Guest viewing is limited

THR Tom’s surprise<

@Lucky man Wow! We had very similar surgeries. Pain everywhere. Ice, ice, and more ice. I used 4 ice packs at a time on mine.

Tiredness and fatigue very normal. I found mine was worse due to blood loss from surgery. It takes 4 to 6 weeks to regenerate proper levels. Did you receive blood transfusion during surgery? I got one unit and my body slowly made the rest. Lots of protein in your diet and nap when your body says to nap.

I cannot sleep on the side with the plate. It just gets too painful. Doctor says this is normal. I swear I could feel the plate and every cable the first few weeks post surgery.

I’ll be following your recovery. Praying for healing and successful outcomes for you!
 
Yes, I had a transfusion also. Hip surgery was extra long, as they had to remove everything from the first surgery. I was able to sleep on my op side at about 6 weeks, if I got into just the right position.

Still struggling with sleep a bit. I have a few good nights, then a few sleepless ones.
 
We’ve finally had a few beautiful sunny days here, and that has me thinking of hitting the open road on my motorcycle. Does anyone know of someone riding a pretty big bike after hip replacement? I just passed 8 weeks. Sometimes it feels so good, I think I can ride now, other times it seems a distant dream.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Tom’s surprise<
    07B41FC9-B38C-4326-8E14-F0FC5400ECDD.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 182
I have a friend that had a THR that rides his Harley, but then again he needed a THR due to aftermath of a MC wreck. @REM has a bike and I believe he's ridden since 2 THR.
 
Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers and grandmothers out there! I hope your families treat you to a special day and let you know how loved and appreciated you are.
 
What a sweet sentiment above to the mom's and grandmother's!
Nice ride you have....vroom, vroom :hog:
Hope you can hop on it soon. Stay safe when you do.
I know @mcopt has a bike as well as REM as mentioned above....maybe they'll have some ideas on big bikes and time frames post THR.
@Lucky man
 
Hi @Lucky man I had my right THR 31st Jan 18 I had a Harley sportster 48 which I rode a little last summer until hips became bad I have just had the left done 3days ago . After the first op I had the crazy idea I would be better off with a sidecar outfit/rig ? so I traded my 48 for a Harley street 750 with sidecar sure it was easy to get on and off as the bike is stable I managed a short trip on April 25th about 30miles and new hip was fairly comfortable BUT having never ridden a sidecar before was I in for a shock the thing had a mind of its own felt like it was going to spit me off on every corner and put me into oncoming traffic if I braked got home phoned the guy I did the swap with he was so helpful and ok it cost a little but we arranged a swap back ! So I have my 48 back in the garage I could get on and off ok before this op and the forward footrests felt so much better than the mid controls of the street . The things to consider are I think can you swing your leg over bike to get on it in my case no problem on 48 as seat is low and nothing in the way behind the seat looking at your wing with luggage you may struggle the next thing can you easily get a foot down coming to a standstill something I struggled with pre op due to pain but now my right is ok with that again the forward controls help and are you comfy on the bike not too cramped up and able to move around a bit as new hips get sore stuck in one position for too long . I popped into my local dealer the day before my second op just to pass time and also see if any other style of bike felt better but for me my 48 ticks all boxes comfort and usability wise just going to fit some higher pull back bars and hoping if this left is a good as my right I will be back on the road in about 6 weeks but don't tell @Mojo333 though or I will get a real telling off :yikes:. No I will be sensible and if that feels too early I will hold back until I am comfy Good luck there are a lot of hippies out there who are back on bikes obviously caution needed now as we don't want to undo all the good work so I suppose my moto cross racing days are over ! Bit old for that now anyway :snork:
 
I think Mojo will be agreeable as long as @mcopt will be responsible.
We walk through the fire to get our lives back.
Onward...:egypdance:
 
I feel like Irish Joe rides, come to think of it.
And he's a bi-lateral.
Check out his thread if you're able @Lucky man or I'll give it a quick run through later
and see if I can find any references.
Hope your day is good!
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom