Guest viewing is limited

TKR Trailspud Recovery thread

Good update. It sounds like it took us both about the same time to recover from tendon issues from antibiotic. I hope to be hiking soon and have been enjoying exercising and even danced a lot at a Mardi Gras party last night. It just keeps getting better. Enjoy that spring hiking.
 
Hey, trailspud.....good to hear from you. It sounds like you're doing just fine. Slow and steady...that will get the job done for you. Keep up the good work and let us hear from you again!
 
@Jamie
Thanks. I have been a bit lazy as well as cautious. But, I'm ready for some day long adventures. Not sure what my goals are for 2014, but if all goes well, I'll plan some bigger ones for 2015.
 
That's the spirit!!! Let your new knees take you wherever they can and enjoy life! You're about the same length of time out from your second TKR as I am. Like you, my newest knee is finally starting to feel like it's going to be strong and good. I'm looking forward to doing more this spring and summer!!! Last year was such a bust.
 
@trailspud
Enjoying that new avatar trailspud. Was that taken after your first or second TKR?
Great reading your report; sounds like life post TKRs agrees with you.


If 2014 goes well, and if I can do some 20-30 mile days in the high country
Would that be several overnight hikes or day hikes? Either way, sounds like a good workout. How do you condition for those hikes?

I've taken smaller hikes, like 2 -10 miles, but haven't tackled longer hikes; still have one knee that some day will have a replacement and doesn't like overdoing it.
 
Good report---I am happy to hear that things are still improving--puts the lie to the"six week window" doesn't it.
 
@trailspud
Enjoying that new avatar trailspud. Was that taken after your first or second TKR?
Great reading your report; sounds like life post TKRs agrees with you.



Would that be several overnight hikes or day hikes? Either way, sounds like a good workout. How do you condition for those hikes?

I've taken smaller hikes, like 2 -10 miles, but haven't tackled longer hikes; still have one knee that some day will have a replacement and doesn't like overdoing it.

Snowshoe pic avatar is from around Christmas this winter...after 2nd TKR.

Well, I'll just have to see, but cardio-wise, a hike of 30 miles in a single day should not be an issue. I am starting to walk fast outside again. Avg. of 5mph for 7 miles walking today on flat ground. I'm looking forward to hitting the hills soon. The knees feel good so I hope for no issues.
 
Good report---I am happy to hear that things are still improving--puts the lie to the"six week window" doesn't it.

Still getting a little more bend. We have new spin bike at the gym I go to. Got another one-half inch lower today. Despite, the flare up I had early in recovery, I am getting a bit more bend gradually.
 
Yesterday, I bought my first pair of running shoes since 1999. I'm only walking w/no plans to try running, but I did get inspired to walk briskly two days in a row after two weeks of only gym exercise. The shoes are from a newer company (Altra) and they are one of those new era max. cushioned, zero heel drop, and forefoot leaning type shoe. I really like them: 6+ miles yesterday and 5+ today @5mph/12mts./mile all on flat ground and largely on a rough dirt ditchbank or old cinder track. I do feel less muscle fatigue wearing the new shoes and the amount of cushioning is crazy...hardly feel any foot strike impact at all. My weight is up 15+ lbs. from that long Thanksgiving to Super Bowl holiday season...so I am hoping to walk faster and much longer as I get my body mass to where it should be and as the days grow longer and warmer.
 
Sounds like you are on the right track. 30 min of walking a day will make a difference--sounds like you are doing better than that. Take things slowly, no need to rush!!
 
Love those super cushioned, zero drop shoes. Last two walks were 7-8 miles and both at 11:45 m/m. Now, I still need that holiday 20 lbs plus a bit more off.
 
@trailspud
Thanks for the recommendation on the running (post TKR "walking") shoes; will take a look at them. Sounds like the 20 lbs will be off in no time. :)
 
@1ELISEA
A link to the shoes I am walking in appears below. Hoka Ones are the other brand I am aware of with similar designs. Basically, you have a ton of cushioning and no drop from heel to forefoot. You are almost forced to land midfoot or farther forward. I walk on a rough ditch bank and have no stability issues. I am going to hike this week and will post an update after.


broken link removed: https://www.altrarunning.com/fitness/en/Altra/Men/olympus-men
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Cool!
And the women's come in fluorescent pink
! :)
broken link removed: https://www.altrarunning.com/fitness/en/Altra/Women/olympus-women
 
@1ELISEA
Sexy pink. What more do you want?

Hey, I am not up on your recovery. Ankle issues as I recall?
 
Yeah, sexy pink, lol.

Thanks for asking, ankle is doing pretty well. It took keeping it immobilized for 6 weeks and wrapped for several months to heal. There is still permanent damage to the tendons, but as long as I don't do anything crazy I avoid surgery on it. :thumb:
 
ONE YEAR (almost) out from 2nd TKR:
Went for my first spring hike today in Boise's Hulls Gulch. I was out for 3 hours and 3 mts and covered about 12.5 mile with a 2,000' climb and descent. I took poles which slowed me a bit, but I wanted to use them for the descent to maybe help my bionic knees a bit even though it's not a real steep trail. I also carried a light pack...about 7 lbs. ...more than I needed, but I wanted to feel like I was on a hike not a walk. It was a beautiful day, a little windy, but the trail is usually sheltered a bit...really nice to be outside and moving. I walked briskly, but didn't push so I hope I wake up tomorrow without any swelling.

Evening update: No additional swelling so far; hope it stays that way tonight.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ONE YEAR Anniversary today for my LTKR :
I should have gone for a hike...weather is perfect; Sunny 70F..., but a late night followed by a long day at work and I'm resting a bit after dinner before heading to the gym. I came out of my hike 3 days ago w/o any additional swelling and I'm thankful for that. I think I will be able to progress as hoped for this spring/summer.
 
Excellent report, you had a few detours with both knees, Great to hear after a year it is all sorted out and you have your active life back!
 
@Pumpkln
You have had some detours, too and I hope they soon end. Just back from the gym and sitting on the porch at 9pm MST...still a little light in the western sky and 61F...the summer can't be far off.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom