Guest viewing is limited

TKR Graduated!

My therapist suggested to me to make sure that when I am laying down or sitting that my left leg should be straight and to not let my foot to turn outwards.
Mine demanded it, and told me that was why I had lost the 0 degree extension the OS verified in surgery. Guilt, guilt, guilt. Glad I dropped out! :)
 
You PT can demand,, but you do not have to obey. Always remember that the PT works for you, not the other way round. You don't have to please your therapist. She/he has to please you.
 
You PT can demand,, but you do not have to obey. Always remember that the PT works for you, not the other way round. You don't have to please your therapist. She/he has to please you.
I did not understand that at the time, and I believed him that I had messed up my knee. I was anxious to fix it, and that meant obey the PT. Boy was I flim-flammed!
 
That's probably true, but there's no need for them to hurt people, as some do.
 
OK, this is a post from pure ignorance, just a guess. When I was under the house crawling around, I think I did an MUA without the A. :) I was actually walking stooped in an area with more head clearance. I needed to sit on the ground in front of the furnace. I shifted myself to a chair sitting position, and held onto the furnace to lower myself to the ground, expecting to extend the TKR knee as I went. My hand slipped and I "fell" to the ground, and I swear my butt hit both heels. I instantly fell over backwards, and my wife heard me yell, then laugh at my foolishness. As I mentioned above, when I am focused on a task, I often do not feel pain or an injury. I think I may have broken an adhesion or something when the foot was forced to the butt for an instant. The knee was fine afterwards.

I think this because when i would do flexion exercises, i always hit a point around 125 that I felt a sharp pain I could not pass. Now, I feel only pressure, and can pull my leg further and further with only a little pressure discomfort that fades away if I hold the position.
 
That's your reward for not avoiding your chores! No way would you find me crawling under a house. Really cool that it advanced your recovery!
 
What is the correct way to measure ROM? I (and originally the PT) have been measuring the flexion by how far I could bend the leg with assistance but no pain. I can almost hit heel to butt that way. But bending it on it's own does not go that far, either swelling, or muscles run into each other at the back of the knee, and it stops earlier.
 
It sounds as if your ROM is pretty good, however it's being measured. You've achieved very good flexion and I can't see much point in measuring it at all any more.

However, if you are going to keep measuring, I think that what you can achieve, unassisted, should be what you go on.

Here's an article from the library that shows how to measure ROM.
ROM (range of motion) information
 
I know I'm fine, but I am an engineer, and live for numbers. I have seen those posts, they do not say is the knee has to get there on it's own, or not. I'm thinking not, because I've seen folks hold their foot to their butt, I don't think it can get there on it's own. That's the way the PT measured it, too, but I do not trust him. :)
 
OK, there is active (functional) and passive (normal) flexion. Active is leg on it's own, passive is leg pushed to non-painful limit.
 
CDC video shows the measurement being made with the person measuring applying pressure to bend the knee.
 
OK. I think it really doesn't matter which way you measure it, as long as you're consistent and always use the same way. Since your ROM is now so good, it's all become a bit academic. I know you like numbers, but don't forget that function is more important than the numbers.

Mine told me if I did not keep up exercises, I would lose all my gains!
That's rubbish! Why would you lose it? The normal activities of daily life are quite sufficient.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom