Guest viewing is limited

TKR Trailspud Recovery thread

@Bustario

"I was thinking about doing a 2.5 mile walk around an old estate tomorrow. Just mulling it over in my mind. While I am concerned about doing too much I am more worried about taking a stumble even though this is really more of a walk in the country than a real hike with el. gain. Were you worried the first time back out there on the trails?"

Don't worry about falling. While I have avoided falling, so far, walking on the slick icy streets of my neighborhood, today on showshoes I fell a few times...once I shoulder tucked and rolled over like a somersault (it was almost fun). I don't think you can hurt yourself at walking pace absent some freak situation which could happen almost anytime. I suppose a crash cycling or skiing at a high speed could cause implant damage, but I wouldn't worry about it. Get out and enjoy (but, at 11 weeks, not too much).
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Trailspud Recovery thread
    upload_2013-12-27_19-40-51.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 165
Last edited by a moderator:
Woot! Snowpack in the Cascades also lousy, but I'm just as happy not having to deal with any snow/ice in the Willamette Valley during early recovery, thankyouverymuch.
So pleased you're out doing what you love again. I wonder whether some heavy duty quad and hamstring stretch work would help your ROM. Who knows?
 
It is so hard to walk this time of year. There is a small enclosed mall nearby that opens at 7 a.m. just for walkers. No shoppers as the stores do not open until ten. Most are cardiac patients but anyone healthy or not can walk. I am almost 3 weeks out from tkr but am looking forward to just a short walk - all on level ground. If you get tired there are lots of benches to sit on and I think it will help with my stamina. I am also a camper who loved to walk until the last two years which the knees made it impossible. I cannot wait until spring/summer to get back to doing what I love - simply walking in the woods! Continued healing in the new year!
 
We have to travel to the lake to do any hiking. My hubby is not a fan, and as I look around and see all the beautiful wildlife, I keep thinking about going on a hike. I want to head back to Ruidosa or Colorado where I can really get some hiking in!
 
Day after no additional swelling. I'm hoping for more snow soon, but I think I will stay on or near the trail systems this winter...probably no off-trail peak climbing until I'm more fit. Gym shape is not winter mountain shape.

@RestAssured ...you can't make your husband do things he does not enjoy, but maybe you can trick him in to liking it sometime (hiking). If not, no reason to stop you.

@Jozilla ...don't overdo too early, my big mistake, but the mall plan sounds good. Hope you can get started at the proper time and it all goes well.

@pdx ...best wishes on the recent #2. I can understand your weather preferences. I talk to my PT every so often as his office is inside my gym. He has given me some suggestions. I have enough flex to cycle although I have to keep the seat well elevated. I'm slowly working on it, but I think when I see my doc in a few months that he may indicate some procedure to gain flexion. I can feel the thicker lateral soft tissue, and I'm pretty sure I have some adhesions which are the main cause. For now, I'm just hoping for more snow above 5,000'.
 
No, I know I can't, but he likes riding snowmobiles! Maybe I can hike while he snowmobiles!:yahoo:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Trailspud Recovery thread
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Trailspud Recovery thread
bottomshollow
 
We finally got more snow in the mountains. I'm hoping to get up into the Boise Mtns. tomorrow (Sunday) for a few hours of snowshoeing, but church and the Denver Broncos are also in play. Watching the Patriots-Chiefs game and hoping to see the winner in Denver next week.
 
I think you mean the Patroits-Colts game! :wink: I hope you get the chance to hike! I told my husband I am ready to start going places and hiking and walking! :happydance:
 
Oh well, just a mental thing, no biggie! :heehee:

I am rooting for Denver to win the Super Bowl! Peyton Manning has been my favorite for a long time!
 
I am rooting for D..... to win the Super Bowl!
That will never happen!!! Seahawks all the way, baby! :happydance: How could anyone ever bet against Russell Wilson, the man is a saint as well as an incredible player. :angel: :SUNsmile: And don't get me started on the defensive line. :yes: :yes!:

(Meant in a lighthearted way. :))
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@trailspud
Good to hear from you. Sounds like the mountains are beautiful. I'd enjoy mountains in the winter if they weather cooperated and wasn't so cold. Brrrrr......
Give me a beach and sunshine!
 
Still not sure why I tapped in Chiefs tonight, but I suppose I was distracted. I love the playoffs. Would not mind a Seattle-Denver Super Bowl, but lots to be played before that.
 
True, True, but I would LOVE to see the Bronchos Run Wild over the Seahawks! Bring it on @1ELISEA! :rotfl:

I'm a big girl and I can handle a little friendly bantering!

@trailspud , who would you root for out of the teams remaining to make it to the Super Bowl?:happydance:
 
Good to hear from you @trailspud Are you recovered from the effects of the Levaquin? It sounds like you're doing great and enjoying life after TKR. Yeah!!!!!

Dorothy
 
@RestAssured
I didn't sleep well last night, have some school work to do before finals week, skipped the snowshoe trip and went to church early to be able to watch the games today.

I'll be for Denver as long as they are in it. My dad was born on a dairy farm in Boulder and Colorado has always been dear to me. My dad had Parkinson's Disease and lived with us the last years of his life. We (together) finally got to see the Broncos win a Super Bowl in 1998 (still my favorite game ever even above the Boise State Fiesta Bowl win in 2007).

In the 1980s-1990s I did a lot of trail running in Utah. My favorite race was the Wasatch 100. One of my Utah running buddies, who also came to races I put on in Idaho, is the father-in-law of Mike McCoy (Sand Diego's head coach). I met him once when he was still in college...nice guy. I have always liked the Chargers since the Dan Fouts and later Junior Seau days...too bad they have been in Denver's division forever.

We Boise State fans have a great admiration for San Francisco's Colin Kapernick . In 2010, some bad calls, weird bounces, a magical second half for the Nevada seniors, and of course missed field goals along with Kap's play cost our Boise State team a possible shot at the national title (I really think we would have beat Auburn in Jan. 2011). After watching him carve up NFL defenses these past two seasons, it helps take the sting away that lingers. If San Francisco gets past Carolina, I'll root for them. Okay, her's my order of preferences as of Sunday morning: 1) Denver, 2) San Francisco, 3) San Diego, 4) Seattle, 5-6) Carolina/New England.

@1ELISEA
Russel Wilson is a likable guy. I root for the Sounders and I remember being in Seattle when the Supersonics won the title in 1979 (still can't believe they're gone).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
All this football talk...my husband is glued to the playoffs. Houston Texans embarrassing performance this season has two bright sides. We got a new coach from Penn State and we get first pick in the draft. I hope NOT "Johnny Football Manzel!"
 
We have a great hiking club here in the Cleveland area, and a huge Metropark system as well as a nice National Park in which to hike---I arranged for members of the club to come to the school and talk to all of the faculty on our wellness day for the past several years. While I am not into hiking myself, I often see them as I am cycling by them---often times I will stop and talk with them at mutual rest stops!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom