Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

I do understand MUA is a surgical procedure. I'm wondering if it is common for knee replacement to use CPMs after surgery? It seems like when I went to school and starting working we seemed to use them all the time. Does it affect outcomes one way or another?
 
If you do have an MUA, it's important to remember that it does cause some soft tissue damage, so you shouldn't rush back into lots of exercise. Just move the knee gently and spend plenty of time doing rest, ice and elevation.

Over-exercising those newly-wounded soft tissues could inflame them and lead to further development of adhesions. Inflamed tissues get hot, which leads to dryness, which pre-disposes to adhesion formation.

Although a CPM may initially produce more ROM, studies have shown that it produces no long term benefits.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I do understand MUA is a surgical procedure. I'm wondering if it is common for knee replacement to use CPMs after surgery? It seems like when I went to school and starting working we seemed to use them all the time. Does it affect outcomes one way or another?
Some OS's believe in their effectiveness, while others do not. My OS did not use them and believed that one could do better by moving thee knee themselves, while my father's OS had him use the CPM while in the hospital during both of his TR recoveries.
 
I was originally scheduled for PT today which I'm off for at least two weeks. I think I'm feeling a little bit better.
No PT always made me feel better :rotfl:

@newlybionic it does seem a bit counterintuitive but I just don't wrap right after icing and it seems to work.
 
I fell for the line that you had to go use aggressive PT after TKR. I guess there's a fine line. I did need to strengthen my quadricep. If I was told do it 10 times I did it 20. I thought that the more I did the faster I'll get better!! Add that to not being able to take pain meds and then a bad reaction to the aspirin I was taking to prevent blood clots and I now see how I was in such a mess looking back! :bored:
 
I now haven't had any therapy since Monday and I'm taking it easy. I think my knee is starting to feel a little bit better!! It took a while before I fell asleep last night but I slept for 5 wonderful uninterrupted hours. I'm glad my work start date was moved until Nov 2nd. It has given me some more time to get stronger. Thank goodness for all the paperwork taking so long. Referee54 I read your posts and found it to be very true. I'm only 3 and a half months postop and I'm actually doing fairly well. I want to find somewhere to go swimming mainly for the relaxation and warm water.
 
I know I will because no matter what I won't give up. I seems if I follow what my body tells me I do better on my own. I know I'm not even going to think about doing the other knee at this point. I will have to get my courage up before I do that!! I sometimes wish I had both done at the same time and have it over with. For now I'll talk to the doctor to try a conservative approach. Since I'm starting a new job I won't have time available for much else.
 
I slept 7 hours last night. I'm walking around the house with minimal discomfort. Really just having some stiffness around the knee cap. I checked my ROM and it feels like my knee can extend all the way to straight. I'm still having a problem bending my knee. I still feel something behind my thigh just above the inner part of my leg is stopping me from bending further. I still have some pain in the knee itself. I shouldn't complain since I'm able to go more than 100 degrees but I had been up to 120. My doctor had no explanation of what it is. He seemed more concerned over scar tissue in the knee itself. I researched this problem and I can't find an explanation. Does anyone know what it could be and what I do about it?
 
I tried sleeping in my bed last night. My knee seemed to hurt no matter what I did. I used pillows in all possible combinations. Because of some residual IT problems it hurt for my operative side to be down. I had pain from hip to knee. The other way it just ached and ached. I finally fell asleep with sheer exhastion and woke up very stiff and hurting.
 
I tried several different size pillows but I couldn't get comfortable. I've slept consistently in my recliner for over 3 months now. I periodically try to take a nap or sleep in my bed overnight and still I can't. It's getting really annoying. At least my daughters bought me a new recliner before my surgery.
 
It's about 14 months since my latest TKR and if I'm having a sleepless night I still find I can rest better in my recliner. Somehow, it seems like a comforting place.

PS: Just a little request from me - I have mild arachnophobia and your spider gives me a shock. I wonder if you'd consider losing it? Don't worry if you don't want to . I can live with it.
 
Sorry about the spider! My daughter is not happy with me not sleeping in my bed and she's coming back home next week! I'm willing to sleep wherever I can since I'm starting a new job Monday.
 
Thank you for removing the spider. :):SUNsmile:

I agree that you should sleep wherever you can. It's getting the sleep that matters, not where you do it.
I think you just have to go along with what your body tells you is right, and not with what someone else thinks you should be doing.
 
Thank goodness for your sister and giving you that great recliner, at least you can get some rest in the chair!
Your ROM sounds good too. Did I read it right that you are starting a new job on Monday? That should be interesting!
 
Sleep wherever you can. Hmmmm, that's a new mantra. :chinstroke:
Well, why not? If you can't get comfortable enough to sleep in bed, what's wrong with sleeping in a recliner?

I could add to that - sleep whenever you can.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom