THR tomorrow's the day !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if your hospital will give you a book on What To Expect after, but if they do, READ IT AND DO EVERYTHING THEY SAY. I did and my post op went perfectly. I started doing my first exercises in the recovery room. The woman I shared my room with did not. She had her surgery the day before me and was still there when I left.

I was back on my computer tablet while in the hospital, playing Scrabble, checking e-mail. I used the TV headphones they gave me to muffle my roomies constant requests for a nurse [yikes, she pushed that buttom at least 10 times a day]. Both really helped me focus, kept my brain active and helped me avoid the blues.
Good luck!!! Hope you have similar success.

> If they do not have a post-op booklet I had mine done at Hospital for Special Surgery in NY. Best there is. Their Post Op book is online:
https://www.hss.edu/conditions_total-hip-replacement-your-pathway-to-recovery.asp

Gifty
 
What an excellent booklet! I have saved that for future reference!
 
Thanks. It was my bible! I did everything it said and it worked! In post-op I started my exercises - rotating my feet and starting the butt squeeze. By the time I got to my room my butt went from weighing about 700 lbs. to maybe 500 ~ give or take a few hundred, LOL!

The spirometer was also important, p. 25. I felt stupid doing it but did it anyway. My roomie did not and she wound up with fluid in her lungs.

Funny thing. They do not talk about what I call the "ballerina" stance: to assit with bending while still in the 90o precautions [put the op leg straight to the back]. It allowed me to bend very early on without breaking precautions. I've shared this with other THR's I met at PT and all have said it made them feel more normal so much faster. Do you know about this stance?
 
Yes, has anyone heard from Brit? - wondering if she is home and napping a lot, which would be good :)
 
:yay:
Nothing' like good drugs!
Just got to your post, days old. Gonna check in on your newer now.
Stay well, keep those feet moving and do some butt tighteners while laying in bed.
Gifty
 
:scratch: ... wonderin' how Brit is doing too. She may just need a day or so to get herself and laptop up and moving. With all my planning, I still needed it.
Gifty
 
Hi Britchick

You get back to us when your ready, mind and take care.

Billy
 
The spirometer was also important, p. 25. I felt stupid doing it but did it anyway. My roomie did not and she wound up with fluid in her lungs.
She probably had chest problems anyway. Unlikely the failure to use the spirometer would have done that to her. It's not used in the UK (yet!)
Funny thing. They do not talk about what I call the "ballerina" stance: to assit with bending while still in the 90o precautions [put the op leg straight to the back].Do you know about this stance?
We call it the golfer's reach. There's been an article in the Library about it for a year or more
This 90 degree rule and risk of dislocation
 
Wow, sorry guys didn't realise I had so many replies, I have been posting from my phone and it doesn't notify me that I have replies. I haven't been on my laptop since I got home. I am doing well, my husband is taking good care of me, I'm impressed with how good his hnursing skills are !!! I will post from my laptop later as this phone is driving me insane, it won't do what I want it to ! But thanks for all your messages and good wishes xx
Sharon x
 
Hi Sharon

Fantastic to hear from you, we have all been waiting to see how you are progressing.

How precious is that husband of yours, I have one like that... They are keepers for sure :)

Post when you are up to it, we will be here, what you need is lots of rest and snoozes :sleep:

How is your pain levels? And Meds going?
 
Love my tramadol <3
I am getting stronger each day, have taken a few steps without my crutches whilst I have been pottering around my bathroom .
I am trying the elevation and ice for the first time at the moment, its quite good, watching tv in bed, whilst doing something useful ! Well thats my excuse ! Lol
 
Sounds like you are doing really good Sharon, I am so pleased for you honey.

Take it easy going without aids too soon, don't want any little trips..

Nite night from OZ xxx
 
Hi Sharon,

I'm with Sandy on the "being careful" advice, read my thread if you want to see what can happen if you're not!! (be warned it's not something you want to read just before bedtime if you want to sleep that is! :th_heehee:)

I'm with you on the Tramadol and I'm sure you'll reap the benefits of ice and elevation, make the best of slobbing while you can!!!

Charlie
 
Hi britchick

Nice to hear your man is pampering you and you are feeling ok, have to echo what everyone is saying about not using your crutches it could cause implications if you slip and fall at this early. stage.
Please take care do the sensible thing

Billy
 
Glad to hear you are recovering well , finally got my date so will be joining you on this side soon
 
Sharon :flowerysmile:! Great to see that you're home and doing well. And as everyone else said please do be careful about moving without any aids, especially in the bathroom. If you really must, maybe wait until your husband is around to keep an eye on you.
 
Yay Dingbat, that's great news ! So pleased for you :-)
Thanks for everybody's concern but I only tried a few unaided steps because my physio in hospital said it was ok and I only mean if say I am washing my face and my crutches are at the side, I just do a couple of steps / shuffles to reach the towel behind me , but I will be sensible !

My only concern at the moment is now and again I get that awful pre op stabbing pain in my knee and my fear is that it could be my knee that's bad and it wasn't just referred pain . The thought of. Knee op is just unbearable at this moment in time . Has anyone else had this post op pain or is it still early days and its still all connected, even though my surgeon told me my old hip was in a bin somewhere !
 
Hi Sharon

Don't be concerned about your knee pain at this stage, it is very early days for you, and we get a lot of strange pains. I myself have experienced knee pain and thought, oh my gosh now it is my knees....

Rest assured there is a lot of healing to occur and lots of these odd pains, even one's we have had pre surgery tend to settle down.

Rest, elevate, ice and keep up your Meds.... Do the exercises shown to you in hospital and that is all that you need to do at this stage.

Just reiterating the bathroom is perhaps not a good room to consider even a small step or turn without your crutches, tiles can often be slippery. Take care xxx

You are doing fantastic.. Lots of love xxx Sandy
 
Thanks Sandy, I am resting, elevating and icing as I post, whilst watching an old episode of Frasier ! ......good times :-)
How much of the resting time should be spent in bed, I do try to spend a couple of hours at a time sitting in my chair, but its pretty frustrating not being able to change position. But I have noticed the back of my heel is a bit sore from the bed rest .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom