Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Hey, folks, please---let us focus on the issues and concerns of the original poster of the thread---newlybionic. It is important for us to help one another---true---but this is newlybionic's thread---please help the poster and refocus on the OP's concerns.

Your issues are also best addressed in your own thread, as well---where others can see what is going on merely by looking at your thread.

Thanks so much,

Tim C.
 
I went to the surgeon this morning because I've had increased pain and my ROM decreased because of an area that on the back upper leg just above my knee made it impossible for me to bend it further. They took X-rays again and no changes there. Everything looks good. He put me on some NDAIDs and told me to stop PT for 2 weeks. He told me I have some scar tissue in the knee. I told him it was much worse about a month ago when the therapist 'worked it out'. OUCH!! I start a new job on Monday and will be on my feet 10 hours a day. I also am going to have a MRI of my other knee on Saturday. I know I'm not ready to even think about another surgery now or the near future. :chinstroke:
 
Sounds like at least things are ok from a orthopedic standpoint... Did he recommend continuing the PT after the 2 week hiatus? What was his thoughts on the scar tissue and getting rid of it?
 
Sorry to hear you are still in pain, @newlybionic but it does not seem that unusual. I think I'm at 14 weeks tomorrow and the pain is really bad when I put weight on my knee. OS says everything looks fine. No more Physio because I'm back at work full time. Well I'm supposed to be back full time but I keep taking knee days.
 
kneefriend,
Wow, it is a very scary thing to go through. I had only been taking the tramadol for 2 months. I cannot imagine living with the symptoms you have described for months. I am a very high emotion type of person to start. How long were you on this last time around? I'm going back to work mid December as a manager with a large number of staff and responsibility - they may suffer too if I don't get a grip on this. I really hate this, so scary and feeling like I am not in control.

Hi Saultlooser. I was on the Tramadol for about 6 weeks this time round, not long I thought. I would imagine that by mid December you will be feeling more in control. I have found that by taking just one tramadol during the day, the symptoms are more bearable. I also become hyper emotional during this period. Trying to keep busy helps I find even though it is easier said than done at times !
 
[Bonesmart.org] Totally recovered at last!

People, please! This is newlybionic's thread.
Please can we discuss her progress and problems here, and not your own?

Each person has her/his own recovery thread, in which you discuss your own knee replacement.

@Kneefriend, we will start a recovery thread for you and your posts will be moved to it. We can then answer your questions, without derailing newlybionic's thread.
 
@newlybionic
As you are starting work again very soon and will be working long days, I think that will be quite enough exercise for your knee, without doing any PT as well.
 
@Kneefriend ---perhaps you did not see my post above---about keeping this thread focused on newlybionic's issues and concerns.

We would appreciate it it if you would post your conversation with Saultlooser in the appropriate thread.
Thanks,

Tim C.
 
I'm looking forward to working again. I'm hoping I'll feel a little better by Monday and able to sleep again! It does upset me a little bit because I worked hard at PT every time I was there. I even started to pay out of pocket for the sessions since my insurance limited how many times I could go to 20. I could hear the doctor talk to another patient about knee replacement therapy. I wanted to go talk to her too when he gave the line that at 3 months your recovery is complete. He didn't even mention it could take up to a year or more. I think a lot of my early frustration was because I was behind the curve. I'll say it again that everyone here have been so helpful to me. I only wished I found the site earlier as I think I would have had a more realistic outlook. I would have told the other patient to read the posts here to gauge what seems to be typical rather than just the best case scenario that I was fed. I'm in the medical field albeit not in orthopedics and I had no clue. My regular ortho told me I needed it and I followed his suggestion. O well. I know if I do not his again! MRI Saturday on the other knee!!:thud:
 
I'm hoping I'll feel a little better by Monday and able to sleep again! It does upset me a little bit because I worked hard at PT every time I was there. I even started to pay out of pocket for the sessions since my insurance limited how many times I could go to 20. I could hear the doctor talk to another patient about knee replacement therapy. I wanted to go talk to her too when he gave the line that at 3 months your recovery is complete.
You truly don't have to work hard at PT in order to rehab your knee. I know it sounds illogical, but this recovery is an example of where Less is More - less work equals more results. Too much work can slow down your recovery, because it irritates and inflames your healing tissues.

I did minimal PT for my Revision to TKR - just 3 sessions at 2-weekly intervals - and none at all for my latest TKR.
I never experienced any tendinitis or untoward pain and both knees work beautifully. I have good ROM in both knees and can do anything i like with them. I know that Josephine did no PT either for her latest TKR.

I'm glad that you know your recovery isn't complete at 3 months, because you still have some improvement to look forward to. I do wish doctors and surgeons wouldn't tell their patients that recovery is complete by then. While many people feel that they are over the worst by 3 months, there is still along way to go before complete recovery.
 
I'm not sure if what will happen when I see Surgeon in two weeks. If he has to manipulate the knee to get rid of scar tissue I hope he does it in the office right then. As far as PT I don't know what he will suggest then. I had some new problems last night. I'm was just sitting watching tv and I got some very sharp pains in my knee. It continued for about an hour or so. I would describe it as a lightning bolt. I guess my knee has decided I didn't need to sleep!! Fortunately today I don't have to go anywhere so I slept late but this will really cause a problem when I have to get up for work!! I had those pains a couple of years ago and I had arthroscopic surgery to remove some torn cartilage. Does anyone have any ideas about what this is??
 
Hi @newlybionic - have you tried the clingfilm at night? It seemed to work only for my scar sensitivity at first but I noticed a distinct difference in nighttime pain levels once I started wrapping The Knee every night. I still needed some meds way back then but know that the technique works for me. Now I can sleep through most nights without wrapping but when I wake up with some pain, I almost wrap The Knee while alseep and can get back to sleep fairly quickly without taking more meds. Here's the link.
 
Is the cling film an elastic bandage like an ace wrap? I haven't been given anything to wrap the knee with.
 
Is the cling film an elastic bandage like an ace wrap?
No, it's the clear plastic wrap that you use to preserve food. Apparently when you wrap it around your knee it creates a soothing moist heat that helps with pain and flexibility. Check out the video in the link. I just have a box of Glad Wrap within easy reach on my nightstand now for the last 3 months.
[Bonesmart.org] Totally recovered at last!
 
Heat usually isn't recommended when there is still some swelling. Unfortunately I still have it at the end of the day. I know for my arthritis it works extremely well. Thanks for the info.
 
Here's the article from the library about using cling film. It's worth a try. Even if it doesn't help, it won't do any harm.
Night pain solutions using moist heat and clingfilm
I'm was just sitting watching tv and I got some very sharp pains in my knee. It continued for about an hour or so. I would describe it as a lightning bolt.
I wonder if those pains were a sign of nerves growing and trying to reconnect? they are relatively common. we call them zingers.
 
.. If he has to manipulate the knee to get rid of scar tissue I hope he does it in the office right then...
I hate to tell you, but MUA is considered a surgical procedure (albeit a quick one) and is always done "under anesthesia", which means an anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist must be present, along with other members of a surgical team. Therefore expect your MUA to take place in a hospital or outpatient surgi-center. Here in the U.S. it is typical after MUA for the surgeon to have you use a CPM machine for a couple of weeks and do PT up to 5 days/week. Sorry, and I hope you feel better soon.
 
Zinger is the perfect word!! I'll try the wrap to see if it helps. I am having a very lazy day today. I was originally scheduled for PT today which I'm off for at least two weeks. I think I'm feeling a little bit better.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom