. I have been walking 1-2*week on the flats (7-8 miles) and about the same uphill on the treadmill (2.5-3.5m), but this was my first hike in two months. It was tougher than expected. I took a route with a steeper pitch and I'm just not used to it. I turned around a mile earlier than planned...it was too warm and I was fatigued. I felt better after a couple miles of descent with a nice ridge line breeze cooling my sweat soaked shirt. So, a little later, i dropped my pack and poles and did a few (5) short uphill runs (one minute max.)...walking back down to my gear. My knees felt great. I have done a few 40-50 yard jogs when walking on the flats, but have felt awkward. Running uphill felt very natural. For now, I'll just hike and get get my distance range up (and be thankful for it), but if I drop that extra 30lbs I'm still carrying, maybe I will eventually be able to do some shorter trail runs.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Another great update!
Thanks so much for responding when I tag you for the custom implants.
 
@trailspud ,

Great report! I am glad you are doing so well! I will be speed walking 13.1 miles in the Houston marathon with @RunA42K! I have started training already and I will be ready!:happydance:
 
I think you were smart to turn back when fatigued---that is how I train too. I hike until I want to stop and then turn back--eventually, I am going up the mountains, but there is no need to push yourself early in the season. Age does help with these decisions!!!!
 
It was a warm (hot while climbing) sunny day...first time climbing in the heat. Yes, it's always smart to live to fight another day. I'll try this route again soon, but will start earlier in the morning (instead of at noon).

Edit: Today I did a little shorter hike...about 9 miles...it was cooler today so much easier going uphill on steep sections, but my quads were sore from 2 days ago...not used to steeper downhills. Good news is my knees did well. No swelling. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
1st hike in the higher country today. Knees were fine even on some steep descents. I did three main climb w/the longest 1,600' feet gain and the others half or less of that. I was out just over 4 hours and was close to 14 miles. Some of the climbs were a lot harder than I remember, but it was a beautiful afternoon in the mountains. I need to do more of this.
 
Sounds like a wonderful day!

Glad to hear how well your knees are doing



Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Will post again when I go a leap longer. A little swelling perhaps in the knees, but to be expected.

Thanks @Pumpkln

Edit: Next day more swelling in right knee...didn't ice it much yesterday unlike left. But, I expected some swelling...some of the descents were steep (ski slope).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] Trailspud Recovery thread
Running the last 150 meters up Shafer Butte during a day hike...dropped the poles and day pack...need to drop 30 lbs., but a fun day w/older daughter who ran at times while I hiked.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom