THR Tom’s surprise<

Oh that's good of you. Definitely I would say that pain is back related. Perhaps a chiropractor would help?
I’ve done a lot of reading about side effects of Rivaroxaban, and the ones that I found that I have are as follows: pain in joints (I have new soreness in elbows and shoulders), short of breath, lightheaded, muscle spasms, and generally just feeling crummy.
Don't have to tell me - my sister had it when it first came on the market. She ended up being kept in hospital an extra week because it made the surgical area weep like crazy and the staff were all fearful it was an infection even though the fluid was perfectly clear, just there was so much of it! Anyway, she was also being very sick because they had given her metronidazole which I am intolerant of also. When I finally got her home. I stopped all her medications for two days then gradually started them back, beginning with her diabetic meds. So she did take Reivoroxaban again until the fourth day and the next morning, her hip was pouring fluid again! I had to go to the hospital for more dressings so I spoke with the sister and she airily said that they'd had a number of patients react like that so they weren't using it anymore! :doh:
I read the energy drain post, and I understand that for the first two weeks, almost all my energy goes to healing
It doesn't say that! The diagrams quite clearly indicate that this malady will last many weeks, often as much as 12-14 weeks.

Since you appeared to have missed my other question, I'll ask it again: I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
I was cooped up in the house because it wasn’t safe to go out. I opened sliding doors and just stood in front of them to get fresh air inside. One day snow was whipping around outside and I stood near an open window. Just do what you can.

The exhaustion caught me off guard this afternoon. I was talking with my son and then bam! I felt so tired I needed a nap. It can go like this for much more than the two weeks you’re thinking. The interrupted sleep will also continue for a bit. I know it won’t ease up for me until I’m off precautions and can stop sleeping on my back.
 
@Josephine

I’m not sure if I’m replying properly. I’m using the iPhone app mostly.

Yes, I would love your help, ask any questions you need to.

I stopped the Rivaroxabam and switched to aspirin. I think I feel better already.

And yes, the energy drain post. I realize it’s says that it takes many weeks to heal, 12-14. I just noted that the first two weeks were much more draining. Even knowing that, I’m struggling with patience, probably because I was already 5 weeks into recovery from my first surgery.
 
@hikejunkie

Yes, exhaustion has caught me like that many times in the last two weeks. I feel like I can barely make it to bed to lie down.
 
I only took coated aspirin but they wanted me to take Famatotidine(Pepcid AC), with it to protect my stomach.
 
I’m taking the coated aspirin also. My surgeon originally wanted me on a blood thinner for 3 weeks, and I’m done 2 weeks. I don’t think 1 week will cause me too much stomach problems.
 
@Lucky man your last posts were fine. You don't need to quote a post to reply to it. Just scoot down to the first empty box on the page and start typing as you did above.
 
I stopped the Rivaroxabam and switched to aspirin. I think I feel better already.
Excellent!
And yes, the energy drain post. I realize it’s says that it takes many weeks to heal, 12-14. I just noted that the first two weeks were much more draining.
I think in that case I shall have to redo that article. It's not intended to portray that the phenomenon will only be effective for the first few weeks. The 'normal' on that chat would be no pink at all!
I only took coated aspirin but they wanted me to take Famatotidine(Pepcid AC), with it to protect my stomach.
Well it is an NSAID. Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
 
Yes, I would love your help, ask any questions you need to.
Triffic!

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1. Posterior

2. Pain varies a lot. There are times when I’m still that it can be 0 or 1. With movement, it can jump to 8 or 9 if I move the wrong way. With walking, I would say it’s 5 or 6. After lots of use, it aches for awhile, around 5. Sometimes when I’m still and relatively pain free, I will start to get little shots of pain, maybe spasms, around my knee, or up my hamstring. These would be a 4 or 5 level.

3. Medications. This is a bit confusing. Prior to my surgery, I was on Oxycodone, 20 mg twice per day, and Percocet 5/325 up to 4 per day. This was for my preexisting back/hip problems. I also had Flexeril, 10 mg, I could take up to 3 tines per day, but rarely took them because they didn’t help.

Since the surgery, they have just increased the Percocet to 2 every 4 hours. The oxycodone stayed the same.

4. Yes, I ice it several times per day, probably 3-5 times. I don’t really time it, often fall asleep when icing. Ranges probably from 30 min to 2 hours. I use gel packs, so they eventually warm up

5. Most of my time up until today has been spent in bed. I would either have a pillow under my leg if on my back, or pillows between my knees if on my side. That was probably 20 hrs per day. Today, I’ve had it elevated a few hours. Surprisingly, I have had no bruising yet. With my first surgery I had a lot of bruising, but I was much more active.

6. My activity level was very low until today. Going to the bathroom would exhaust me. I would be out of breath with my heart pounding after only a couple of minutes of walking with the walker. I think a lot of that was related to the Rivaroxabam. I stopped it 2 days ago. Today, I’ve been able to do much more, I can go for 30 minutes, do light housework. I tidied up the kitchen, have been up/down the stairs 4 or 5 times.

7. I have not started PT or any exercise program yet. I have in home PT starting next week. I’ve just been too exhausted to do anything before today. I’ve just been trying to walk (with walker or crutches) as my energy would permit.
 
So you're only 2 weeks out then?
2. Pain varies a lot. There are times when I’m still that it can be 0 or 1. With movement, it can jump to 8 or 9 if I move the wrong way. With walking, I would say it’s 5 or 6. After lots of use, it aches for awhile, around 5. Sometimes when I’m still and relatively pain free, I will start to get little shots of pain, maybe spasms, around my knee, or up my hamstring. These would be a 4 or 5 level.
This can actually be quite normal for the first few weeks, maybe 2-4.
Since the surgery, they have just increased the Percocet 20 mg to 2 every 4 hours. The oxycodone stayed the same.
Well you're on your maximum dose for sure. Of course, it could be that these drugs just don't suit you. I would ask them if you could use something else as a trial. I would suggest Tramadol with a Tylenol chaser! If they agree to do this, I have a natty little chart that I created during my TKR recovery.
4. Yes, I ice it several times per day, probably 3-5 times. I don’t really time it, often fall asleep when icing. Ranges probably from 30 min to 2 hours. I use gel packs, so they eventually warm up
Good, good.
5. Most of my time up until today has been spent in bed. I would either have a pillow under my leg if on my back, or pillows between my knees if on my side. That was probably 20 hrs per day. Today, I’ve had it elevated a few hours. Surprisingly, I have had no bruising yet. With my first surgery I had a lot of bruising, but I was much more active.
Okay
6. My activity level was very low until today. Going to the bathroom would exhaust me. I would be out of breath with my heart pounding after only a couple of minutes of walking with the walker. I think a lot of that was related to the Rivaroxabam. I stopped it 2 days ago. Today, I’ve been able to do much more, I can go for 30 minutes, do light housework. I tidied up the kitchen, have been up/down the stairs 4 or 5 times.
NO housework. Do nothing. Did you read the articles Layla left you in post #4 of this thread? Amongst them was this one Activity progression for THRs which will give you a precise schedule of activities to do and when.
7. I have not started PT or any exercise program yet. I have in home PT starting next week. I’ve just been too exhausted to do anything before today. I’ve just been trying to walk (with walker or crutches) as my energy would permit.
Well in those articles I just mentioned there is also this bit of advice which is very, very important

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

And, if you are concerned about refusing to do therapy, you need to read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

I think overall that your pain is due to you a) being only 2 weeks out and b) that you suffered a major trauma only 6 weeks prior to that. In other words, you've had a pretty good mash-up and are suffering the consequences of it. As always with these things, it will all need to time to settle down and get better.
 
Yes, 2 weeks. My hip replacement was March 15.

Thanks for your feedback. Your knowledge and the info on this site has been invaluable.

The in home PT that is coming next week is the same one I had after my first surgery. I was not very good at following the exercise program, and I just ended up walking as I was able. She came once a week, and the value of the visit for me was mostly getting an evaluation of my progress week to week.
 
Had a nice weekend. Family came to my place for Easter as I wasn’t up for traveling. Had a great visit with my sister, her husband, my dad, and my kids. My wonderful partner made an amazing meal. That all happened Saturday, so I was pretty wiped and sore yesterday.

Feeling good today. Had my best sleep last night since the surgery. I’ve done some walking today with just 1 crutch! Progress!
 
@Lucky man - sounds like you have been doing so much better since getting rid of the Rivaroxabam. Glad you are getting sleep and making progress! Great news :)
 
:egypdance:Glad to hear things are easing.
Very early days so expect some ups and downs...but happy to hear you are improving and getting some restorative sleep.
Hope your day is a Good Day:SUNsmile:
 
@TinyMom

Yes, stopping the Rivaroxabam made a huge difference. I switched to aspirin after finding a very recent study that it’s just as effective. I posted a link to that study in an earlier message.

@Mojo333

Unfortunately the good sleep was short lived. Last couple of nights have been back to the insomnia filled nights.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom