Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Lmk as I am facing the same thing.. I too lost 10 degrees! They keep telling me that they have to break the adhesion up and it might result in flares... but I feel I was so much better before. I am curious what your OS tells u.. sounds like we are in the same boat

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
 
Better to check with the doc than to worry ...
 
I am going to see surgeon Tuesday morning. I want him to check it out. At this point I don't want setbacks and I'm starting a new job the following week and I will be on my feet for 10 to 12 hours a day with no times to put my leg up or ice it.
 
Is it normal for me to still have pain in my knee? I hav enough that I find it hard to fall asleep. I also have pain in my quadriceps and also in my shin. I take some tramadol but no matter what I do I can't get comfortable. I feel like I just changed from one pain before surgery for a new one.
 
I still have pain in my knee. I'm a couple of weeks behind you. The pain seems to move around, never stays long in one place. Sometimes I take a Vicodin, but it doesn't take all of the pain away. Sometimes stretching helps. I just think it is the structures around the knee adjusting to it now being straightened as well as walking normally. Before surgery I had a horrible limp for months, i got used to walking that way, it was normal to me. Now I'm really walking normal and I feel the difference. I don't have the arthritis pain anymore, just a new kind of pain. Not constant, really annoying though because I want so much to be totally back to normal. You have had problems for years, not months and as the structures around your knee adjust, it may be uncomfortable. It's just going to take time....hang in there.

BTW I think I had a great recovery but still have issues. I also have difficulty walking downstairs like a big girl, maybe just 1 or 2. I can alternate going up but I walk slowly. You are not alone.
 
I also wasn't walking correctly. I was having cramps in my calf that I couldn't stretch out whatever I did. It was caused because my stride wasn't right. I really had to learn to walk again! My other knee is also damaged so I was doing the same thing with that leg. It felt so unnatural to me. If you ever seen Monty Python's ministry of silly walks that was how I felt.
 
I can relate to wanting to walk normal again ! For months before my surgery I had a brace and could not bend my leg and limped . The calf wanting to stretch and just can't . It had gotten better since my replacement but very slowly. Keep moving on , something I have to repeat to myself daily !
 
I have cried multiple times at physical therapy, only once from pain. The rest of the times have been from major frustration. Coming from the background of a fairly competitive athlete, this is been extremely difficult. Especially mentally. And the only reason I had it done is that my surgeon said I will be back to racing.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes I feel defeated most of the time ! But I was not able to do much for about a year . I was a regular spinner at the gym ( my husband instructs ) and have done 5 half marathons ( I speed walk while my husband runs )! I just want to walk the neighborhood now and hopeful to ride my motorcycle again next summer
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I so get it. Since my spinal fusion 24 years ago I have been saying all I want is to be able to walk again. I've had many periods that were ok but too many where my knees have not cooperated. Now I'm praying that when I recover from this revision my other knee will behave for a while. So we're in this together and slowly, slowly we'll all get there !:hiking:
 
It's so helpful to read about other people's experiences. I haven't been able to do anything athletic for over 15 years. Before that i could pick up any sport easily. I'm hoping I can get back in shape enough to begin a new sport. I'm thinking of trying golf. In the meantime its PT and a new job next week! :bath:
 
I agree It helps a lot to know we share the struggles . It does get depressing,trying so hard and it going so slow
 
Newlybionic, I too have pain in areas I didn't expect like the shin, upper leg. It's seems to be quite random right now especially at night.spent a lot of time trying to figure why I was feelinspx this pain. It seems to be angry tissue trying to heal. Glad poz222 posted her journey with the pain behind the knee with you. Sometimes PT's overstep boundaries. I noticed you take tramadol. One word of advice, go on the net and read up on the withdrawal symptoms of tramadol - they are very intense, I am on week one of extreme insomnia, restless leg, muscle pain and flu like symptoms. I quit them cold turkey which is not recommended. I hope you can resolve your pain behind the knee. I wouldn't let pt touch. You are the boss of your knee.
 
Hi kneefriend, very nice to meet you. This 2nd knees journey has been great so far except for the withdrawal. I have not had any issues with The IT band so can't help but I think Poz222 is going through something like this. I don't know how to tag people so I'm hoping she sees this message. Can you give me an idea of how long your withdrawals symptoms lasted and what they included? I've been sleeping 1 to 3 hours a night, that's with a sleeping pill and Ativan. My leg does the river dance all night!
 
Yes, I have inflammation and a super tender spot on the upper calf behind the knee on the inside.. So painful to even touch. They were thinking bakers cyst or popliteal but as of yesterday they are saying it is bursitis/tendinitis of the pes anserine insertion... I am going to my primary care today to see what he says and if he has a course of action... But it is really holding me back and I have lost rom. It feels like what is stopping my knee from bending is not anything in the knee or from the top, but more like something is stuffed in the back of the knee like a stopper... When I go to bend I reach a certain point and bam, it is stopped... I feel your frustration... I get so upset cause I felt like I was doing so well... Now I feel like I'm going backwards. I will keep you posted on what I find out... Good luck moving forward!
 
POZ222, I'm really sorry this roller coaster ride is getting to be so intense for you. I read your posts and was so impressed at your incredible ROM and progress so early on so I was pretty shocked to see this turn of events. As far as your "lost" ROM now, my PT told me that you can't loose your ROM so maybe once you get this issue resolved you will be back to,where you were. Just an FYI, I didn't let my PT massage my leg or push it, I just kept telling her,,my boss is the knee. PT didn't like it but I figured too bad. Good luck at your next appointment, sending you positive vibes! I don't want to be negative but this journey is the most emotional, taxing thing I have ever gone through and I will be glad when it's over!
 
I had symptoms like you described and also panic attacks, anxiety, hot flushes, moodiness, lack of sleep, vivid dreams.
oh my. I had no idea. I have been using Tramadol and Tylenol for pain pretty effectively after trying and rejecting quite a number of other pain relievers or NSAIDs. I change the dose depending on my activity level but have been pretty happy with two 50 mg tablets when I wake and two when I go to bed. The dosage indicates 1 or 2 tabs every 6 hours but I have not needed that for many weeks. At what point did the withdrawal symptoms appear, was it only after cold turkey?

Mine told me if I did not keep up exercises, I would lose all my gains!
As my British doc says "baloney!" My ROM has been going back and forth depending on swelling. My PT said if I didn't do home exercises, I would lose my ROM. My PT sessions were such that I never recovered sufficiently to do home therapy because when I finally felt better it was time for another PT session. When I graduated from PT, they reinforced that I needed to keep up my home exercise otherwise I would lose my ROM. That was on Sept 4 when my ROM was -6 and 118. My extension and flexion are almost perfect judging from the ROM in my non-surgical knee. I have (unintentionally) eliminated all artificial exercise from my day. That is, anything not related to my hygiene routines, getting to and from work, helping my elderly mother when I am home, cooking, cleaning, running errands, socializing, etc. My life is pretty busy and most of the "senior" kneesies on the board have indicated what I have experienced - at some point resuming your life provides plenty of exercise for The Knee. There was no magical window of opportunity since my ROM has been improving steadily every week and once I could bend and extend, bending and extending further becomes easier (when there is no swelling). To my surprise I was able to sit on the floor and get up on my own several times this weekend.
 
Hawk2go, in the last 2 weeks I had cut back from 6 - 37.5 pills per day down to 3 to 4 max and finally cold turkey a week ago. Symptoms started slowly but really slammed me last week. You,have to remember, I had no idea what was going on so it was scary. When I went on line and typed tramadol withdrawal symptoms, I got knocked off my feet. I fully intend on telling my OS about this when I see him in January. I thought I had covered all my bases, asked my pharmacist if they were addictive etc... Answer was always no, they are just a bit stronger than Tylenol so now that I have done extensive research I now know I was wrong. I am so frustrated but glad to be off the stuff. I was supposed to go on a business road trip today with my husband but I couldn't risk being wide awake all night(like I was last night again) keeping him awake so I stayed home.
 
I thought I had covered all my bases, asked my pharmacist if they were addictive etc... Answer was always no
Ask if you can become dependent on them. You do, else they would not work. "addictive" is a bad word, apparently, but dependent is acceptable.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom