Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Have you thought about blogging about your experience? Or about something else you love...
Do you enjoy reading? Lots of free books for Kindle on Pixel of Ink and Book Bub... How about audible books?
How about knitting or crocheting prayer shawls for elderly?
Writing service men?
Making a Shutterfly book online? Bet you've got tons of old photos of your family like all of us.
Researching family roots on Ancestry.com??
 
I took my a long time to fall asleep last night but after I did I slept almost 11 hours! (Or was I comatose?). It has helped my mindset today immensely. I feel more positive and have lost the negative feelings that had started to take over. I can take a shower today but I'm a bit fearful being here by myself. I have a shower seat already set up but I'm always afraid of falling. I'm getting more of those 'zingers' now. I only seem to need pain meds once or twice a day. My quad has been knotting up and I take Robaxin and I also try to massage it out myself. No PT until Thursday so I can just take it easy on my new knee. I hope everyone has a good day today.
 
Hi Marian, Must've felt so good to get that 11 hours of sleep. I remember doing the same thing after coming home from rehab after my 2nd tkr. We get so worn out after awhile, it definitely makes you feel so much better. Happy to hear you seem to be doing well this time. Hope your daughter is doing OK too. Both of you have been going through so much. Glad you are there for each other.
 
Wow! Almost 11 hours in a row! How blessed you were! A person can't buy a good night's sleep, it's a gift!
 
11 hrs of sleep sounds glorious!! You have been needing that for a long time. Now that the stress of the revision and what will be the outcome is no longer hanging
over your head you will most likely get a better quality of sleep now. :sleeep:
 
I shouldn't had said anything about 11 hours of sleep as last night I got about 4 and a half. :bored: I couldn't fall asleep and then I woke up to one of my dogs wanting to go out. It's weird but I felt I had a lot of pain but as soon as I got up and walked a little I felt fine. I started getting zingers but I prefer to call them lightning bolts as they make me hold my breath with each one. I've only have had to take pain meds once or twice a day and try tramadol first Oxycodone is my second choice. PT assistant is coming later today. I've been wanting that first shower and I'm cleared to do so but I'm worried about going upstairs to the second floor and how much energy it takes. I'm also afraid of falling and no one would even know for days. I've practiced the stairs with PT and did well.
 
Marion,
If you live alone, would a friend or neighbour or maybe a member of your Church come round to just be there while you have a shower? I understand your fear of falling, as I feel it too, but our showere is so small and I have a rubber mat on the floor and a rail on the wall that I feel OK in there. I do however have a fear of having a bath, as I have epilepsy, and I am not supposed to have a bath alone. I think it is an unreasonable fear, but sometimes you just can't get rid of them. If all else fails could you put your telephone on the floor by the shower door so you could reach it if you did fall?, and leave a key so that someone could get in if needed. Once you have got used to the shower your fear will probably just fade away.l:scary::sos:
 
I understand being leery of taking a shower with no one home to help if needed. Hopefully, you figure(d) out a way and can enjoy the relief a shower brings. It sounds like you're doing well!
 
@marian, you sound like you are doing good from your revision! My revision was march 17th so I know our dates are close!! I'm a little envious you are using a cane already, I don't even feel remotely close tone ready for that!! I just mastered the steps and yes, got to take a shower!!! Ahh, nothing better!! Hopeful for you to have a friend or someone to come over and just hang out so you can shower. I also like the idea of taking your phone with you in to the shower!
I have also felt angry having to have the revision, however; it was no ones fault the fracture just happened!! We just can't let the anger consume us, we need to look ahead, move ahead and be happy we are both doing so well!!
Sleeping....11hours of sleep for you...sounds heavenly!! I've been I'm bed since 11:30 and here I lay wide awake at 3:30...ugh!!
Praying for you!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had PT again for a visit and she took measurements of my knee. I'm at 103 and 8! I can't believe it. I was 95 and 5 before the surgery and losing ground everyday. My knee was a bit swollen when she took the measurements so I know more is to come. I will see home PT on Monday and then off to the OS office on Wednesday to see one of the PAs. I'll probably be transferring to outpatient PT but I'm not sure where I'll go. The OS office has PT there and I think they have a pool. Since I have to drive 30 minutes to get to any of them it might be worth the hour drive to go there. I don't want the same ones I had the first time around.

I heard from a friend of mine who is a home nurse that she has a patient whose tendons and ligaments were so badly mangled during a TKR by my former OS his knee is locked in a straight position and can't be fixed! There but for the grace of God go I.
 
Mariam, Wow, it is hard to believe that your original OS botched you and others with lousy TKR's. I had a fabulous recovery from my TKR 2 1/2 yrs ago. I was the poster boy for the surgeon. I skied for two seasons, bicycled and went spinning. This past winter I started getting muscle pains. when no amount of exercise and massage seemed to help, I was off to the OS. They found that the tibial prosthesis is debonding from the cement. Not from the bone. So, my implant is loose!
Got a second opinion and it was agreed that my original surgery was perfect. it seems that there is an extremely rare occurrence of this debonding ( just a small percent). So, it is off to a revision by the OS. His reputation is impeccable and all my post x-rays and MRI's show perfect alignment etc.
I am having it done on june 6, as I have a particular function I need to be at, the last week of May. I am not experiencing real pain, just a bit of discomfort occasionally while walking. The doctors say that nothing untoward will happen before then.

Keep up the good recovery.
Larry
 
Good luck with your revision. I'm sure all will go well as you have a good surgeon.
 
Marian, I'm so glad your revision surgery is going well. I'm curious as to what type of pain you were having when you went to the new OS.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, I'm so glad you found your new OS! Doesn't it just make you furious that the other is still operating on people?
 
Sad to read about your first surgeon and the other person who was injured. So glad you found the right OS, and are on your way to getting your life back. I wish the US had a joint registry, folks like this could be identified and be re trained/educated.
 
I'm having a not so good day today. I have pain mid way down my shin. I assume that's from the placement of the shaft into the bone. It's a very sharp pain. I have taken some pain meds to help. As soon as it lets up a bit I'll set up my ice wrap and I'll sit with my kne and leg wrapped with wraps to help with the pain. Overall the pain levels have been quite low most of the time without pain meds so I'm not complaining. It's still not three weeks yet so I'm really doing so much better than last time. My youngest will be here this weekend so we will go for a short walk outside weather permitting. I hope everyone has a good day today.
 
It's going to be a cold weekend here in western pa. We are supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow. Be careful if you go out.
 
It's snowing out today but nothing on the roads. My youngest is still planning on making the trip after she's done with work. I do need some things to replenish my kitchen. I'm looking forward to getting out of the house. We will probably wait until tomorrow if the snow doesn't stop. No major pain today just some annoying achiness that makes it hard to find a comfortable position. I've been walking 'laps' around the inside of my house using my cane. I really don't have much stamina at all. I have some tight hamstrings that I do some massage on. My quad muscles seem to be quieting down. There is some minimal residual IT band soreness but that is also starting to diminish. I haven't been doing much in the way of exercises. I've done some gentle stretches and heel slides but only a few at a time.

I have a visit to the OS to see the PA on Wednesday. I'll be driving to get there by myself. It takes about an hour and since it's my left knee I'll bring an ice wrap for the trip. I love that they have valet parking so I can just drive right up to the door. I'm going to ask her about outpatient PT in their building. I would love to have hydrotherapy and I think they offer it there. I also want to see if I can stop the warfarin or else I will have to go to a lab to have my blood checked twice a week. Right now my home PT can do it with a meter where they only need a drop of blood and can immediately call in the results.
 
I went out with my youngest daughter today to do some shopping for several special occasions she has coming up. I walked through the parking lot and around the store. I sat down for a little bit while she waited to check out. We also stopped at a sports store and then we stopped a sandwich shop and brought them home to eat. I could feel my leg swelling up towards the end of the trip. We were gone a little more than two hours. I also walked around my gravel driveway to make sure I could handle it by myself. My knee and leg were very achy and I took some pain meds and elevated my leg since we came home. Most of the ache is gone now. Overall I was happy with this first outing. A little fresh air has immensely helped my cabin fever! It will be three weeks tomorrow and I'm very happy I had the revision. The fear prior to it almost made me cancel it. I'm glad I didn't.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom