Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

3 weeks post op today. I would never had believed I would be doing so well after surgery this go round since they had to remove everything and clean up my knee and then try to put it all back together again. I can walk without my cane without much of a limp. I take my can with me though because my stamina is not very good yet. I have long periods when I have no pain at all and only take pain meds maybe once or twice a day. My flexion is already past 100 and I was only 95 before surgery. Im not sure why I am doing so well. I think it's a combination of the power of prayer and a highly skilled surgeon. I hope everyone has a good day as we journey towards a full recovery without arthritic pain.
 
You're doing very well, Marian. That's so good to hear! :yes!::yay:

It's a good idea to keep using the cane until you lose the limp, even though you don't need it for support. Even when I no longer needed the cane, i still used it outside, in wet weather, or when going where there could be crowds. It's a useful sign to others that you need a little more consideration and it's great for warding off rushing people and dogs. :dogwalk: :doggie:
 
So nice to hear that you're doing well. Sounds like you had a good shopping trip with your daughter. It feels so good when you can start to enjoy these things again. Sometimes I also get sore after a couple of hours of activity, but as long as we ice & elevate later I think we'll be OK. Glad you had s good surgeon this time.
 
Sounds like you are doing great. Having the right surgeon sure makes a difference, and all the prayers surely were heard. I agree with others that using the cane for awhile is a good idea.

My tkr was in September and I still ice every night. It seems to help if I've done a lot of walking. This journey we are on is a long one, and appears to be different for each of us. What remains the same is the support,suggestions and caring that can be found here.

Have a great day


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well I visited the ODIC yesterday afternoon. My PT had me doing exercises that I knew that I shouldn't be doing because of how much stress it put on my knee (squats, lunges, going up on my toes, etc) but I did it anyway because I was not feeling any pain AT THE TIME! :bignono: Well the remainder of the day I had lots of pain and muscle cramping and it was hard to get it under control. I spent the evening and all through the night elevating with my ice machine running and taking my meds. :elevate: I'm stiff today with a swollen knee and I've done very little activity. I go to OS office to see the PA and I have to ask for another refill of meds. I'm hoping that won't be a problem at all. The thing is I knew better but that old school mentality of hard work will help you get better faster just went into autopilot. :headbang: I've got to get those thoughts out of my mind.
 
Sorry you overdid it. The good part is that now at least you know what go do to feel better again. I'm sure you won't be doing that again for awhile. Happens to all of us it seems, even though we know better. Hope you're able to rest,ice,elevate and recuperate tonight.☺
 
Lesson learned, Marian? No more squats, lunges or toe raises for you.

I know the old thinking kicks in very easily, but try to remember that it isn't exercise that brings back your ROM. It's time, healing, gentle treatment, and reduction of swelling.
You can't do anything to speed up your recovery, but doing too much could slow it down. Since you're doing so well now, don't fall into that trap.

You've probably seen these before, but here are a few articles for you:
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Knee recovery - Lose the Work Ethic!!
Life in the slow lane
Lose the Work Ethic While You Are Recovering!
What You Should Not Expect To Do After a TKR


Sorry to hammer it home with so much for you to read! :heehee:
I hope it helps, though.
 
Understand how that can happen with PT.
Therapist asks you to do the exercise and at the time you think "this doesn't hurt and she/he really isn't working me all that hard" and then.......BAM! Your knee swells and all the associated muscles are screaming in pain. It is sometimes hard to know when to draw the line but our knee quickly reminds us.
Glad to see you had a nice outing and time with your daughter this past weekend.
 
Thank you for your encouraging comments on my thread. I have been following your thread and think you're doing amazingly well. You sound like me with the pt. We just have to remember slow and steady wins the race.

Dorothy
 
We just have to remember slow and steady wins the race.
And then there's this:
[Bonesmart.org] Totally recovered at last!
and this:
[Bonesmart.org] Totally recovered at last!
 
Calle I love both of those sayings. My therapist was great and went slow and easy. However, now that I'm done and on my own I tend to push that little extra thinking it will help. Tonight I'm sitting with heat on my neck because I go to senior exercise class, and tried to do some of the neck exercises at home. You know, just a little more bend or twist. I need to forget the old adage of no pain no gain, and remember your pics.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had a very long day. I was out for almost 6 hours. I first had an appointment at the OS office. They took Xrays before I saw the PA. The PA brought up my old Xrays and new ones side by side. She actually gasped when she saw the old one that showed my patella way off track. I never saw a more beautiful picture in all my life of my kneecap sitting perfectly where it is supposed to be. :yes!: My new knee has much longer stems to hold them in place. No cement was used this time. It is a DuPuy and the stems are in a step like patterns and both ends look like little 'claws'. She told me this gives spaces for the bone to grow into it. I'll have to get a copy of the Xrays. I also got a prescription for another 2 weeks of the Oxycodone and also Zofran. I walked over to the PT department and set up a visit for next week. They do have hydrotherapy classes there so I'll be looking into that too. Then back into the car for the hour and a half trip to my psychiatrist who was very happy to see me up and doing so well. On my way back I stopped at the pharmacy and got my meds. Finally back home. My leg and knee are swollen and I've got my ice and its elevated. I'm having aching and some sharp pains but nothing too bad. I am totally exhausted. It's unbelievable how little stamina I have now. I'm not worried about it though. I have 2 months until I have to go back to work. Home PT tomorrow for my last visit with her. All and all it was a very good day. I hope everyone else is doing well. Hang in there it really does get better!:happydance:
 
Sounds like you're doing great but I can't begin to imagine your exhaustion. Hope you're able to get some rest and a kneecation until your next outing. It does take some time to get that stamina back.

Dorothy
 
Sounds like a great day! Can imagine you must be totally wrung out. Your pre revision xray must of been a nightmare if the PA gasped.
Know you are so happy to have this all behind you.
Yay for hydrotherapy!!!
 
I had an awful day Thursday. I just felt generally sick all day. The PT came and discharged me to outpatient therapy. O go for my first time on Thursday. I found out I had to stay on my warfarin until May 2nd and will need to go twice a week to have blood drawn. At least there is actually a lab close to my home. I guess I must have really overdid it Wednesday. I'm hoping to get some sleep tonight. It's already 1:30 am and I'm still awake. O well I'll sleep better soon.:yawn:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom